Question Reverend insanity story depth... ?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Zanzatora, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Zanzatora

Zanzatora Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone,

I have just started reading the Reverend insanity novel. Someone suggested it had a very deep plot, and that's my criteria for reading.

However... I am already at chapter 70, but I can't find an inch of depth in the whole novel ? The characters are the usual scums from xanxia/wuxia, the MC is also the usual scum from those type of novels. The universe doesn't have a shred of mystery, it's just "vaguely" novel to use that insect concepts.
    There is no questionning of Reality, there is 0 depth of emotions in all characters, there is no superior existence at play, there is no "system" type existence.... The author mentions the MC is a transmigrator.... A total of 2 sentences in all 70 chapters I have read so far, so basically that was just a clickbait setting.

In the end I cannot find any worth in profoundity or depth in this novel. I am wondering if it's worth my time to continue reading it.
    What do you guys think ? Is there some "heaven-revolting" questionning of existence ahead that is worth it ?

2. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, Reverend Insanity is a clear top 1percenter novel. Maybe its not for you? I won't go into the "mc is the usual scum" discussion, I think that's just plain childish.. There's, in my opinion, a lot of depth and some intricate plots here and there so for me it was worth a read, but again, maybe you're the type that'd prefer some japanese works? Perhaps the MC's there might be more to your liking

3. Chillz

Chillz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really great novel with amazing plot. Cultivation ranks are somewhat generic (gu masters from rank 1 to rank 9), but the variety in cultivation paths more than makes up for that. I sincerely recommend you keep reading it. MC is really one of a kind.

4. Olis

Olis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The scheming and intelligence of characters are great. That alone makes it worth the read. The gu cultivation is really unique. It is like having each gu represent a superpower which makes the action really cool, as everyone will use a different combination of superpowers. MC way of thinking is too logical and real, not talking about the ruthless part. It is a cruel cultivation world so that kind of behavior is normal. He is a 400-year-old demon so he won't show his emotions easily.

Aside from all that, it has a very high entertainment value. I don't think it had any boring parts which make me really appreciate the author of the novel. Honestly, it makes me want to MTL full novel in one go as even 2 chapters per day is not able to satisfy me.

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a slow burn.
    In comparison to Japanese novels than end at 300 chapters, it seems like it is too slow
    but this is the norm for published works.
    Harry Potter did not defeat Voldemort in book 2

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  6. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    The overarching plot really kick in after around 500 chapters where he became strong enough to participate.

However, the first volume’s ending is also great. Read it first then judge the story after that.

7. Zanzatora

Reading List:
    Link
    It's okay, I can keep up with a scumy world/MC as long as the plot and characters do have some depth to them.
    However, so far the MC only seems like a basic calculative killer, I can see no depth to him, he's just plain in his archetype. The other characters are also the same, only the twin is "somewhat" complex.

But I can't see anything about "mystery" ? That's what bugs me. I mean, like I said, I can put up with those MC types, but the rest of the novel has to be worth it. There has to be some strange mysteries to be solved or something (I don't count the low level mind games). So my question is, is there anything of the sort ? @GDLiZy says it's after chapter 500, but that sounds so far... xD ^^;

8. expertsource10

expertsource10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Zanzatora
    Your definition of "depth" must be f.cked up for you to comment like that.
    You don't even know what you're seeking and instead, confusing the genres.
    Go, read or watch cop and detectives stories like Sherlock Holmes if you want constant mysteries to be solved, this a cultivation novel. not a mystery-based story, got it? Just stop reading the story before you shit your pant at around ch150.

As for the depth, it has more depth than any other cultivation novel without a doubt. And I'm sure you can't write even 1/10th of the quality of what you so call 'low level mind games' as you couldn't comprehend the stories of Renzu, explanation of the social systems, deep human psychologies behind the characters' scheming etc.

And of all the characters, you call Fang Zheng deep?
    You're a disgrace to human intelligence.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  9. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    When i read first the bit of your reply, i was like "why's this dude so pissed" because i directly skipped over the Op's second comment,and then i went back and read it cause i figured i was missing something and there it was,Something i honestly thought I'd never see...until now.

Lo' and behold, "FaNg zHeNg Iz sOmeWhAt cOmPlEx" Oh my sides!:blobjoy:

Yo Op,yeah nah this ain't the novel for you bud if that's the only thing you've gotten out of bloody 70 chaps!

10. Zanzatora

Reading List:
    Link
    Wew, I didn't expect to receive so much hate o_O; I'm just seeking advice though ?

When I say mystery, I am obviously not refering to detective stuff, but more questionning the reality of the world, of one's existence, interference of universe-creator beings and stuff like that... ^^;

As for my comment about the twin, I feel I must explain...
    MC = demonic killer, end of story, zero depth of character
    All antagonists so far = littles tyrants, end of story, zero depth of characters
    The only one who seem vague is the clan's head
    And finaly the twin who is teared up between the brotherly side and stupidly jealous side, in fact, this character is the only character that has any emotions whatsoever beside anger in all 70 chapters so far. (cuz if you recall, none of the other character are able to show anything but fear and anger... just how brainded is this humanity ?).
    Thankfully I said "somewhat complex", if you had actually taken the time to read before trashtalking... :/ so sad.

Anyways, that's my point at chapter 70. Like I said, I don't mind scumy world and characters, since I've read some other of that type, however it has to has some value somewhere beside the constant "my dick is bigger so ima gonna kill you" genre.. ? I actually enjoy a good wuxia, xanxia and even Xuanhuang sometimes...

baka8roukanako likes this.
  11. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    Finish book 1 and then decide if you want to drop or continue.

This whole thread is killing me :ROFLMAO:

12. penprog

penprog Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you enjoy Fang Zheng as a character you will not enjoy this novel. One of my favorite aspects of this novel is how the author likes to take a huge dump on the traditional MC like characters. (Book 3)

13. Roxxman

Roxxman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait we're looking at 70 chapters out of 2.3k.. Do you want the plot on the platter? gods being involved in low tier mortals? The mc questioning his reincarnation and all that stuff when he's in a world of powerhouses and nefarious plots where he's so weak he can't even defend himself. Also investing time and text on irrelevant people in a novel usually ends up adding less depth instead of more.
    Like when you get further in the novel you know how bad of a situation the MC is in, atleast as soon you start understanding the plots going on.

14. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Our Righteous MC is very likeable.

Human Ancestor Biography is SUPER DUPER FUCKING WELL WRITTEN. Shit could be a religious textbook. The analogies and relations of the scenes are amazing. Story telling is top tier. And thats just reading it in MTL.

15. bakato

bakato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's gonna take a lot more than 70 chapters to get to the bottom of this rabbit hole. Your problem is you've barely scratched the surface of the plot. The current setting of the first volume is just a frog in a well. For now, you should enjoy watch Fang Yuan milk the system. The first volume's hook is Fang Yuan exploiting his clan system for his own gain with advantage of the memories from his previous life. When I first read it, I found his philosophical views on the clan system quite interesting in how it contradicted traditional chinese values. Interesting note:

This is the summary of the novel.
    From Dragonlord:
    Difference is the characters are believable scum. I don't know how many chinese novels you've read, but the antagonists in these genre are usually little better than strangers who come out of nowhere and pick a fight just for crossing their path. Fang Yuan is NOT scum. He may be out for himself, but compassion makes you a chump to be exploited in this world and we can't really argue against that by what we see. No matter how wronged he or how despicable his enemies, he will never hate them. Rather he would admire their cunning. He had no pride to speak of and no bottom moral line. There is no limit to how low he'll stoop in pursuit of his goal, for which he will everything and anything. This entire story is how far Fang Yuan can go. What makes this work for readers is that Fang Yuan knows who he is. He makes no attempt to justify the morality of his actions to himself and if you see him doing it for others, it's just lip service.

The power system is not only unique, but gives birth to fascinating strategies and creative concepts, which only take off when you become a gu immortal. There are TONS of mystery, but since you're so desperate, let me ask you: Do you really think it's plausible that Spring Autumn Cicada can send a mere rank 6 gu immortal with no other immortal gu back 500 years? There are mysteries and conspiracies abound.

Transmigrators are an established part of the setting and have a special advantage, Fang Yuan was not the first and he will not be the last.

16. Zanzatora

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I've read the 1080 chapters that were translated.
    In the end there was only 1 incredible event that one could say "oh this has depth in the story". But all the rest ? It was as basic as any wuxia in my opinion.
    Author desperately insists on saying his characters "plot and scheme", but let's be honest, an author can't write characters that are smarter than themselve so what I read were just some basic mind games. There was no existential questionning except for that 1 I first mentionned.

So yeah, like I said in the very beginning, this story has no depth, or maybe let's call it "shallow waters" since I admit it goes one toe or two deeper than the usual wuxia.
    Though the setup of the five region, heaven's will and the special aperture... tsk tsk, another dramatic copy-paste we can already see in the future...

17. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    If you wanted the "pure intelligent scheme" instead of this "basic mind game" then you better off go read the detective genre.

This genre simply is not your cup of tea.

18. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love human something story/tale.

19. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    The legends of Ren Zu in the novel alone is probably worth the read. just drop it, this novel is probably too good for you.

20. Hanten

Hanten Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you think mc is scum go read some JP op isekai beta MC.
    They're Deeeeeep and Complexxxxxx like Fang Zheng