Kicked out of home at 18 years old

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ai chan, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan was clicking through quora when Ai-chan came across this question. Ai-chan was very bewildered and wondered if this kid was just exaggerating or even outright lied. But the answers given by others made this question seem like a common situation. Is this normal in America? To kick out your own kids on their 18th birthday?

https://www.quora.com/I-am-17-and-my-parents-are-going-to-kick-me-out-on-my-18th-birthday-in-August-to-make-me-homeless-What-do-I-do-I-don’t-have-a-driver’s-license-or-a-bank-account-My-parents-say-that-I-cannot-find-a-job-but-that-I-am-“free”-to-do-so-once-I-leave

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Happens in America. Sad part is that they never taught her to do things by herself. Usually kid has license, school, and or a little job already.

naghi32, reagents 11 and Igneus like this.
  3. Zom the Monk

Zom the Monk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say this would only happen in family situations that are already very messy, and dealing with probably crappy parents. My parents sometimes joked about it, but that was 100% a joke.

Exitiumm, AliceShiki, Blitz and 7 others like this.
  4. Anonymousse

Anonymousse Sour, sweet & spicy reviewer

Reading List:
    Link
    so parents raise their child as neet and kick em outta house without any money, skill, connection, etc?
    the crime rates will spike up i guess?

5. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Being homeschooled seems weirder to me than kicking out at 18. (Tho yeah, it seems dumb AF)
    As for survival, I suppose that in the USA just like in any other developed country, you can afford a room and food with literally any full-time job, so why not?

@Edit *So if you don't care enough to support a child for x < 5 years for it to have much easier future, why not?*

6. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I am not sure how much I believe of it. Parents kicking their kids out at 18 does happen but usually they at least wait until they are out of high school.

Reason why I am skeptical is that the person said they don't have a driver license, bank account, and are home schooled. In that type of environment where the parents control every aspect of life I doubt they would just throw it away that easily.

However, if it is true I would say joining the military would be the best thing to do. Don't want to fight go for an engineer/mechanic support role. Would give an immediate place to live/eat, training that might be able to be applied outside of the military, and time to think on what the person wants to do.

7. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    They do that in germany too.... Some parents do that..... some even without telling the kid and just kick them out when they are 18.

8. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, this is not common, at least here in South America(BR).

anhrefn likes this.
  9. Ssnow

Ssnow Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It happens when you have crap parents and it's terrible that any parent would do that to a child. Thankfully most school systems have housing/support systems for kids that have left their parents or have been kicked out. I would suggest to anyone in that situation to talk to a teacher they trust or a counselor on what options are out there. Or if you have awesome friends with cool parents they might let you live with them and help you get on you back on your feet.

10. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of my cousins were kicked out at 16. Their step father was abusive (he even did it to his own kids--one of whom was in a car accident where she was the only survivor but had severe injuries). One of them ended in jail, another became a...wild child, and another was found dead a few years ago in suspicious circumstances.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  11. Chupchup

Chupchup Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's definitely more to this. I don't get the part where the 17 year old can't go out and find a job now? Parents that kick their kids out would want their kids to get a job. Why would they care if he/she already getting kicked out? Normally you will kick someone out because they don't listen and/or there are some messy stuff happening. Violence to the parents? violence to siblings? drugs? Do the parents have other kids? Would just by you being there be a negative influence on the others?

Also they are letting you know in advance what to expect. Plan now. Line up a job. Line up a place to stay.

Wujigege and UnknownSaint171 like this.
  12. Jerry chicks

Jerry chicks Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    These things happens a lot here. Most parents won’t have their kids in their home past 18 but would expect them to be great all by themselves. It’s sad really.

Wujigege likes this.
  13. LK

LK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not too uncommon but usually it's at 19 or 20 so they have a job or are going to college

14. Lordnightowl

Lordnightowl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO WITH YOUR LIFE?" i wanna rock. i want to rock.-Twisted Sister
    Dean Snyder is such a clown.

Wujigege, Gitami and mrawesome69 like this.
  15. Narr-master

Narr-master Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cases of abusive parents aside, it's not common at all in latin america.
    Usually kids still live with their parents during college, and even after getting a job. It's been only more recently where I live that kids leave their parents home after college.
    And there'e the expectation of taking care of your parents once they are old.
    Very family oriented around here.

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. Enny2209

Enny2209 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow that's terrible
    In Italy there's a law where parents have to support their children till they are fully independant or till they have finished their studies...I find that situation very uncommon anyway if she/he's homeschooled it's difficult she/he knows anything about the world, it's very harsh.

Disgusting and Cutter Masterson like this.
  17. eiruxise

eiruxise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    come to asia, find a new pair of parent, and get your life controlled, or at least influenced by your parent for as long as you/they live

Gitami, Emmyy and SinCity like this.
  18. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it's not common. But kids often do move out after high school, and they're often expected to. Ideally, they'll attend college first, but either way they're not supposed to hang out with mom & dad until they're thirty. But most parents will not kick their kids out directly. They'll encourage them to find jobs, help them find a place, etc. -- Many will move out to live with a significant other. @Ai chan might not be embarrassed about having sex in her parent's house, but other people are!

In fact, basically no parents will directly toss their kids out on the street at 18. That's not normal, no. The only reason that would happen is because 18 is seen as the end of a parent's legal obligation to care for their children - it's the point where they don't have to take care of you. And if your parents are kicking you out the minute the law says they can.. well, they probably weren't good parents.

Of course, it's also possible that 18 y/o was some kind of drug addict that refused to even consider getting a job, begged or stole from his/her parents for those drugs, or god knows what else. Maybe robbed a liquor store. Not all kids are angels, basically. If you treat your parents and your own life like shit, it's really not surprising if they kick you out of their home.

19. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    Alabama has other uses for a kid who recently turned 18. :rolleyes:

20. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The parents should not be parents in the first place if they can't afford to be proper parents. I bet a million souls somewhere in the West, that kid is adopted.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.