Resolved How would you translate ruby text?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Risuke, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Risuke

Risuke Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know normally ruby text is used for phonetics or spell magic. But I have a case where there is a monologue with the ruby text conveying emotions.

「……お腹空いたな……」with なかす above 腹空

Text-wise, it would be translated as "......I'm hungry......" But because of the "crying" ruby text, it changes the context from "I'm hungry" to "I'm hungry to the point of tears." It would strange for someone to say "I'm hungry to the point of tears" but leaving it as just "I'm hungry" isn't doing it justice either. I'm debating between translating it as "I'm hungry" to the point of tears or "So very hungry."

Here is a gif to visualize my internal struggle.
    https://imgur.com/wpAVLlY

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. Drakeshade35

Drakeshade35 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the context if the character is desperate for food than so very hungry if their just commenting on their hunger in an exaggerated manner than hungry to the point of tears

3. Mr. Meh Man

Mr. Meh Man Subtly suggests yuri

Reading List:
    Link
    That is literally the normal reading of those kanji: お腹=おなか、空いた=すいた

4. Risuke

Risuke Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel stupid now. On the scans they looked close enough for me think they were one ruby text. Now that I am looking at it more closely, they are indeed just phonetics. I spent over 5 hours of my life struggling for naught. Thank god I have other people to point out my stupidity. Thanks Mr. Meh Man!

oblueknighto and LordCorwin like this.