Spoiler Latest Chapter Discussion Thread for Death Mage Raws

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by FussyBadger, Nov 25, 2017.

1. ssj4maiko

ssj4maiko Welcome Back Sadpanda!

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to notice that I added a bunch of extra stuff on my summary, as I reread I noticed I had interpreted the Gods of Origin part wrong, and added some details that may... Or may not (Probably will) be important. :)

--

In regards to Elizabeth's behavior, as the story goes through, she now feels calmer over the whole thing, but how long they will live under these circumstances... Well, maybe after she ends up as a true friend and finds out that Van already has many fiancées, she may end up going "NA-NA-NA-NANDAKORE!?" (W-W-W-WHAT IS THIS!?)

In fact, I believe that under destiny's irony, yes, Elizabeth will be one of Van's fiancees, but not under the same direct pretense we have right now, in fact, I feel like the best remedy towards those against Van is to force them into being willing allies, you know those feelings the Alcrem has that he is being protected by a spiked shield if he dissatisfies Van? Alcrem is just being paranoid, but I expect Hartner and Sauron to feel those for real, and for good reasons.

So will Elizabeth succeed Sauron? No, in fact, that would be too much of a hassle towards the nice girl, let Rudel do what he wants, and then, Elizabeth will ask him to offer her as a wife to Van or something, just like she was originally supposed to be used, although Rudel will understand, he is the Duke, but Elizabeth will be a Queen, that's the irony I can imagine.

I imagined something like this happening to Hartner at first, but it was too forced, and it's not like Van has any good impression of Urd, meanwhile, Sauron had no one on his family mentioned, but now we got Elizabeth, so this could work.

Rather than Tsundere/Childhood Friend/or whatever, we can see that Elizabeth is a stand alone character by herself, the reasoning why she acts like she does, the fact that she hides her problems and simple things, she is not an ojou-sama, but she is making sure that others think of her like that, however, she won't stop building up her own capabilities, be it in strength or knowledge, she may be one of Van's noblest partners, and one that will actively work rather than have to be worked with.

----------------------------

Edit: Reading the comments, Densuke mentioned something that is quite interesting and should be reminded of.

Yes, Van has a similar past in regards to his mother and fight, but that's Van's story that we and the whole BMR knows of, but not those outside, none of them besides Duke Alcrem, Earl Moksi and the knights knows about it.

To the nobles of Orbaum, Van is an anomaly that may be trying to take over their territory in a mysterious way, but that's because they have secret pieces of info connecting Van to Hartner and now Alcrem's sudden changes.

But to Elizabeth, this girl who struggles to survive with her mother, what would she see? Van is a noble, he is the son of an honorary noble Dark Elf, whatever the case, he seems to have a fulfilling life being strong and having everything he wants, she won't know about his past, but for some reason, this noble from another territory is approaching her for some reason.

She seems to not feel of him as unpleasant anymore, and may be reaching the levels of guidance, so maybe all this I'm adding now may not happen in a direct and ordered conflict, but it could lead to other feelings, like jealousy (He has everything she wants) maybe?

Edit 2: After a small discussion and review with Loki, I noticed that the one who got Rokudou's message may not have been Telkatanis but a third person, I'm guessing it's about Jetarpo who also appeared in Arc 13's character summary. So there is this change.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Claus, hillo315, Mesaphrom and 2 others like this.
  2. jemini

jemini Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, that's quite the assessment. Yeah, now that you lay it all out I can really see Elizabeth being a perfect match for Van. She's worked hard on her own while facing hardships that, while not to the same level as Van faced, are echos of what he dealt with watered down by almost the same degree as their capability differences at the time they were dealing with them.

So, not comparing Van's strength to her now. Comparing the strength of her and Van early on like when his mother first died. He may have been an infant, but he had the tools necessary to cope with his situation far better than Elizabeth could have. So, the degree of difference between the issues they are facing is almost exactly the same as the difference between their capacity to face them, and she's having to work every bit as hard as a result of the difference in capacity.

They would be a pairing that could really relate to each other, and that's something Van can really use in his life. So, as the person likely most opposed to the idea of Van getting more girls in his harem, I actually really do approve of this one to almost the same degree as I'm rooting for Darcia X Zod.

I DO have one correction to make though. Elizabeth would not be a Queen, she would be an Empress.

Claus, hillo315 and Eddy andres like this.
  3. toxinpsd

toxinpsd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't you mean empress?

hillo315 likes this.
  4. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno if Liz is going to end up as a fiancée or not. We might get something a bit different where she is more like a loyal follower/believer in Van due to the help he'll inevitably render her. Eg, a bit like Iris. (Talking of which, I wonder if she will come into play in same way?). Note, I'm not saying that this is more likely than the fiancée route or something, just pointing out that there's alternatives and it feels a bit early to predict how their relationship is going to end up.

That being said, I think some outsiders are going to get nervous that Van might plan to use Liz as a way to get his claws into the Sauron Duchy, like how he somehow seems to have gotten deeply involved with the Alcheim Duchy (at least from their point of view). For those who already are somewhat nervous about Van, I doubt they'll believe it was merely a coincidence that Van ended up in Liz's group. And if it is deliberate that what other reason could he have to get involved with her, if it doesn't involve the Sauron Duchy? For that fat noble who thinks he has Liz in the palm of his hand, how would he react if Van cures Liz's mother? He might fear he's losing control of the situation and does something stupid... and then badly loses to Van's counter. Van might view this as simply helping a friend "a little" but that fat guy is a noble, so would have some connections. So things could easily escalate further. And I'm sure there's all sorts of alternative ways this could develop.

PS @jemini - regarding your description of "tsundere", it occurred to me that it's in some ways the opposite to the "yamato nadeshiko" character archetype. Eg the YN is a "supportive" type who rarely says anything negative, while tsundere would typically be quick to criticise (perhaps constructively, perhaps not). The YN is more low key / low tension, while tsundere tends to be more high tension / high strung. The YN might seem weak on the surface but has a core of steel, while tsundere would seem strong on the surface but be vulnerable on the inside. And of course, the YN would typically be fairly straightforward with their feelings, while the tsundere would be more aloof, indirect or plain in denial.

5. Eddy andres

Eddy andres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    would then darcia be a yn? she almost never gets angry or complains but as soon as she realizes that you are doing something dangerous she will stop you instantly. in another matter, why not even ant people have appeared or giant ants, if there are already bees because no ants or termites.

hillo315 likes this.
  6. kari-no-sugata

kari-no-sugata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I'd say that the way Darcia has been presented falls quite strongly within the yamato nadeshiko model, though it has some Vida specific bits - wearing revealing clothes.

All in good time, perhaps?

hillo315 and Eddy andres like this.
  7. toxinpsd

toxinpsd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to see more van and ainz fanfic detailing how they would react to each otherworld (really need dont them tight just need them talk about things)

hillo315 and Eddy andres like this.
  8. Eddy andres

Reading List:
    Link
    jemini for what I remember was busy with other projects, although that reminds me of a request I have already made here of a fanfic, in which the brave did not kill the undead instantly, they discovered his identity and he and the eighth guide become the black operations of the brave.

hillo315 likes this.
  9. heiro001

heiro001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter's out! :blobcat_hyper:

"Training Inside and Out"

I can picture Randolph reminding the students the point of the exercise in this chapter is "to get experience with a dungeon, not conquer it. Don't forget it." while staring straight at Van. He even almost starts talking about "and over there, Va..." in the same sentence as S-class adventurers like Schneider and Heinz before catching himself. :blobexpressionless: Should he consider it a win that Van decided to secretly explore the entire dungeon this time?

Also poor Orlok, this week he had to put a collar on Elenora, which I'm guessing is all kinds of traumatic both for having a weirdo masochist lady show up in your office and also find out there was apparently an unregistered vampire just wandering around town. Hope he doesn't go back for another therapy "break". :blobnobully:

Also Mari and Ulrica are apparently Dark Ones (aka Human version of Chaos Elf / Abyss Vampire / Orcus / etc.) now. And thanks for this gem Kanako: "Now, take down this army of golems, and take your first step on the path to becoming idols!" :blobsleepless:

Finally, holy crap will you stop already with the wanting to kill and eat dinosaurs Hiroshi! Thank god Van has enough sense to keep them on only golems instead of killing actual animals, because turns out the Amemiya siblings already have some pretty serious issues. And speaking of issues:
    ----
    Name: Mari
    Mental Corruption: Level 10
    Self-Strengthening: Mama: Level 10
    ----
    Mari's so screwed up even her status sheet is getting a little weird.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Korleone, Bla8bla, Claus and 5 others like this.
  10. Ettel

Ettel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wow Mari mental corruption is the real deal... pretty sad actually.

11. Eddy andres

Reading List:
    Link
    she is now with van and mei, for her this is heaven and I think she is on the right path to become a wizard of death, just following the steps of van, the one that scares me is mei, when I develop the ability to unite , it will end up having so many insects, plants and octopuses inside it that it will be more monster than human, and Maria is on the right track to become nyarlotophep. ps: it's nice to know that vandeliu turned his dinosaurs from his first official birthday party into a museum and follows him, and that he will grow much more when haki becomes the dino hunter.

Claus, Reman Scimitar and hillo315 like this.
  12. Eddy andres

Reading List:
    Link
    and officially vandeliu is considered a teacher even by the teaching staff and eleanore must be dying of happiness now that he can walk down the street as a practicing van like mascot, that there will be others (the group of elizabeth, randolph, the people of the street) when vandeliu presented it for the first time. PS: Island must be crying in the dungeon and Belmond must be suffering in silence for not having been the first.

Korleone, Reman Scimitar and hillo315 like this.
  13. sirin423

sirin423 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not understand what it means
    Self-Strengthening: Mama: Level 10?
    is strengthened by receiving the support of his mother?

Eddy andres and hillo315 like this.
  14. ssj4maiko

ssj4maiko Welcome Back Sadpanda!

Reading List:
    Link
    OK, so this chapter has more exposition and world building rather than advancing the story.

In case people don't remember, the Orbaum Kingdom was founded by adventurers who found a dungeon, and made a city somewhat next to it. Since then that city expanded, the founders turned into nobles, and now the dungeon is inside the city, but the monsters around are about Rank 2 or 3, so even if there is an overflow of them, the teachers are more than enough to deal with it.

So Randolph tells everyone that they are to explore, not conquer the dungeon. Basically, the idea of "Adventurers" is more of a romance to this day, many people pretty mostly hunt monsters to get material for sale and live like that, as such, to prepare these newbies to whats to come, they are to properly experience this controlled environment. He gives a speech to what they should be after, and gives examples like the Storm of Tyranny that came back from the Dark Continent, and the 5-Colored Blades that defeated a pure-breed vampire and are now in Alda's dungeon, he was going to say more, but he cut it as he noticed Van who seems to be shaking his head with light coming out of his eyes.
    (From the comments it is revealed that Randolph was going to use Van as an example, since he is not only a tamer, but also a strong fighter)

In Randolph's mind he remembers that the Storm of Tyranny attacked Dukes and Alda Temples from the Amid Empire, so he remembers that it's likely that they have been banned from the Guild, meanwhile the youngsters from the colored blades... They didn't look that much like hero material but... He seems to notice that Van has a reaction against even the name of the group.

He completes the instructions and Pauvina leaves with Reinhard and her party. She had a request to collect medicinal plants from the 2nd floor. Pauvina also has Pain with her acting like an ornament on her head (I now imagine Pauvina with a butterfly like monster on her head). Meanwhile Van is now solo, the reason is that to him, once you chose a party, he won't change, so since everyone in his party are senpais, he will go solo "only" with his tamed monsters. Of course, the rule about not mixing senior parties is to avoid the newbies relying too much on the senpais, it would also be bad for the newbies to make an unbalanced party like only mages or only front-liners. The rule is supposed to be valid for a month, and it has already been a month since then. (Time passed fast, huh).

A student as Van-sensei that his request is about collecting 50 Magic stones, and they don't think they achieve it, so Van-sensei suggests that he can probably get the help from others, for example, if they kill a monster for their task, they can exchange the magic stone for something else, his classmate wonders if that's allowed, but Van says that it shouldn't be, since there is no prohibition in that regards, also the Adventurer's Guild actually recommends cooperation. So this is the situation, Van is pretty much trusted by his classmates as a mentor like person.

The teacher then approaches Van-sensei and tells him that this is a problem, since they are supposed to notice that by themselves, so Van apologizes to Harvinjar-sensei, but reminds him that he is also a student, then, but the teacher insists in still calling him a teacher while laughing. This is Van's current situation, he is treated as a teacher even by the teachers, even Pauvina teachers pretty much only consider them as students nominally.

-----------

Van is soloing his request, he is to kill a stone killing in the 2nd floor and transport all the materials, it's supposed to be a high difficulty level request, Pete doesn't understand what is "hard", so Eleonora explains that the amount of materials from a stone golem should weight tons of Kg, Van seems to also understand this. Eleonora complements that this is certainly difficult for normal adventurers, for normal adventurers. Van accepts the explanation and, to avoid trouble, decides to accept it as "difficult"

Van's solo party is composed by Eisen, Pete, Eleonora and a couple Undead from Silky's mansion. Of course, Van registered Eleonora, to which Orlock wondered if it was a good idea to register the ojou-san as tamed, but Van argues to him if it was ok to have a Vampire roaming inside the city without registering, Orlock frowned and accepted. Certainly he didn't want to put a collar on a young woman, but he eventually did it after Eleonora got angry if he was saying that she was not good enough to be Van-sama's servant.

So Van is now with a Red headed young woman, a mature plant like beauty, a centipede with sparks from his horn, a gardener with scissor like hands that can bisect humans, and a giant chef (Not sure if it's a titan race undead here) holding a giant butcher knife. This is Solo.

Of course, because it's to experience the dungeon, tamers are allowed to bring their tamed monsters, so Van rapidly did his request and easily completed it, and as he found other students in trouble, he cooperated in their own requests.

Then at the entrance of the 4th floor (That they are not supposed to go), he sends Chipuras' group and a DK Familiar. Because Van has not conquered the dungeon, his Labyrinth Creation ability is limited, so he sent them to investigate the area, monsters and plants for the future. Of course, they are not to show themselves to any student or monsters and remain in secret, Bellquert seems to go in a mix of stupidity and comedy act, since they are all monsters, so he can't notice himself but Chipuras just tells him not to over complicate things. So Bellquert understands that they will play hide and seek. *shrug*

And so Van got info from the Dungeons maintained by the Adventurer's School.

-----------

Inside the Inner Body World, Ulrika throws a knight at a rock golem, and it opens a hole, surprising both the golem and Ulrika herself, she can't believe a measly knife got through like that, Mari doesn't understand the surprise, and reminds her that the laws of physics are different, she transforms her hand into a large and hard fist and punches it, breaking the golem. But Mari is also surprised that she could destroy rock with her fist with no magic. Kanako arrived and explained to them. The Rock Golem is Rank 4, their skills are somewhat high leveled, so it's ok, Mari finds it hard to get used to, but Kanako tells her they will get used.

They question her about the differences in physics, she is not sure how to answer it, so she compares to the fact that giants and dragons over 100m wouldn't be able to physically exist in Earth or Origin. Besides they are right now in a world inside the body of a person, they should avoid complicating things, which they agree. Looking up, beyond the white clouds, a flesh colored sky pulsating. Seeing that they understood, Kanako asks inner body Van to create more Rock Golems. Ulrika uses a skill now which again pierces it, she still looks at it with a stupefied face, it's too ridiculous just by activating a skill, she starts to wonder that maybe it's related to her new race, Mari seems to agree that if skills are like this, there should be no need for mages, they consume less mana and with just a weapon you can spam them around, to that question, Kanako could only smile bitterly.

Kanako reminds that they they are strong, but the same skill shot by a normal people will not be like that, in fact, normal people usually can't do it. And also, since they changed race, they now have Superhuman Strength, but it's still a small boost. Unlike the other reincarnators, Ulrika and Mari had not received adjustments from Rodcorte, who had skills like Artillery changed to Archery and so on, however, their abilities and skills are guided by Van and his Divine Protection, as such, they are much stronger than normal people, and their skills were released with great power.

Their training is for them to get used to their new race and experiment Skills that didn't exist in Origin. It seems that Kanako is in charge of their training, she wants them to get strong fast cause she is busy and can't stay in the world for long, so she wants them to get a job change soon, they need more strength to dance. Ulrika is surprised, but Kanako just tells her that she has been trying to recruit someone recently, and she is quite stressed (RANDOLPH!?), still Ulrika doesn't see why are they related to it, and Mari goes straight after Van questioning about Kanako, but all he says is that it's true that it's important for their physical ability to raise, so he makes multiple Rock Golems.

Kanako shouts at them to destroy this golem army to open their path towards idolhood, Ulrika doesn't seem to understand why the hell is this related to idols, and Mari is surprised by the contents although she agred to the task, but now she just wants to see Mama. Ulrika throws knifes, Mari made her arms into scissors and her legs into those of a beast. Van is watching, it seems he is finding it complicated to make their transformation equipment, so it will take more time just like Diana's, he will prepare 2 general purpose ones to give them.

Meanwhile Bokor, Yukijoro and Gabriel are also training their skills from a distance, because never learned how to battle, and can only use LDA, it's still too early for them for practical training.

And beyond, Banda is training Mei and Hiroshi. Mei commands her undead to attack the stone and wood golems, the undead are the weird monsters made by Rokudou and the ghosts like President-san, and they are doing good work through their LDAs and Physical attacks, meanwhile Hiroshi is defeating them through magic, and he wants to fight dinosaurs, but Banda warns him that it's too early, so he will make a dinosaur-like golem. Unlike with Ulrika and Mari, he is worried for their education, although it's normal in lambda to kill monsters, eat their meat and get materials, those 2 are still children, so letting them kill living beings and smell blood...

Besides, he doesn't know where Rokudou's soul is, so right now they are in a protected environment, and as such, they only fight inorganic golems, Hiroshi accepts Van's suggestion, he seems he wants to show his parents some dinosaur bones before they arrive, so Van suggests visiting the library in Talosheim, there are undead dinosaur monsters like a Double Head Tyrano and a Satan Ammonite, some new ones that he got in the last year (It seems they are the ranked up versions from his 3yo birthday present)

------------
    So, about this chapter:
    Van is already recognized by everyone as a teacher-like existence.
    Eleonora is part of the tamer group now.
    Pauvina got a lovely hair accessory
    Randolph seems to have noticed Van's aversion to the Colored Blades
    This should have been obvious, but it seems the Storm of Tyranny are now outlaws, banned from the guild, and considering they attacked Alda temples, I wonder where they think they are.
    The Origin group is training, it seems that some of the LDAs will have to wait more though.
    Mari gets fortified not by Van, but by Mei, so I guess not waifu material. Ulrika is getting there though.
    Also Mari lost her family name, she is just Mari (katakana), rather than Shihouin Mari. Her Metamorph is lvl 10, but Ulrika still has space to grow.

Is Kanako really actively trying to guide Randolph through dreams? This is a joke from the comment section, but could it be that Densuke decided to adopt it for the lulz?

Edit: fixed with some extra info from Randolph's speech.
    Edit2: Another important note, Ulrika has Demon Ascend, Mari does not, but both have his Blessings.
    Edit3: Densuke added forgotten racial skills to the 2 status.
    Edit4: Guidance to Mari

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Korleone, Bla8bla, Claus and 2 others like this.
  15. heiro001

heiro001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mari calls Mei "Mama". Basically because [Mental Corruption: level 10]... but that's Mari's delusion / mental issue / whatever, not the god of skills'. So that skill should be [Self-Stengthening: Mei], just like Elenora for instance has a [Self-Stengthening: Vandalieu] skill, not Mama.

Slightly terrified as to what Mari's [Mental Corruption] could evolve into if it goes higher level. Especially after Van's eventually turned into the [Grotesque Soul Hive] skill that let him eat a god from the inside out.

At this point, I like to think that Pauvina's entire party consists of pretty boys and she's basically playing a real-life otome game in the background while Densuke focuses on what Van's doing. :blobnosebleed:

Korleone, Bla8bla, Claus and 5 others like this.
  16. Mesaphrom

Mesaphrom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't wait for the "must defeat the older brother to ask for her hand" arc:blob_grin:

Bla8bla, Claus, NekoMK2 and 3 others like this.
  17. Eddy andres

Reading List:
    Link
    I am or until now almost all death magicians or users of limited magic have a mother or father complex (the cases of mother complex are more serious).

hillo315 likes this.
  18. Eddy andres

Reading List:
    Link
    If the life of Pauline is a game of otome, which is Vandeliu the womanizer brother or the cold but friendly Sempai. the bow of asking the hand of the older brother will change the perspective of the game and become a game of dark souls, with a single life, at level one against a boss of ng + 27 of 300 meters, leaving only the route of the incest, as it should be.

Claus, sirin423 and hillo315 like this.
  19. hillo315

hillo315 Intact but Tactless

Reading List:
    Link
    For reference: 冥系人種

Possibly because she severed all her family ties by faking her death early on.

Bla8bla likes this.
  20. Eddy andres

Reading List:
    Link
    so if imei is your mom, who is exactly bandeliu or who are bander and vandeliu for mei

hillo315 likes this.