This is clearly Extortion

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Melynda W., Jul 14, 2019.

1. Melynda W.

Melynda W. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just read the Forum rules and I believe that right now I am Breaking none of Them. But if I am wrong please Notify me so I can delete this post.
    Being a Translator myself I know how hard is for a translation be done. The hours you spend in front of a computer or trying to translate a frase that does not makes sense in your language. So I understand the desire and need for monetary compensation but what you are doing is RIDICULOUSLY WRONG.
    Seriously, I understand that the chapter is gigantic, so you have to separate then in pieces.
    But post a 850 minus words as a chapter just for you to have a bigger quantity of it is shameful.
    I do realize that 4560 is ridiculously high, but so many people translate the same quantity and do not makes so many separate parts.
    Like you can see that the others translators are separating the chapter in parts because it is to many words, but they do not pretend that these parts are chapters, they made it clear that it is the same chapters but posted in different parts.
    But the way you guys do it is just wrong, you sell a 1/6 of a chapter for 5-6 dollars. And you guys act like you are making a combo of 10-20 chapters with the user paying 100 dollars. When in reality you are giving then 3-5 chapters for 100. So you are basic selling a product for 10 times it's original price. And if this was not a online 'fan' thing it would be a crime, oh and not mentioning that apparently you guys do not have legally a license to translate it, so you are actually doing piracy, because for the way you are doing things you are not a fan just someone trying to get as much money in something that does not belong to you.
    I know that every one wants money but what you guys are doing is shameful and disrespectful for you readers.
    So please do better the translation team of The CEO Childhood Friend and Word Excerpt!!!

2. peanutbutter_J

peanutbutter_J Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When i read the upper paragraph i have faint premonition which party you are referring and finally it is indeed the party i assume.

Hahahaha, put it this way it indeed is not really ethical but im just a freeloader so i dont have right to voice my opinion

3. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    They sound like Elysion :blobdevil:

4. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :sweating_profusely: Glad it's not a novel I read. Way too much drama...

Then again I know the feeling. I hate it when they split the god damn chapters into these tiny ass sub-chapters. It's even worse when the original is short as fuck. :blobangery:

5. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t pull the piracy card. Without piracy, NU wouldn’t even exist.

The early pioneers of translators are all “pirates.” Translate first, [never] ask permission later.

6. eroxaz

eroxaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when I read it, I thought its "how to Live as the Enemy Prince"
    but then, its the same site after i search it

I am shocked too when see their tier in enemy prince, so I just wait for free chapter hehe
    I am really grateful with translation, maybe if they really put 10 chapter ahead, not seperate chapter count as chapter, they will get much more patreon.

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  7. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol i immediately guessed who.
    I remember one of them posted 3 'chapter' to a supposed daily/once per two day novel, calling it bonus, and then not releasing for 3 full days.
    Those mafia goddamn bamboozled us.

8. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally thought you were going to rant about someone else.

Or maybe it is who I think it is:hmm:

9. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    generally all chinese novels with female leads that I've read in the past are all like that.

FlufflyLittleRabbit likes this.
  10. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The translator, probably :
    [​IMG]

11. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe not extortion but definitely a scam. Even Wujigege's 6 page split chapters for more ad views sounds better than that.

12. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and that's why I blocked even seeing updates from that site .... and the last time (before the block) I even checked out an interesting translation the quality was so poor you needed to translate the translation (my personal pet peeve lol)....

13. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like you haven't seen a real-time translation being done.
    It's just a matter of proficiency

14. Melynda W.

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is. The others translators use the translation just to bring the novel to non speakers of the language. And the monetary reward is just a natural and good compensation, but getting money is not the objective.
    They are different they translate unique to get the money.
    So what they are doing really is piracy. But what the others are doing is different. The others translators actually are doing it because the like the novel and want to translate it, money is just a plus.

15. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Who?

16. Melynda W.

Reading List:
    Link
    Never.i don't know enough discord channels to be able to see it.

17. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember I tried to be a patreon for Ankoku Kishi, but I only got access to the unedited current chapter (for patrons). That left me with a gap of 5 chapters (at the time) that I would have had to pay full price. Either that, or just suck it up and wait for them to release the chapters in the gap while not having context for what I'm currently reading.

I eventually just mtl'ed it for myself. Wasn't even the gibberish that Google translate usually is, I made it to the most recent raw chapter without getting a headache and could understand 97% of what was going on without re-reading.

18. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    I wont name them. But its one of the two from OP's post.

19. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe not the right sub. Less readers will visit this sub, translation team u mentioned will certainly not read this sub. So...

20. mangaling

mangaling Less than average

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda out of the blue but the last sentence is so similar to one part of a recent chapter I translated. :giggle: