I like Webnovel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by lafiel11, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Why do you shit on the people that bring you something that you enjoy?

1. Just want to feel superior

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. I don't do that or at least not frequently.

22 vote(s)
    73.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The amount of novels they translate on top of the mobile app makes me unable to hate them.
    Currently I follow 7 novels there.

I see a lot of nonsense complaints about webnovel, but the amount of work each day to regularly release old novels and introducing new ones, Needs Money.

I don't work for charity and neither do I expect the many translation groups there to be any different.

If you don't want to pay to read, I understand. Not everyone has money to spare for this hobby.

Novels that are translated under webnovel are of many different types and almost always having consistent releases and translation good quality.
    And it's all because people get paid to do their job.

I want Webnovel to continously be successful, because I discovered there many novels that I simply enjoy reading.

People may shit on the "unethical" money making privilege ( smth very close to tier patron of ww), but it's not like daily releases disappeared.

WW also is aiming to change their plan for monetizing novels, because.... Surprise, surprise, things cost money.

If you want to feel braindead reas MTL.

If you want to pirate, do it, but why look down on the people that bring you something you enjoy?

User01, LordCorwin, Naruin and 2 others like this.
  2. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How much is Qidian (the owner of Webnovel) paying you to write this?

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't read any QI novels, don't care. Wouldn't be surprised to learn this thread was made to get a rise out of QI haters. :blobspearpeek:

constant15211 and philosopher17 like this.
  4. MaskMe

MaskMe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bitch they are shifting the overton window for acceptable practice and if this shit keeps going on then the novels will simply become out of reach for most people who cant or wont pay. This simply increases piracy.

Femme Fatale and Maelstrom08 like this.
  5. 2-DKnight

2-DKnight Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I'm neutral of what WebNovel do, I just enjoy the novel itself. But about WebNovel, 6.5-7/10 is what I would give. I'm a lazy nerd so I would like to skip the explanation.

LordCorwin likes this.
  6. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    What a fair and totally unbiased poll

7. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    WW VIP / Patreon chapter = You pay x$ to enjoy x chapter ahead
    QI Prickyledge = You pay x$ to just see x chapter ahead still locked :notlikeblob:

8. True King Kettle

True King Kettle 『Hundred Paths Conquering Kettle』

Reading List:
    Link
    Mainly cause of how black handed they are.There was once a point very far back where people actually respected and thought good of them and that was when they first showed themselves. However they did tons of shitty stuff like F'ing over WW and much more. They pretty much continued to due controversial things till we've reached this point. Their privilege thing from what I read is pretty overpriced but nothing too different t from patreon

9. Eques

Eques Translation machine (not)

Reading List:
    Link
    So they translate a large amount of novels, huh? What about the ones they hog and then drop?

Edit: And nobody would pick them up because hello, Qidian.

10. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing.
    I wrote what I feel about webnovel in the main post, its up to you if you want to read anything past the title of this thread.

11. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Webnovel is too expensive (imo, same with the WW sub system tho), and they more often than not don't have good translation quality sadly. If the quality was better and there was a netflix like sub system in place I'd consider supporting them

LordCorwin and Femme Fatale like this.
  12. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a reason why people need to look down upon people who support Qidian, and it is the same reason why gamers need to look down upon loot box buyers - predatory micro-transaction practices. If Qidian employed reasonable practices then there would be a lot less backlash, but they are essentially the EA Games of the web novel world. They go around hogging titles only to kill them, they employ ridiculous pay models that over-inflate the cost of each novel, and the people who support Qidian are simply promoting this behavior. There is a reason why EA Games is viewed as the worst gaming company (and has earned the title of worst company in the world multiple times) and it is because of their blatant predatory micro-transaction practices. Qidian does the exact same thing, it's just CN web novels is a more niche market than gaming, so the monopoly they hold is greater, and the damage they deal is more evident.

Lonelycity, toyspeed, yserieh and 3 others like this.
  13. thedorkishguy

thedorkishguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First off, Webnovel is a company. A company who presides quantity over quality. So if they don't pay teams of people to translate massive amounts of chapters, they won't even compete with the likes of Wuxiaworld or Volare.

Second of all the movement to boycotting Qidian stems from
    1. They stealing translations and putting it with no forewarning on their site
    2. They paywalling their content without daily, weekly or monthly free releases
    3. Breaking all faith and relationship with WW
    4. Their pricing strategy is absolutely ridiculous (take this from a guy with a decent amount of disposable income) if I'm going to end up paying around $2000 to finish reading a story, I rather not.

So keep shilling your unpopular opinion which makes no sense

14. Xiongace101

Xiongace101 Monkey

Reading List:
    Link
    most ppl dont like one big reason about qidian and that reason is that they are unreasonable when it comes to money

15. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The translators of History's Number One Founder finished translating like December last year and turned the story over to Webnovel. They stopped releasing chapters for months until the story went premium. Then they stopped releasing again recently so that they could roll out privileged chapters. Their willingness to inconvenience readers is annoying to me without saying anything else.

16. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. Touchy aren'tcha? What're you trying to hide that makes you follow the traditional defense tactics of the previous shills (Deny and then redirect with a false accusation. That reminds me, B> Eye Bleach)?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  17. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I wasn't going to respond but... Oh well.

People are angry at QI not for commercialization. That was bound to happen. What people were initially pissed off about was how they stole translations.

I don't know what exactly people hate in QI these days. They are making money, and I am happy for the translators who are earning. They are getting poor pay, but I am not from the West. So my ideas of labor treatment are different.

The reason why I still refuse to read any novels of them (I don't even pirate them) is because of how they stole translations. And still keep doing that.

18. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    Doing some quick calculations, so not completely accurate as I am only using a small amount of info for chap pricing but this should be enough to show my point
    Library of Heavens Path has 1633 chapters currently. Of those 81 are free and 1552 require Spirit Stones. The Average chapter seems to be between 8 and 13 spirit stones each, I only saw a small number of 8 spirit stones chapters, most chapters were around 11, and there are some that cost more, for example Chapter 356 costs 23 Spirit Stones. However, for simplicity sake lets just say each chapter is 10.5 spirit stones. At 10.5 Spirit Stones per chapter, and 1552 chapters total, it would cost $325.92 just to read what is currently translated if we use the lowest conversion of 50 Spirit stones to 1 USD, or $250.71 for the best conversion rate. Taxes may apply, I wouldn't know as I have never bought Spirit Stones as it is not financially viable for me. Now this is just for 1 novel, and NU lists that they have 289 series with translations, plus they have original stories, which I presume can require Spirit Stones as well. So If I want to read Library of Heavens Path, Cultivation Chat Group, and Reverend Insanity, only about 1% of their translated novels, it would easily cost me more than what is in my bank account currently.

19. Magnus183

Magnus183 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am I the only one who just go to pirate site for webnovel..??

20. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgot about how they went to RR and other original work sites, copied over novels without author's consent and then asked for donations for those novels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.