Discussion WHY IS IT ALWASY LIKE THIS!?!? (If It’s for My Daughter, I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sager, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sager

Sager Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoiler for: If It’s for My Daughter, I’d Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    [​IMG]
    It's always like this for every single adopted daughter story!
    I don't know am I overreacting??
    I'm still not at the end yet so maybe it's not as bad as I think it is.
    How do you feel about this?

2. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow it went that route, didn't expect that..... but somehow not surprised

Your reaction is normal

Peerly, Ars, mir and 1 other person like this.
  3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Please don't marry your daughter

Peerly, Ars, GDLiZy and 8 others like this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe he was just walking his daughter to the aisle, the unconventional way. Ai-chan has seen a bride being dragged to the aisle because she suddenly had second thoughts after having a one night stand.

5. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Because there is a saying that a father's daughter is his lover from past life. Although in this case, it's the stepdaughter...

6. Kuro_0ni

Reading List:
    Link
    On another note, most stories aren't like this. At least not amongst the things I'm currently reading.

Like I've read ones with doting fathers with daughters who have an affection/adoration for their fathers (oji-san) stuff. But nothing fringe-ish.

Like the S-Rank adventurer girl that always boasts of her dad. She wants to go visit him but, she's busy with guild quests.

Theres also the one with the guy who got his guild license revoked and stuff. And he's just wandering the land helping people.

Wujigege and Sabruness like this.
  7. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only know of two out of all adoption novels. This one and Usagi Drop. What are the others? Because as far as I can tell, these are actually quite rare. Well, I also didn't go specifically searching for them

8. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im surprised you didnt see it go this route, i rarely see it being otherwise. Excpet the mommy isekai which surprised me.

9. ebonykun

ebonykun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its the genji hikaru route, standard jp cliche. blergh to me, although i do see the appeal for people who like it.
    i know how u feel, i dropped it as soon as i recognized the story's heading that way. romance like this needs a really good exploration and development if im going to accept it. usually it's not the case. here it's not...

mentioning usagi drop, that made me sad. i loved them as parent-and-child, hated how it turned out.

10. dhRPGamer

dhRPGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For what it's worth, I think it's a really good story.

Is it wrong to fall in love with the hero that came to your aid when all hopes are lost? Is it wrong to fall in love with the person that treated you like a person instead of an object of hatred/fear/scorn after being exiled and branded as a sinner and criminal and witnessing your father dying a slow and painful death riddled by disease?

That, and, they weren't father and daughter. They aren't even adoptive father and daughter. Put it bluntly, this father-daughter parental relationship is only a one sided wishful thinking on the part of the male protagonist, the female protagonist never once agreed to it. She never recognized him as such, and never referred to him as such.

It's definitely not 'that' kind of story. If anything, it's a story of how two people found each other and saved each other from their lives of the darkest of hells.

Peerly, AzureZero, asriu and 7 others like this.
  11. Kuro_0ni

Reading List:
    Link
    See your analysis on the story makes-sense. And it really is one of those adoptive father style relationships.
    I only read the manga chapters up to 16 and it seems pretty tame.

Looking at it another way, She's like the protagonist and the hero is like the main lead. Sure the guy is like 10+ years on him, but it doesn't seem like he carries impure thoughts (or at least that's the impression I get). He just wants to support the girl to live a fulfilling life.

It almost reminds me of one of those White knight stories, where the Knight guards a Dukes daughter and supports her through all his life and she reaches adulthood. It starts of platonic and there maybe room for serious affection but, they stay true to their statuses.

But then again, to compare this story to something more complex is probably a bad approach.

Peerly, kenar, otaku31 and 1 other person like this.
  12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a dumb story concept, but I think I can identify where it stems from. It comes from the same place as action films that try to pair up the protagonist with the female character who is most involved in the story. In other words, if there is a prominent male character and a prominent female character who interact a lot and are give a lot of story time, it creates the urge to partner them up by the end of the story. It's still really dumb though because it's dumb to think of a young kid as a viable romance partner.

Yes, technically, they're not related. However, "daughter" is literally in the title of the story so this is still a Bunny Drop scenario!

13. dhRPGamer

dhRPGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that there's no way, and no point, to please everyone. If some can't get past the title and the few cover illustrations (and to be honest, I don't think there's anything wrong with the title @@) to sit down for a day or two to read through the contents, that's fine too. Those who will read it will, and those who won't just won't. I can accept that.

As someone who has read through the entire novel, all I can say is, this isn't 'that' type of story. And that this story is a good one that's worth reading, and that I would definitely recommend it to those who're looking for a lighthearted relaxing afternoon reading time.

Ai chan, otaku31 and Kuro_0ni like this.
  14. Sager

Sager Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm I didn't really get far I dropped it after I found out about the ending.
    I might be overreacting, for all I know they did it tastefully.
    But I don't think I'll be picking it up again.
    Maybe I'll watch the anime

15. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

16. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You make good points but then why add "daughter" to the title or story in general if it was not meant to be taken a certain way. No matter how you frame it it stinks of "grooming"....

mir and Wujigege like this.
  17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    At the end of the day, it is cultural. I am sure Japanese readers wanted this and/or saw it coming a mile away.
    I only watched the movie of Usagi Drop then tried to find the manga, luckily I found spoilers and regretted watching it.

It is similar with the whole calling everyone brother : oppa, gege etc.
    I am curious if direct cousins can marry in Japan
    @Kuro_0ni @Ai chan
    It was part of the plot of the dorama below. Story was disappointing to me though
    http://asianwiki.com/A_Story_to_Read_When_You_First_Fall_in_Love

[​IMG]

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  18. jawbrie

jawbrie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's legal but not socially acceptable from what I understand.

Kuro_0ni and Wujigege like this.
  19. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. Everything in the story is designed for the reader to think of them as a father-daughter relationship, and purposefully emphasizes that, even though Latina is mature for her age, she's still very much a child. The ending with them being a romantic couple is supposed to be a *nudge nudge* *wink wink* kind of situation. It wouldn't be so bad if Latina was just a minor character, but the story is literally about her, so none of these implications are unavoidable.

I've only read the early parts of the story, and it's actually not that bad. Overall it's still pretty problematic so I'm not sure if it's worth continuing. Also, Latina is a terrible name.

The use of gege, oppa, and onii-chan don't have anything to do with incestuous vibes. Traditionally they are just terms to indicate closeness and familiarity There isn't even anything inherently romantic about these terms.

Oh, and cousin marriage is legal in many places like Britain and a large number of American states. It's a lot less uncommon than you might think.

firefox1234 and Wujigege like this.
  20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that gege is not incestuous, I am just pointing out that it is cultural to call your lover, brother.
    Something that is weird for those of us from other parts of the world to do

ebonykun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.