Recommendations Novelupdates is dying...?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by SteelKawai, Jul 12, 2019.

1. SteelKawai

SteelKawai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thing that these novels are much more well thought out that isekai MCs with super OP abilities and harems of girls.

2. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you're truly looking for good novels, just read the Light novels instead(Spice and Wolf and 12 Kingdoms for starters), a lot of them aren't on the radar as of late, and instead of top popularity, search by top ratings, you'll see some of the best works available out here.

kenar, Ai chan, User01 and 2 others like this.
  3. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like we have different tastes.

4. Magnus183

Magnus183 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude I legit realize this after looking at the spoiler thread and most of them is for bl novel...

5. Silvier

Silvier Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I too get angry at my cable company when I cant find a show to watch.

kenar and Shio like this.
  6. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Great yes, I can agree.

But do give us other good stuff with it instead of all of one thing.

7. peanutbutter_J

peanutbutter_J Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At first I also like to read BL sometimes just for refreshing your perspective.
    Not that I hate gay, but simply im straight and prefer to read something i can relate with. Same thing might apply for gay to read straight novel. But 60%(meh just throwing numbers) when i read the genre it all has Shounen Ai, Yaoi, and stuff.
    Straight might become a minority now hahahahah

User01 likes this.
  8. sealteam14

sealteam14 Your friendly HI3 SEA monkey farmer

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, time passed, people changes, and quality story can't compete with those that keep pump out new chapter. And NU filter is just bot spotting active chap posting and the like.
    So, keep your favorite story in a check list so you won't find dissapointment.
    :3

Nightrojan likes this.
  9. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Mate just say you can't find anything that suits your taste, I thought novelupdates was about to shutdown or something :blobsweat_2:

Anra7777, kenar and riririn like this.
  10. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    So you regret the time when there was 70% cn self wishfulfilment and harem novels, where mcs were ridiculously pridefull rapists, psychopaths plot-armored to the brim ?

kenar, Ai chan and chrissy987 like this.
  11. Ophis

Ophis 『God Slayer』 『Dragon God』 『Harem Seeker』

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realize that WMW is literally everything you've just complained about, right? What might change is the execution, but you'll find just as good stories among KR and JP novels. Take Summoned Slaughter for example, it's much better than WMW.

As for Ultimate Evolution.... that's the garbage version of Terror Infinity. Literally, from the characters to the plot, fights and system all suck. Honestly, anyone who complains about the current top 100 novels being shitty while praising Ultimate Evolution as good can't be taken seriously. That story is bad from both subjective and objective point of view.

Honestly, your rant about not finding good novels seems to be mostly from not liking the stories' names/tags or premise and thus calling it shit. But how many of those shitty novels did you actually bother reading?

kenar, User01, dohaeris and 2 others like this.
  12. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually think you're partially right. It's obviously not NU's fault that there aren't many good stories going on right now though. But I myself have also noticed a steep decline in good new novels, it's mostly just standard crap that gets picked up now, even on wuxiaworld.. Though you also have to consider that no Qidian novels show up in the novelupdates top 100 ranking since they are locked behind a paywall and hence dont count on the ranks, not that they are only picking up gems or anything. So yeah, I also think that most stories getting picked up rn are subpar. You also don't see solo translators pick up new novels with good translation speed anymore, so I only check on WW and WN nowadays since the other ones translate either too slow or mtl

I also don't think that it's just me reminiscing about the past, most stories from back then simply were of higher quality.

Edit: @Ophis
    This is beyond ridiculous. Also, for me, 99% of JP is absolute trash and unreadable, but might only be my personal taste

13. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not like top 100 only has isekai novels. I've recently seen many good KR romances being TLed.

As for calling WMW well thought out... well it plagiarizes from another novel (the concept, at least) and isn't particularly innovative, IMO. I feel people just like it cuz the MC is a bit... ahem... different (and appeared right when they get tired of typical CN MCs), but at its core, it's still a transmigrator with OP AI cheat. Leylin's character isn't particularly multi-faceted; he's just black, rather than grey. Don't remember much about Ultimate Evolution, but I do remember dropping it.

User01 likes this.
  14. Lazy Bookworm

Lazy Bookworm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just do a series finder search and double click the genres that don't interest you, then sort by rating/descending.

More novels are a good thing, but good novels have always been a minority. You just need to put more effort into your search efforts.

Nightrojan likes this.
  15. SteelKawai

Reading List:
    Link
    You are right but even older top 100 novels were better that new ones.

Drake98 and reanox like this.
  16. alex1001

alex1001 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    their are still a bunch of good novel that can be translated like Re:Monster for example, it's just that for one reason or another they translate them incredible slow ie the no fatigue story, the masterpieces that was translated by OMA WOTMW are completed, or are just not picked up i know a few but the names escape me at the moment. Lately I've been spreading my wings to some of the LITRPG stories on Kindle Unlimited while still maintaining my favorites here that are left

User01 likes this.
  17. tornberry

tornberry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its more like the fanstranslated webnovels dying, rather than novelupdates. And as i dont read cn webnovels that much in the first place i don't really see any differences

kenar and Ai chan like this.
  18. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    How about you translate a good novel and share it here? Before NU, translation like this need 1-2 months to be translated, But most of them are good. Now it can reach a chapter a day but not many quality read....

More translators are more business oriented than the old days. That's not wrong, but still... Easier to translate means more chaps, more ads and more donations but certainly not everything is high quality, mostly go with the trend i guess. The quality filter is getting rusty because of that i think.

19. SteelKawai

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope you are trolling me. I don't say that old top 100 was a gem but say that the new one is much worse.

Wosefiz, Drake98 and reanox like this.
  20. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately not an option on nuf for op.

The problem here is op is using the series ranking list...

21. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    User01, Esperreal and SteelKawai like this.