Discussion Changes coming to WW - possibly

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Jul 5, 2019.

?

Surprised?

1. Yea

12 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. Nay

75 vote(s)
    86.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prece

Prece Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems like people here only like Korean novels? :blobexpressionless:

Cultivation novels like issth, wmw & cd are great too.

2. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess i will stick around until renegade immortal ends... I didn't read everything but i did skim through it. The main point is I, like a lot of ppl here can't pay to read(well in my case i am not earning n spending my parent's money on webnovels is...) so that gonna be a problem.

I wouldn't mind if u guys even used the way qidian does it. I don't mind watching ads and doing all that power stone, vote stone business... But if the only option to read is to pay... Well then i am out. Atleast until i have a job.

Kanna Kamui and Wujigege like this.
  3. Nigred0

Nigred0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Solution 3 seems fine, for the most part. 100(?) free chapters as an appetizer looks good, especially with Chinese WNs since a lot of those chapters can be filler - the amount would obviously change for Korean novels (and maybe Japanese ones? Does Japan care about this stuff?).
    I would also be okay with them pricing each book/volume in the series similarly to how physical books are priced (Ex: 10-15 USD, etc., depending on how much content is in one book). Perhaps alongside that, anyone who's purchased a book in a series can get a properly-edited.pdf or .epub of the book they purchased so that they can actually feel like its theirs? Anytime I can find .pdfs or .epubs of the WNs or LNs that I like I would try to download them in case the online source material disappears for some reason.
    I've paid for some advanced chapters in WW before, but sometimes it doesn't feel worth it due to the bollocks that authors pull with their fillers.

Kanna Kamui likes this.
  4. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're great when the mc isn't doing repetitive stuff because the author was burnt out but still needed to hit his daily chap.limit on his 2000 chapter story. Chinese novels are a victim of their platform. Korean novels end in relatively reasonable times.

Kanna Kamui and philosopher17 like this.
  5. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    It'll probably be 2 or 3. Not a big deal.

6. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always had a thought about in reader image ads as a possible way to generate what, in my mind anyway, should be higher value ad revenue, especially if Japanese publishers were to make their own main site and actively try to get along with scanlators. I'd gladly click through a non-redirecting image ad per chapter, in my mind those should be worth a chapter's reading (especially with countless visitors reading). But it's, from what I know, a non-developed idea that would have to be made up from scratch. It could be utilized if WW developed a reader or ideally something that doesn't tank pc performance over bandwidth (I've had serious issues with numerous video ads constantly being reloaded at every screen scroll or next chapter click).

7. Twilight Fox

Twilight Fox 【Foxy】【Ayayayay!】

Reading List:
    Link
    We also contribute to the community by supervising shit posting!

8. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, if we do go with anything like what we've suggested, anyone who purchased any volume will have free access to PDF/Epub/Kindle versions or whatever, we'll make sure that functionality is in. There would also be a permanent offline downloading functionality, so if they prefer to read in-app they can do that as well.

Westeller and Kuro_0ni like this.
  9. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no good ideas in my brain, so I can only good luck and good fortune to WuxiaWorld in the future that is to come. :blobsalute::blobsalute::blobsalute:

10. Eviltwin

Eviltwin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know the numbers but how many people actually view/re-read completed novels?

For me personally there are far too many interesting novels out there and not enough time to get back and re-read them. I would do so for short works below ~300 chapters but rarely for long stuff with 2k+ chapters.

There might be a market for "first-timers" who get into the novelscene and buy completed works like books but I don't have good suggestions for that either.

11. valdesaga

valdesaga [IDN] [7thMay] [V]aldes

Reading List:
    Link
    Time to WAR AGAIN ~

Kanna Kamui likes this.
  12. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Give it a few years. Back like 7 years ago when I got into tled novels I felt the same way... But now I've got to search for like an hour+ just to find any decent potential stories that even partially fit my preferences to try.

I'm not against rereading some of the better things I've read... Tho TBH idk if I'd ever reread a Chinese one. Even my FAVORITE Chinese web novels had huge dry spots that I barely carried through on the first go. Sorta like detective Conan, fun show if you cut out the filler which accounts for 60+% of the episodes, but if you include it its hard to even call it good.

However I'd still buy some of those novels even if I never reread them. Conditional on knowing how much goes to the author, it's a way to say thank you for the experiences/emotions the author gave you.

13. ebito

ebito Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly for me personally wouldn't buy anything digital coz if i look for long enough i can get it for free... but i will absolutely buy them if it's physical for collectible purpose ... still waiting for paperback release of CD, ISSTH, WOMW and other completed stories...

14. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yohoho, a pirate life for me.

Kanna Kamui likes this.
  15. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's time to apply the wuxiaworld tag in your thing down :D

Kanna Kamui likes this.
  16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you suggest as a solution?
    The way I see it, new readers of completed novels will search online and find fake wuxiaworld clones and other pirate websites at the top of the search results and read there

17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Clicking on ads that way is illegal unless on crappy ad networks

18. Chupchup

Chupchup Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thinking a bit more on this.. make it like your Patreon Levels and have the VIP Basic, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum or the WW versions (ie Dao cultivator, Core Formation, etc. Scale the rewards appropriately. (ie 1 advance, 2 advance, 5 advance where possible, etc)

19. UselessWastrel

UselessWastrel Procrastinating Suicidal

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, Started as a pirate, seems like I can’t get away from being one. I don’t know how the purchasing model/ subscription model works but it if works like QI ( insane, more expensive than Netflix, and Privilege is downright anti-consumer ) then Off to the seas I go, WW fell in quality after AWE and ISSTH imo

Kanna Kamui likes this.
  20. Maelstrom08

Maelstrom08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually i really like the third option a lot. I don't really spend money for VIP or anything so im not giving anything to WW that way. But buying a fully completed, well translated novel? I don't see why not. I feel its a way people to support WW without having to pay a monthly fee for novels, when it only totals to maybe 50ish chapters at max. A one time payment, every year or so, given that you buy a completed book every year, sounds like both a great way to binge a novel, support WW, all while helping WW avoid having to go down a possible Webnovel route, and making each chapter a very small amount.

Oh also the ability to only buy part of a book is really useful. Even if a novel has high ratings, it may not be suited for you, so instead you can just buy an arc or a few, read them and see how you feel about the novel. If you don't think you are willing to spend the rest of the money to get the book, you aren't forced to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.