The Untamed

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by cap.toon, Jul 11, 2019.

1. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A novel, then a comic, then an anime; and now a live action. This work of fiction is worthy of a trophy!! OR. Or, does it tells us of how sick and screw up our mental minds are! :blobcheeky:

What do you like and don't like about the live action?

Personally, I think the guys are all too skinny. I thought our handsome undead was going to be half the size of hulk. Yea I know, they are cultivator, not body builder--but hey, some sugar doesn't hurt.

I like the first two episodes, then eventually find myself skipping. They should really get some interns ( free work) to work on creating better CGI. Come on, even college students can create better CGI! The goddess starts out good, then when movement is involved, everything went down the drain. :blobconfounded:

I accept this Wei. His acting is good enough. However, I think Lan needs some work. I barely find anything enchanting about him, except that one scene where Wei wanted to help him with his headband. The first fighting scene was awesome! Then the next fighting scene was :blobexpressionless: *big thumb down.* Who came up with the stun? Fire them! Who wrote this stupid fighting combo? Deduct their salary!

I apologize to the actor of Lan, but when I was reading the novel I always imagine Lan as either Yang Yang or Mao Zijun! I would have a nosebleed if it was Mao Zijun! Anyone think Li Yifeng can pull it off acting as Wei? Maybe if Chen Kun is younger, would he be able to pull it off as Wei as well? Just wondering.

I don't think I'll watch 50 ep of this. Would you? Don't tell me you have already fallen hard for those skinny boys--*cough* tall but skinny men.

Nyann, orematcha and TopCity like this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I am waiting for 'ever night second season'

3. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yea that one. For all the hype and CGI, they didn't work on the fighting scenes. This could make it big as an action and romance series! Imagine MMORPG live-action in Ever Night.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. mejojo

mejojo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the drama and how they kept as many key moments as they could considering how strict the censorship is. The cast is great, both WWX and LWJ are perfect.
    What I don't like is the terrible CGI, the way they give Wen Qing more screen time than to any other character including LWJ, and how keep adding her in every scene, I just don't understand what the point? If they wanted to expand the role of Wen sibling to increase the emotional impact when certain moments happen, Wen Ning exists too? This makes me wonder if the rumors were true

cap.toon likes this.
  5. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    What's the rumor? She going to end up with one of the MLs? Hope not. This isn't a shoujo!! I barely remember her, she was a dancing shadow in the novel. In the live action, she was a moving painting to my eyes.

But they do need to work on CGI. I think they should have cut the film into at most 25 ep, and use the rest of the budget on CGI.

6. mejojo

mejojo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think that 25 episodes is enough to adapt the entire novel, maybe 35 would've worked better?
    Yeah, the one where she "replaced LWJ" and a love triangle was added or something of that sort? I think there were even photos of the script and videos that proved that (someone correct me if I'm mistaken). The fans got so mad, in the end even jjwxc had to clarify that there would be no romance.
    The actress is really beautiful and I'd like to see where they are going with Jiang Cheng being interested in her, but I'm sad Wen Ning didn't get the same treatment, and the times where a side character gets more screen time that the main lead leave me butthurt :blobpopcorn_two::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

7. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    We all know that Jiang’s interest in her is destined to doom. Her clan is destined to be eradicated, and her brother turn into an undead. Jiang can’t share a life with her as he is the heir to his people.

This is quickly becoming one of those skip this and that series for me.

8. mejojo

mejojo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless the drama manages not to kill her just to give more screentime to the actress lol. It all seems so pointless but imagine the angst when she sacrifices herself for Wei Wuxian :blobhyperthink:

9. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    Why the angst? I don't like her character in the book or in the live-action. No heart pain. Honestly, if they were going to give her a lot of screen time--make it meaningful and connect so well with the audience that when she dies or whatever it is -- people mentally choke to death.

In Naruto, when I heard Neji died, I literally want to choke the life out of Naruto. My cousin thought I was crying, but I was just unhappy. But it was an honorable death.

10. mejojo

mejojo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, after so many episodes I feel the same, the drama also downplayed her achievements and turned her into a mellow saint which is not to my liking since I did love her in the book. Tbh the only change I like is WWX spending more time with his sister and JC, the rest feels unnecessary including the sunshot campaign .
    As for the angst: with her death JC will lose one more person because of wwx, and I see some people who've never read the book liking her and even shipping with other characters so maybe they'll feel that way about her death

11. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't say WWX is a big factor in JC losing his love ones. With how chaotic their world is, I can't say that JC would even be able to hold on to his love ones.

12. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My soul has been sucked up by this drama. I had my doubts when I watched the first couple of episodes, but I'm officially addicted. I didn't really like some of the parts in episode 10-12 (?), but it's quite amazing how even with the censorship, the drama is oddly more romantic than the novel. There's lots of looks of longing, maybe even downright lust, between our two leads.

Deleted member 343155 and Naruin like this.
  13. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    IDK. We can all guess the ending--separation. I couldn't get pass how skinny the two leads are and well, the young cast and just plain bad CGI. Maybe seeing this film, mean we are taking one step at a time.

14. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lots of people seem to be pushing that ending, but that's not the impression I'm getting based on what I've seen. All the character songs and clips show a scene where Wei Ying is enjoying alcohol by the waterfall, or that scene where Wei Ying is riding the donkey led by Lan Zhan,
    which I'm pretty sure is the actual ending to the novel if you exclude the sex scenes.

Also, yeah, I was skipping a lot in episodes 8-12 (?), but the drama grows on you. The actor for Lan Zhan wasn't that impressive at start, but I started finding him charming after awhile.

EDIT: I just watched the ending song for the first time. I think I get why people are worried about the ending. :sweating_profusely:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  15. Readisa

Readisa Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agree. The actor for LWJ gets much better later. I think the casting for both WWX and LWJ is a success.

Shaiole and Naruin like this.
  16. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    IDK. I want more sugar! MORE SUGAR! Such an ending without sweet candies is like saying friends forever.
    I'm waiting for more ep to skim through. The CGI is so bad, I'll would rather skip most of the action scenes. For a film so heavy on actions, they fail big time for not focusing on the CGI.

17. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Watching this right now. I already saw the novel, manga, anime and knows where the story is going but still cried.:cry::cry::cry: Good thing I was smart to watch that part alone at home. (Normally watches in commute)

I havent watch all drama episodes but it is good. Although some parts were change: timelines, people present in a scene, and other things. It still follows the storyline, major dialouges and emotions were still present or extended. (Not sure about the BL part at the end because I havent gotten to that.

But I couldnt help but laugh at some serious action scenes. The wire-fu was funny. Some backgrounds were out of place. But this isnt an international block buster action movie with lots of budget. So I guess I can let this pass since I dont know other cdrama it could compare too.

If this wasn't BL, I would have recommend it to people i know in real life.

18. wicketginger

wicketginger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Ooooo same here. I watched only part of episode 1 and had to stop because it was too damn cheesy. The second hand embarrassment was too much.

However, the second season for donghau was cut to 8 episodes and I just need it to keep going. I decided I might as well try to watch it again to get my fix. After I got past the first few episodes, it wasn't so bad.

They did change the story timeline quite a bit but for some reason, I'm good with it. It feels like it's own stand alone thing. However, even though I've read the novel and know it ends the way I want, I'm still emotional knowing they separated in the live action. How silly is that!?! I guess that does show how much it's its own thing in my eyes. My poor heart.

I also agree that you can feel the longing between them. I'm only on episode 10 but I have watched a few amv and I get all tingly. I think maybe a little is because you have LWJ expressing more of his emotions about WWX death and regrets and missing him than the novel provides. The novel version is cold looks and silence about the questions you want him to answer the most.

It's a great fix actually and I can't stop watching it even with it being so damn cheesy. This is my first ever experience with Chinese cinema. They are very pretty people.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  19. wicketginger

wicketginger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I kept thinking the same thing. They are just too skinny. It's almost more bothersome than the overall cheesy factor of the series haha.

20. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't watch the cheesy moments. I was too unhappy with the stupid CGI. I believe what they should have done is focus on the CGI, actions, and have meaningful scenes while they softly weave in the taboo love between two people of the same sex. We have over tons of movies or shows where the supporting characters who's love isn't often explicitly shown yet made the most impression even after many years.

Despite all the good vibe about the show, I feel it fail to keep my interest. The fighting also sucks. If there isn't a good budget to cast good fighting scenes, make it raw and actually incorporate some decent fighting between characters. Current dramas' fighting scenes just plain suck. Either the combo is bad or the actors just suck with posture.