Resolved What is needed to fly out of the U.S

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Britney123, Jul 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Britney123

Britney123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m a teenager and when you’re traveling with your parents or any guardian they are the ones that take care of everything. Like your passport. I’ve never seen my social security number or my birth certificate (don’t know what that has to do with this). I want to travel to places like UK, Canada, France and I think I can do that because I go to my birthplace Haiti every summer since I’ve come to the U.S 8 years ago. And I’m pretty sure Haiti is not part of the United States. But I keep doubting myself and I need a clear answer.
    Thank you all for answering my questions

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. AerynW

AerynW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    US passport.

You don't need to apply for visa to fly to UK, France, or Canada if you have a US passport and stay under a certain number of days (depends on the country).

But to apply for US passport....you need to provide your SSN and proof of citizenship.

3. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll be blunt here. You should be discussing this with your family instead of us. Communication is key. Talk to them about what you want and how much are they willing to agree with your demands. Perhaps there are circumstances behind this, because normally, you can just ask this from your family or guardian, but seeing you're asking for directions here. There might be something else stopping you from asking them? Honestly, there's nothing much we can do to help except for those able to widen your resources in regards to the state law, your rights to information privy only to you, and what you can do in a situation like this. Though in the end, you will still have to confront your family or guardian about this, because they hold your means to travelling.

4. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    I think most of us aren't American though.

Afaik all you need to travel as an American is a valid passport, a Visa and a ticket.

And no, Haiti is not part of the US. But that you can travel there so easily probably has to do with the fact you're born there, and therefore technically a citizen.

Not an expert tho

5. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    passport,
    Visa,
    Money. . .
    Valid I.D. in case,
    Secret Money,
    Info of the destination,
    Clothes,
    Tooth Brush,
    Tooth Paste, well some places don't or can't provide you with some stuffs so small things will do,
    unless your going to stay at a hotel or something,
    oh yeah a map,
    a charger,
    Utility knife,
    Matches. . .
    tehee~

6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on where you plan to go, how long you plan to stay, etc. But for tourism, a passport is generally enough. Sometimes less - a license is enough to get you into Canada if you live in a border state, for example.

You should discuss this with your parents and/or guardians, though, for sure. Traveling isn't cheap, and I don't recommend running off on your own without proper planning and preparation. Especially to another country.

7. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    The TSA website is your best resource. You will never find a more reliable resource

8. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a plane

9. jamechi

jamechi Will pop in once in a while, maybe...

Reading List:
    Link
    Your passport and other basic necessities. Do what others have said and discuss with your parents cause traveling is expensive. You also need to be up to date on immunizations and know how to contact with your family once youre out of the US (when international, you might be unable to call).

Also research more into the location and how before going. Cause if you're asking on here, you definitely aren't ready to go by yourself.

10. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    A gun desu

11. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't care about having daily necessities, you basically need your passport + plane ticket.
    The US passport is one of the best passports to have. When you're abroad, be careful lest it gets stolen.
    There are very few countries that you cannot go to with a US passport (i.e. you cannot get a visa). You can find them here.
    Note that visas have a limited time duration (some being just 1 month; I personally do not of any that are shorter), especially if you're just there for vacation. If you want to stay longer than the duration allowed by the country (varies country by country), then you'd probably need to apply for a visa in advance of the travel.

You wanna arrive at the airport like 1-2 hours early.

When you go into the US airport (to fly out), you can usually have a (or maybe 2) smaller carry on bag (a bag that you bring with you on the plane and would either put on the floor under the seat in front of you or in the luggage storage above your seat), and some airlines may allow 1 or 2 free checked bag(s).
    If you have bags that need to be checked in, that's pretty much the first thing you'd do at the airport. You'll have to check them in with the airline, and usually, you get your boarding pass at the same place. You'll need your plane ticket (and passport) to get your boarding pass.

Then, you'll have to go through security. (IIRC, your boarding pass and passport are checked before you go to the security check line.)
    All electronics are to be taken out of your carry on bag(s). Your one quart of liquids should also be taken out of your bags. You also take off your shoes. Then you put your stuff in containers/bins that are provided at the airport and onto the conveyor to allow them to check your bag to see if anything's dangerous.
    After that, you grab your stuff, you'll need to find the terminal for your flight. Your flight number will be on your ticket. There's boards that list the flights for that airport and the terminal. If you're too early (i.e. the flights listed are much earlier than your own), your flight won't be listed until later, and you can just hang around in that section of the airport (which usually has shopping [but mostly expensive brands] and food).

When you get to your terminal, there's usually a waiting area nearby where you can sit.
    The plane may arrive anywhere between an hour to half an hour before your departure time. They'll usually call first class, then business, then economy plus, then economy in that order for boarding. They also have a last call (for those who missed their call).
    They'll check your boarding pass and passport. Sometimes, they'll check your carry on bag.

When you board the plane, you go to your assigned seat, and place your carry on in the luggage storage above the seats (if necessary). You can usually switch seats without much trouble so long as you ask the person with whom you are switching the seat.

You may have several layover flights. Layovers are when you land in another country that isn't your final destination. (Sometimes, this is done because the trip is cheaper this way (since tickets may be available from an airline that charges less). For example, A is going to Japan from the US. A goes from the US to Taiwan and then to Japan. A had a layover in Taiwan.)
    It is best to plan for layovers to be a couple hours between the arrival time of your flight to there and the departure time of your flight from there. Sometimes, flights get delayed, which could cause you to miss your second flight.
    You might have to go through another security check on arrival. They'll also check passport + boarding pass.

At the end of your flight, you'll get a paper that you need to fill out. It's about why you're staying in the country, where you'll be staying, etc. You'll need it when you go through customs.

At the arrival country, you might have to go through security (with a passport + boarding pass check as well).
    After that, you'll need to pick up your checked luggage, which usually goes to this conveyor belt circular area. There's several of them, so you'll need to find your flight number.
    After that, you go through customs, where you will also need your passport. (They basically ask you why you're going to the country, etc.) You get a visa to stay in the country stamped on your passport.

After that, you pretty much to exit the airport and then probably catch a taxi.

EDIT: That's it for going to a different country. Coming back occurs very similarly (in essentially the same order). Customs is a little different because you're "coming home."

12. ZachB

ZachB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to breakthrough to Foundation Establishment so that you can fly.

13. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
  14. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    American who has traveled and studied abroad.
    You need a passport book. There is a passport card but you can only use it for mexico, canada, and some of the us territories and it can't be used for planes. To get a passport book you need birth cert, social sec, and two forms of ID. Considering that you have traveled with family and most passports are good for 8 years you should be fine.

When traveling the important things to know/have.
    Money, cash and card(not check). Have two different areas of cash. Carry some with you on your person and hide some away in your carry on. Do not put hidden cash in luggage that goes under plane. That suitcase could be lost or someone with sticky hands could find it and take it. First thing you do in the other country is exchange currency. All major airports have an area for exchanges so just look around for it. Know how much you have with you because most countries require you to declare how much you have brought in. Bring a credit/debit card from a major company so you can use an atm if you need more money. A lot of places do not accept checks especially if you are going to the smaller stores. Always try to have cash on you and go to an atm when you have time if running low.

Next important thing is to have written down the address where you are staying, at least in the beginning, before you arrive in that country. A lot of countries will require you to fill out this little form asking you what your name is, reason for visiting country, where you are staying, etc. You give that form to the customs agent you get and they will ask you all of that plus some other random things. Answer all their questions and don't fidget.

If you do not understand the local language at all watch for hand gestures. A friend and I flew to Rome and a security dog went for his suitcase. I couldn't understand them at all and a guard pointed at me and then at the area in front of him so I went and barely communicated with him(Who are you? Where are you from? Where have you been? Oh a student where is your student id card?)

For the trip back pretty much same thing but US customs take longer then foreign countries. A few things to know when coming back to US: Only allowed two bottles of foreign booze, no fruits from out of the country, no dirt from out of country(Do not tell them you went hiking/have dirt on your shoes!), and america is pretty much the only security that makes you take off your shoes during the security check. Pretty much every other country doesn't make you and if you want everyone around you to know you are an American just take your shoes off in line.

Thats some basic custom stuff and first arrival stuff. Other small pieces of advice would be don't get an airplane seat by the wings of the plane and don't take taxis. Taxi drivers will know your a foreigner and will take you the long route wherever you are going to charge more. If you can't act like a local or be with a local a then a bus or a hotel shuttle(bus just from airport to big hotels) would be the best. If you are in Japan use a train they are amazing there.

Anyway best of luck.

15. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    You should have learned your social around the 14-16 years old is when you or your parents should have been teaching you that stuff. as for passport your under the age of 18 then your parents should be the one in charge of renewing your passport. usually they ask them for ID birth certificate and other form of ID sometimes depends on who is working there some do easy others are picky. if you want to travel and your underage it's usually fine in some countries, but other don't allow solo travel for minors.