Recommendations Novelupdates is dying...?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by SteelKawai, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more suprised by the fact most novels here liked by someone to the point they need to insult the other....
    There are novels that are better than other and other worse, but frankly almost all novel here on NU are Junks Novels...the reason why people are still here is the comunity itself, and discussing with other is what make some novels interesting........if you are binge reading and after you finish you jump to other novels, it's not surprising you start compare them and find them to be just junk.....

and the lack of new novels because of the long number of chapter is also an issue....

2. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Bl happened:blobcat_hyper:

Esperreal likes this.
  3. SteelKawai

SteelKawai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks for the first normal reply

Esperreal likes this.
  4. kryner

kryner BYSTANDER BY NATURE

Reading List:
    Link
    SO MUCH WUXIA STUFF

5. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    when I saw the question I figured It would end up like this hope some of those novels work for you.

6. BarryKaizer

BarryKaizer your crazy fairy godmother of death

Reading List:
    Link
    I blame a certain destroyer of worlds

7. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel updates do not update novels that you need to pay. Thus theres a lot of good stuff in qidian (webnovel website) that do not get updated here eventhough its updated there. Support the author by paying what you read in qidian, authors had tried their hardest for us.

riririn and SteelKawai like this.
  8. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    I just filter out the groups that I know only translate things that don't interest me.

Also, I don't know how a site dedicated to display releases by third party groups could be "dying". It's just that the fad for the things you deem "good reads" is receding and a fad for things you regard as "garbage" is going strong.

9. comradeprozac

comradeprozac Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > Poplular things that are isekai, slice of life and/or harem must be bad.

If you think like that you are never going to find something good in the top 100 rankings.

Really, settings and general plot devices aren't good or bad, it's just how you are using them.

Just because something can be used wrong resulting in poor writing that doesn't mean things that include it are bad.

Maybe the only exception to that I would say it's the Harem trope, but that's only because it's mostly used as a crutch to help the author keep the cast together when they can't think of a reason of why those characters would come to be together and should stay together.

And in regards of A Demon Lord’s Tale: Dungeons, Monster Girls, and Heartwarming Bliss, it's actually pretty good, and the translation is quite solid and fun to read. I would go as far as to say that it's not much of a harem in the first place.

User01 and Esperreal like this.
  10. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BL novels is safe since it wont get licenced, or its hard to get licenced...

11. zajrus

zajrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that's your answer... it's not about Novel Updates, or about how the novels got a deep dive into shitland (which is changing to person to person) but about that right now most of the readers wants to read isekai/harem/slice of life ect... yeah of course it's right now the isekai ect age, but again there was an 'age' before this ect and even your 'age' was a shitland for someone else... but the point is that your novels are still a thing and maybe not in the top 100 but that's something that changes to week to week even in sales...

Sabruness likes this.
  12. Eternalce1

Eternalce1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Zhai Zhu's works is so good. Rise of Humanity could be better but I could see some potential. Tales of Herding Gods is just spectacular.

13. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm surprised OP seems to be ignoring all the regurgitated crap that a lot of CN novels are now.

User01 likes this.
  14. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    If you think about it, every novel/story is wishfulfilment.
    A novel is good once you get invested in the character/s, the world/setting , relationships and so on.

So the problem is not that there are no good new novels, it's just that you can't find any novel satisfying you subconscious demand.

Yes, there are other factors for liking a good story, such as author/translator writing style and ability.

Drake98 likes this.
  15. SteelKawai

SteelKawai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was asking about some new novels ,not saying that there werent any good new ones.

16. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    is there a mtl for daddy fantasy world restaurant? i try searching for it at google but end up with nothing...even for the raws..

17. Eternalce1

Eternalce1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    BTW, just realized that Praise the Orc isn't on Wuxiaworld anymore. Does anyone know why?

18. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    I will admit that yes there’s an over saturation of isekai novels these days and some are made just to bait publishers but you can’t blame NU rankings and call it shit just for having different tastes than you.

NU’s lists are basically made by votes, what’s the point of constructive criticism when they have nothing to do with what’s voted number 1? It’s not like they’re deciding what’s what.

19. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Every day I pray that we might one day properly earn the ability to remove all CN novels by default from the main page and the series search. This would solve your issue since it would go both ways.

demonicdie and SteelKawai like this.
  20. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, usually the difference between JPN Novels and CN novels are quite stupendous. So, while there's always a beta mc or beautiful jade-like phoenix eyes heavenly demonic ice queen, the writing style get very different. They are a different kind of a junk isn't it?

and it was a result of their own rating favorite "junk" novel of theirs that leads to this situation!