Why Fan Translators Will Betray You

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I could try writing 300 pages but that won't be fun.
    Simply watch the video below and replace "Ethusiast brands" with "Fan Translators"

@lnv @Wu Jizun @AliceShiki @Ai chan

upload_2019-7-15_16-47-35.png

Personally, I rather start as a villain from day one.
    [​IMG]

@drewjn explains it better. I was referring to selling out or folding.
    You can replace Betray with Sellout
    Whichever floats your boat

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But QI will never betray u. :blobangel:
    -
    -
    Cuz betrayal can only happen if u trust. :blobcheeky:

3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    No, we have never betrayed anyone. I don't care what slander you are on. We did it for ourselves and for the authors. You on the other hand, do it for money, of things you have no right of. We did it because we love the author and we wanted to tell people the author we love is awesome. We gain nothing from it.

There, I have filled my quota of rage for a day. No I will not watch your video. You just want to justify your own lawbreaking anyway. I won't call anyone, but you know how this will go down considering you love painting yourself as the hero and has been doing so over and over in other threads.

4. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    QI was never a fan translator. My point is that their model works.
    The model that our "enthusiast" community wants is not sustainable.

This is very sad.. I hate to break it you but if real life gets in the way and you did not complete a story. Some readers will feel betrayed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
    Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  5. Mazino

Mazino The final chapter.

Reading List:
    Link
    the great spam fag wuji back at it again with shitty bait that sure to ruffle five feathers before dipping back into obscurity, Asian hobbyist is trash btw.

aru.gent, Dark Omega, Solus and 4 others like this.
  6. Haylias

Haylias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If anyone actually feels genuinely betrayed over something so petty, then they need to look inwards first.

Of course, things are a little different if we're talking about someone pay walling on patreon and never actually releasing the paid for content, but that's another matter entirely.

7. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
  8. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what you think betrayal is. but personally, I enjoy the journey rather than arrive at the destination. and I think everyone should be thinking that way as well. Whether fan translators could finish the story or not, we should appreciate that they have brought interesting stories for us to read. this applies to many things, not just translations. Just treasure what you have now and be grateful with it.

StuffedDuck, OceanMagix, Moy and 10 others like this.
  9. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Wuji's been taking courses in pulling aggro from QI. Why else has he been shitposting so much lately?

aru.gent, TamaSaga, Kuro_0ni and 5 others like this.
  10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    How is that betraying anyone? We didn't translate for 'fans' (read: entitled snowflakes), we translate for the author and for ourselves. If real life gets in the way and we did not complete a story, that is for our own good. We are not betraying ourselves. If we stop translating because a title gets licensed, we're still not betraying anyone. If a story gets licensed, that means the author gets paid. We're not betraying anyone.

You on the other hand, betrayed the author, the publishers and those who stand to gain from the sale of the books you unjustly take money to translate. These are people who spent a lot of money to get where they are entitled to make money with the title. Authors spent months and even years trying to get a story down on paper. Publishers spent a lot of money to hire artists, print the books, promote the books and distribute the books. Retailers spend a lot of money paying for business permit and the infrastructure necessary to get the books sold to readers. You ignore the author, the publisher and the retailer.

I know you won't understand anything I said since you keep bringing up the same narratives, because you just want money. So I will not be returning to this thread.

11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans are not always rational.
    When we only had fan translators that was fine but when we have companies for readers to compare to, it becomes a different ball game.
    I know many fan translators that have folded.

Many point out how 1 chapter a week used to be considered great, now you get insults for 1 chapter a week lol

12. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw the title of this thread and before I even clicked on it I knew it was a Wujigege thread.

13. Haylias

Haylias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really care if I get complaints about one chapter every three months, I translate what I want when I want.

It's not as if I've sworn some sort of sacred oath with the reader or something. If they feel 'betrayed', that's entirely their fault.

14. ZachB

ZachB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I miss the good old days with spcnet, baka-tsuki, royalroad, japtem.
    Before everything blowed up.
    Translators who translates for the sake of spreading the beauty of the novels and readers who demands a chapter everyday.
    Everything have changed now. Is it good or bad? Idk.

15. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Um, what do you think about those translators that recently were accused of doing extortion by cutting chapter into parts and putting too high price on each of it? Can they use this to justify it? Like, "Well if u want to read for free just wait then, you aren't entitled of anything." And no, I'm not saying something about you, I'm just curious of the way of the world.

17. comradeprozac

comradeprozac Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's your problem, because an enthusiast brand isn't the same as a fan translation.

A fan translation is someone doing a translation of something that they like because they like it, not to make a profit. If you are thinking about making a profit out of something that could be considered illegal then....

18. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is like the argument of 'selling out.'

An artist or band is doing things out of self promotion. A brand seeks to self promote and grow. A fan translator does it first for themself, or later for money as a way of self sustaining.

To believe anything otherwise is not their fault, but yours. A company can claim 'for the consumers' but does that last until the next ceo, end before it, and how much are they required to stick by a non legally obligated morale promise? In the case of artists and fan translators, even more so does this apply.

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I always wanted to do subtitles, so this is a good opportunity to switch over haha

@drewjn explains it better. I was referring to selling out or folding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  20. zarvi

zarvi Ojisan

Reading List:
    Link
    wrong,
    because some other translators will still pick it up, so stop translating please.

aru.gent and TamaSaga like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.