WEBNOVEL PRIVILEGE

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by KizunaAi, Jul 10, 2019.

?

Do you think webnovel is getting greddier ??

1. Yes

92.1%
  2. No

7.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bookwormer

bookwormer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can always count on shitdian to provide drama lulz.

Etvolare had some nice burns about this. She also says there's novels that stop the regular premium chapters and force readers to pay a huge amount more for the privilege? https://twitter.com/etvofluff/status/1146442340300550146

philosopher17 and Juvi like this.
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ( ≧▽≦)ノ゙┳┳

3. Juvi

Juvi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The gall of some of the official Webnovel staff to pretend that it's a "privilege" to unlock the ability to pay for chapters. The gall to even implement such a feature and rationalise it as something that the users would desire. The gall it to even call it "privilege" in the first place.

Businesses don't last by scamming their customers for a quick penny. If Webnovel wants to actually last as a platform, they should not be resorting to such underhanded methods. What's more ridiculous is that they doubled down on their position rather than apologizing, refunding, and correcting the "error".

What they did was straight up dirty from a psychological standpoint. It's a textbook sunk-cost-fallacy scheme. Once users find out that the "privilege" didn't actually unlock chapters, they're likely to actually pay for the chapters since they already spent SS on the "privilege."

philosopher17 and KizunaAi like this.
  4. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    You as a consumer, are reading intellectual property that has even gone through the extra step of translating for FREE. When u took the bait and dont wanna get caught up in the "subscription", you settle for less. We all knew this industry wasnt free forever.

Would you feel less stupid "donating" money for a product, rather than "paying" for it? (Patreon vs Webnovel)

I see the same shit twisted in a way to make you feel better. Not sure why i even click these threads anymore.

5. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    It an addiction scheme. Sadly they possibly can continue the privelege scam for years to come, depends how big their audience is. (Not to mention they probably have funds to last em a while even if they went into the red. Heard Netflix wasnt profitting in its earlier years.)

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of the Netflix Qwikster debacle. Companies will always try to make money.
    Novels are not health insurance.
    It's capitalism 101

[​IMG]

7. Juvi

Juvi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the outrage is large enough, they’ll probably be forced to backpedal.

8. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    HAHAHAHAHA..!!!!
    :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

#excusemewhileifarmnuffieshere
    :blobalert::blobalert:

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Jutenija

Jutenija Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With this move QI may have spooked for life even the readers who weren't wary because of their previous scandals.
    They've already lost part of the NUF readers.
    The chinese onlinee webnovel market is already niche, and now it might end up melting like snow in summer.

Strange...
    Have they really forgotten that a merchand's most precious asset is trust? (At least, that's the first thing I was told in the most basic introductory economic classes I've had)

Also, the true conditions and details weren't made clear for the buyer, so it might even border on scam...

Btw, I have a question for those who know : could this case be an example of Low Ball or Bait-and-Switch, or some other technique? (Just curious + wanting to apply newfound anecdotic knowledge)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Ingro likes this.
  10. Thron

Thron Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Webnovel and QI has always been hella greedy. I mean just look at the difference in price for global users vs chinese users for the SS.

11. TheDefend

TheDefend Public Dental Support

Reading List:
    Link
    You people know how greedy both of them, why willing to pay money and not just take the alternate route anyway

12. Cream

Cream Cream

Reading List:
    Link
    @Everlasting Spring are you aware of the Qidian vs WW drama? It always seems to resurface in one way or another. Anyway, we seem to have monthly Qidian-is-shit threads.

13. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, there were people in the past that claimed this was the business route their company would take. But at the time people also claimed otherwise and that this will never happen.

This will become the new norm, until something more lucrative comes along (new business model).

Wujigege likes this.
  14. TheDefend

TheDefend Public Dental Support

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything that can be shittier will become the future

15. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    That's sadly the world we currently live in.

16. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s already a mathematical law for that.

Murphy's law: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law

Basically mean, as long as the chance isn’t zero, that event will happen. It just may not be anytime soon the greater the odds. (Winning the powerball)

17. Deleted member 188892

Deleted member 188892 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    #excusemewhileifarmnuffiesandreachmymessagecount:blobsmilehappy::blobsmilehappy::blobsmilehappy::blobsmilehappy:

GonZ555 likes this.
  18. Prece

Prece Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys should feel privileged even china readers do not have the privilege to pay twice for chapters.

19. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a peek at the original thread for procrastination purposes fun.

"Privilege" actually expires at the end of every month, so you have to pay again each month to keep seeing the chapters you "bought" and anything else added to the stockpile. So you're paying every month like with Patreon, just paying more and then having to pay again to access the real content.

Deleted member 89812 likes this.
  20. Chupchup

Chupchup Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The naming sucks as usual. I can't imagine it's native english speakers thinking of these names.

Anyway outside of that it's their way to slow down the pirates. Setup a SS amount that is more than what fake accounts can accumulate via their free daily SS.

All good in my book. I can wait. It's always the whales with lots of money that subsidize translations for the rest of us leechers..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.