Discussion I am starting to hate Japanese novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Darkcrow., Jul 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the issue is also this: Japanese novel industry has very few publishers. They just have many labels, so you have to sing their tune.
    Unlike in China where anyone can start a website and be a webnovel platform.
    I found it hypocritical and pathetic when I saw this
    Kadokawa will start banning Isekai submissions:
    https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1619171

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. zanari

zanari Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    to be honest i'm not even remotely disheartened by this and actually think it should have a positive influence on breathing some fresh air into a stale environment. aspiring authors are not dumb, they see what's making money on the market and target it so competitions like this one will 100% be drown in trashy isekai submissions as nothing everything can be a gem. so they choose instead of having to sift through mud they'd just ban them altogether and move on which a though decision as other publishers usually are reluctant of cutting their bread and butter even when it's painfully obvious that it has problems.

the articles are from 2017 but i couldn't find anything about how did it pan out... if you have a link to that please share.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    All the recent anime were isekai, I think it backfired.
    I probably need to study it more unlike Chinese and Korean novels. Japanese novels are available legally for free

4. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate Japanese novels too, but 1 and 3 are the same for Chinese novels and Korean novels, only less than Japanese authors. And for 2, I don't know what is worse, a naive mc or a retarded mc that starts a fight with anyone just to eventually run away and hide.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    drollawake, User01 and mir like this.
  5. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I still read JP novels.. there isnt much good ones compared to the not but they do exists.
    And it isnt like all the MCs on all JP novels are beta either..
    Like that "to be the power in the shadows". Which the MC is quite unique because of his delusional screw loose in his head personality.
    Theres some more on top of my head..
    But if you dont wanna bother to look, then its simple to just cross the whole jp novel off.

User01 likes this.
  6. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Lucky your only hating japanese light novel now, i hate most light novels both from JP, CN and KR now except for a few.

User01 likes this.
  7. constant15211

constant15211 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Give me a book that does not have a naive MC... I really hate those kinds... Especially when they get betrayed and yet still act like a total virgin In front of beautiful girls... Fuck those kinds.... I want decisive MCs who know what they want and get it

Sabruness likes this.
  8. lemmepokeyou

lemmepokeyou Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Not much to say about this point, I don't get why people love loli so much...
    2) Yea I've noticed that JP novels have more naive MC than KR and CN combined... having said that, I feel like most CN MCs are excessive and I hate how in KR series the MC has to constantly hide their identity. I've never understood the, "even tho i'm the king of the world, if people find out i'm going to be chased down" and often only care about clearing the dungeon. As much as I hate the average naive MCs in JP, I gotta give props to JP series when they don't have it as a coward because I feel like
    - On average, "Average"-tier of the novels = CN > KR > JP
    - On average, "good"-tier of the novels = JP >>> KR = CN
    - And on average for "bad" series, i still feel like JP series are better. At least when people complain that isekai is bad or this is bad or w/e, for the Japanese "bad" series, you can still enjoy the first few chapters until it gets bad. All IMO btw.
    So when I find "good" Japanese series, I'm very excited.
    3) Idk... I feel like CN/KR series are just as bad with the girls falling on MC even though he's done absolutely nothing. If anything I have to say JP > KR > CN on this point. At least in JP series, you don't have the girls falling for the MC after the MC raped her or cheated on her like in the so many of the CN series. And you don't have girls falling on the guy even though he's abusing or playing on her like in a lot of KR series.

kurisomething and drollawake like this.
  9. Exvalkyrie

Exvalkyrie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While i do want to put some names, can you specified the genre?

constant15211 likes this.
  10. constant15211

Reading List:
    Link
    Give me your Top 5 or 10 if you're feeling good.... I don't have much of a preference but I like something medical....

11. noriga

noriga Smile ..

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you know God Grid?

12. Exvalkyrie

Exvalkyrie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Girl Who Ate a Death God
    Akuyaku Reijo Ni Koi Wo Shite
    Youjo Senki
    Senketsu no Elf
    My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending
    Arafoo Kenja no Isekai Seikatsu Nikki
    Underground Doctor
    Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu
    Shinwa Densetsu no Eiyuu no Isekaitan
    Shini Yasui Kōshaku Reijō to Shichi-nin no Kikōshi
    Wortenia Senki(WN if you don't mind rough diamond AKA unwanted filler word)
    Because Janitor-san Is Not a Hero(need high understanding cuz translation)
    The Spearmaster and the Black Cat
    The Demon King Seems to Conquer the World

constant15211 likes this.
  13. constant15211

Reading List:
    Link
    Wowowowowowow. O.O so much too read.... I'm drooling.... Fuheewww...... Thank you.... Onii-chan or Onee-chan. Daisuke... Mwa!

14. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best example of this is the barrage of isekai anime we have been getting that are literally cardboard cut outs of previous seasons. They may be generic as hell and even down right terrible but their fanbase will support them to hell even if the writing was probably done by a 12 year old.

Sabruness and Wujigege like this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    According to @Cryarc , this was written by an actual high schooler lol
    [​IMG]
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/renkinjutsushi-desu-jijou-wa-gomibako-ni-sutete-kimashita/

upload_2019-7-14_23-11-41.png

firefox1234 likes this.
  16. firefox1234

Reading List:
    Link
  17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with Japanese web novels wasn't the age of the writers; it's that it's an incredibly insular community. That by itself is pretty bad because it means that their books will rarely incorporate ideas from outside of otaku works. What makes it worse is that the writers also eschew all sorts of the techniques that make for good writing. Try reading a good Japanese writer, and the stuff that comes out of Japanese web novels will look that much worse in comparison.

18. firefox1234

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh I have never measured Japanese writing by the LNs/WNs or even manga and anime since that medium is mainly targeting a specific demographic. However, it is sad that in the mainstream world when people think of Japanese writing the stuff I mentioned is probably what comes to mind for the not so intellectuals that aren't familiar with works like Tales of Genji and etc...

19. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that this is really only true of younger people who are interested in otaku works. Regular book readers will be more familiar with writers like Murakami Haruki, so they'll be fine. Obviously that's not true of readers on NU in general, but they're hopelessly narrow-visioned anyways.

Wujigege, firefox1234 and kenar like this.
  20. Fuwafuwakid

Fuwafuwakid [HIGH-CLASS POTATO] [BAMBOO MUNCHER]

Reading List:
    Link
    I just cant stand reading chinese novel with their random "flying sword" and "cringey" cultivation .. seriously im picky about my novel but i just cant stomach it so i just settle with a good jp novel to read ..

I can still handle korean one BUT I DONT LIKE MOONSLIGHT SCULPRTOR IDK WHY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.