Discussion Holding chapters hostage for money...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MoJo, Jul 16, 2019.

1. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I got a bit triggered today because the translation I hadn't read in two months just released a 1/2 chapter with a cliff hanger.. Now I realize A LOT of work goes into translating and people have lives to live so I'm very grateful for any release. What triggered me was this advertisement at the bottom of the chapter, basically saying if you want to read more pay up, the more you pay the more you can read. The translator was sitting on twice the chapters that were released on novel updates and was only updating when the three month limit was about to declare the project up for grabs to a new translator. Holding the project hostage so no one else could take it.
    From what I understand 99% of the translators here are ILLEGALLY translating copyrighted material that no author has authorized and they never see any of the money translators make off these.. I understand translating is work, but so is making knock off Gucci handbags, that doesn't make it less illegal. The translation community has always rationalize their work by saying they are making available what isn't available in their country. And often creating a fan base that the author often profits from later down the line..

Usually translators are aware of all this and don't blatantly ask for pay for chapters like a legitimate, legal, webnovel. They ask for donations, or buy me a cup of coffee, or ask to turn off ad blockers. I don't have any problem with any of that.

What do you all think?

Negiomi and kenar like this.
  2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that, once again, it's a good time to remind everyone that the three-month time limit is just for posting a request thread on the novel pickup request forum. You can snipe a novel before that three month period is up, and just because the translator hasn't posted in three months doesn't mean you have the right to pick up the series without saying a word to the previous translator. I don't even want to say how many time's I've considered translating an actively translated story just to spite the current TL, but I haven't got the time and I'll just save that card for when I can use it well on a worthy opponent.

SinnyVic, saekicchi, SinCity and 4 others like this.
  3. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To add, if you've done (I believe) about 30+ chapters on your own while another is translating, you can get your releases anyways. Summoning @Tony on this since the last time I remember of this was with Release that Witch.

4. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    I strongly agree with the 3-month limits thing and holding the work hostage so no one who actually want to translate for the sake of it could take it. I mean, not letting someone actually want to translate for the sake of others through kindness translate is just---:blobcat_hyper:
    Edit- I was wrong in my facts apologise

Drake98 likes this.
  5. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm aware the three month thingy is just a courtesy from this community, and sniping is a thing that can be done at any time. (if really rude) But don't underestimate this site, thousands use this site exclusively to read translated Asian novels, this community is big and being shunned by it would really cut into this persons money making schemes. As I said, I'm just triggered, my post was mostly me just venting steam. *sigh* I mean I can always read the Google translations, but I'm not feeling like torturing myself at the moment. :ROFLMAO:

6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    The real one up you can do is take some courses on the language, live with some native speakers for a bit, and then just read the raws normally. Hopefully soon...

7. Frostfire10

Frostfire10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually picked up Jap cause I thought it would be faster to read myself rather than wait for Translators. And so far it’s true. It takes me 100x more time to translate than read

UnGrave likes this.
  8. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly that’s really scummy. Like I totally get having a Patreon or kofi or even just straight up ads on the page to get compensation for the time spent translating, but to withhold translations for up to 3 months at a time? :blobangery:

Phillip898 likes this.
  9. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Translating for kindness and hype is the norm before novel updates, so atleast more than 4 years ago.
    Remember baka-tsuki? Everything there is free translations, a way to promote the novel to get an actual english version publisher.
    But now this becomes a business on its own, a cart before the horse...
    What's more, the Author didn't get anything from the cash used for those chaps
    Donations to the translator is fine tho, it's like a cup of coffee after a good job as a thanks

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  10. MoJo

MoJo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @UnGrave
    I agree I really should learn the language, especially since going to China, Korea, and Japan are on my bucket list of places to visit before I die. However I seriously think I have some kind of mental retardation when it comes to learning languages.. I've tried to learn French, Spanish, Gaelic, Japanese, and Italian. 6 years of schooling, 2 years of Rosetta Stone learning software, audio tapes, and FOUR flipping MONTHS living in Italy. I can only speak English. *sobs on floor with giant plushie*
    Sorry it took so long to reply, I was on the floor...:cry:

11. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    There are some that got the Author permission like "Akuyaku Reijou ni Koi o Shite".
    And i dare to say there are Author who translate their own story here.

So make that 90%

12. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Author that translates their own story? @LysUltima?

LysUltima likes this.
  13. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    The translator didn't have to translate. They didn't have to publicize their chapters.

What they're doing is releasing very slowly and having very many advance chapters under a paywall.

If you don't like it, don't pay for it. If you don't like the slow release rate, don't read it. You wouldn't have gotten to read it without the translator even translating it in the first place.

You can always translate it yourself. Nothing's stopping you; anyone can edit google translate.