Gaming Laptop under $1500 Recommendation

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Fluffy Jellyfish, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello fellow nuffians..

So, tomorrow I will buy laptop with decent or high-enough spec that can keep up 3 or 5 years from now.

I already browse some of the recommendation from website or even youtube reviewer and I still feel the need to ask from anyone that already have or know some information about laptop that may suit what I want

Firstly, It needs to be under $1500 or to be exact not past $1400 as my budget is currently limited and I can't afford higher than that

Second, the laptop design need to be stylish enough and not feels "too-gamerish". Or in simple word, I avoid black and red color scheme.

For now, I'm currently still deciding between ASUS ROG Strix GL503GE and Lenovo Legion Y530. From some review, I find that Strix GL503 tend to have problem with its fan while Y530 sRGB (color accuracy) isn't really as high as GL503.

Can anyone give me some insight or even other recommendation to go?

Any kind of comment is appreciated. Thank you :blobsalute:

2. Xiongace101

Xiongace101 Monkey

Reading List:
    Link
    custom order one i know its possible just not where

3. pocketbear

pocketbear !!!!!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    So I'll just put this out there.... if you really want something to hold up decently with gaming you want a desktop. A laptop made for gaming is heavy (wtf is the point of portability when its this heavy), all my friends that got em never even moved em it was inconvenient. For 1500 you can build a decent pc with used parts. Check out hardware swap on reddit. Building a pc isnt too hard, so many youtube videos to follow. And although some parts are more expensive when it comes to building, you can upgrade easily and swap out as you need and keep it up forever.

Thats my 2cents.

Seigin, Necromanico and Sin like this.
  4. pocketbear

pocketbear !!!!!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    IBuyPower is a custom gaming laptop site, its not bad, my sister used it.

5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I read somewhere that you should get Dell XPS 13 as it is the best (not sure :blobunsure:), try to search for recent laptops under $1400

6. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Color accuracy and gamut don't really matter unless you're doing professional graphic design or editing. As long as it's not awful it will give acceptable results.

Fortunately gaming laptops have gotten a lot thinner and lighter. They're about as heavy as "regular" laptops used to be around 5 years ago. Of course, regular laptops have gotten a lot thinner and lighter too, so they still look chunky in comparison. Yes, the best laptops will never match a desktop in performance for the same price, but the portability and convenience can make up for that.

If you want to still keep gaming with the same laptop in 3-5 years, prioritize the fastest GPU you can find in your price range, and make sure you have at least 16 GB of RAM or the capability of adding more. GPU is still more important than CPU for gaming performance.

7. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    I found it in range of $2200
    haha...

I wont resort to gaming laptop if I'm currently not high in mobility.

But, wont the sRGB result affect the overall display of the monitor? What I actually imagine by sRGB result is a color is not displayed as that color 'truely' in the display

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  8. Poisonheart98

Poisonheart98 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would recommend an HP Omen, tbh

9. Fluffy Jellyfish

Reading List:
    Link
    I see the spec and its good, but I really hate the monitor with 2 pillar supporting it

10. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah the color gamut not covering that color means it won't be reproduced faithfully by the display. It will go to the closest color it can. Usually the blues and greens on cheaper displays are not as vibrant as the full gamut. Like I said, not that important for gaming but important if you're doing color-sensitive work like professional graphic design or video editing.

The Lenovo Legion Y530 seems to trade color accuracy/gamut for high refresh rate, which many think is more important for smooth gaming. But I'm not sure how high a refresh rate the included GPU can actually push.

Fluffy Jellyfish likes this.
  11. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    When comparing screens, the color accuracy isn't too important as long as it's good enough, brightness is more important in daily use. Be careful though, there's two different screens in different models of the y530, and use the specs or something to determine which model you have your eye on. One of them is pretty good, one isn't really. I linked a review from an excellent site with IIRC the good one earlier.

The main flaws of the Y530 are subpar speakers and the hinge. It doesn't close magnetically, you just ... close it. Need to put it in a sleeve or something. That aside, it's a sturdy laptop and it's relatively easy to open up and replace something. Oh, and the webcam is at the bottom but who cares.
    Some models have the inferior screens though, and some models come with an absolutely awful WiFi card. You want one of the AC9560 models, not the ones with Realtek WiFi. That said, the WiFi card is easy to replace and it literally costs ten bucks, so there's that.

I'm happy with it. Silent fans while browsing, and is able to stay cool. Slim bezels except for the bottom side. Good specs.

It's better to link the exact models you're looking at, because there's always a million different versions.

I'll just put this out there, some people e.g. live at two places or want to be able to take their computer with them, so they buy a laptop because that is by far the most practical solution. The reason I don't like people saying "build a desktop" is because they think the other person is too stupid to think about their own use case. It happens I guess, but usually it's not much of a help.

Nowadays there are laptops that hold up in performance, aren't complete bricks and don't constantly overheat. You pay more, but that's only normal. As for lower budget gaming laptops, isn't a 1060 just fine for most if not all games? Remember, there's no difference anymore between desktop and laptop video cards. Same silicon.

For 1500, you can build a good PC with new parts.

12. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Asus is not bad, but I find MSI GL63 8SEK-684 is a bit better in value.
    Do you have to get one now? You might be able to buy a much better one in a fall. I recommend waiting a bit if you can.
    I would also look at ASUS TUF series. You might get better value there.

13. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    High refresh rate? Scrap the two different screens I was talking about, I think there's three different screens in different Y530 models then. All the more important to know which one it is.

I agree though, other factors are more important as long as color reproduction is satisfactory. Factors like brightness and refresh rate.

14. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    bob3002 likes this.
  15. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    @Fluffy Jellyfish This just popped up in my youtube feed, he's one of my favorite Youtube reviewers of laptops so see if it's up your alley. The logo is a tiny bit "GAMER!-y" but it's a special sale.

Edit: @reanox 's posted deal is the one referenced in this video.

reanox likes this.
  16. EnerHighwave

EnerHighwave Holy Daugther of Kyuu 8❤️ Speedy's pet Lovely's ❤️

Reading List:
    Link
    I will recommend to go for a desktop instead. You can later add or change parts for better performance easier and you won't need to buy a new one for a longer time than a laptop

17. sithkazar

sithkazar Professional Screw Up

Reading List:
    Link
    I got this one two years ago and its works great for me (it was in your price range at the time). Obviously its dated now, but I'm sure they have a newer version as well.

I'm more of a causal / puzzle / Rpg gamer, so I can't speak for high-end games, but I've never had problems with overheating.

18. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Laptops in 2k19 are more than good enough at this pricepoint, so if you really want it to be somewhat portable you absolutely can go for a laptop, performance wise they are really good rn. Sure a desktop will prolly be a bit more performant, but not that much. Up to you

19. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    What sizes are you looking for? 15 inch? Other than gaming, what uses will you have? will you carry it a lot? What is important to you other than it being able to game while not looking like a gaming laptop.

I suggest notebookcheck.net , they do the most detailed reviews I've seen:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-GL503VD-DB74-7700HQ-GTX-1050-Laptop-Review.259452.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Legion-Y530-i7-8750H-GTX1060-Laptop-Review.379946.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...8300H-GTX-1050-Ti-Laptop-Review.317420.0.html

(as you can see the screen is only bad on the 1050 ti model, the 1060 screen is fine)

They do recommendation lists too:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Gaming-Laptops.98628.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Budget-Gaming-Laptops.262742.0.html

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  20. LiF3tim3

LiF3tim3 aigoo

Reading List:
    Link
    On a side note I'll mention cloud gaming. If you have good internet speed you can play computer games on "browser, TV, laptop, phone." For some games you have to own them to be able to play. Subscription is $9.99 a month. It's good for when I go on a trip somewhere and take my Surface Pro with me to play games.