Discussion Wtf is a priveleged reader?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AndyDarren, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyDarren

AndyDarren Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So after swearing off Qidian for a few months I come back to read I may be a fake cultivator. I decide I'm gonna save up some daily soul stones for when it eventually goes premium and all of a sudden at chapter 100 I'm met with this bs. Am I only able to pay real money to continue reading now? Wth?

KizunaAi likes this.
  2. shadowreader

shadowreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A privileged reader is someone who for a “small” regular donation is given the right to pay for chapters to read

Ghost_Spawn likes this.
  3. thedorkishguy

thedorkishguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically privileged reader is you need to pay spirit stones, to be able to pay to read ahead.

So step 1. you pay say 4000 spirit stones to be able to read 50 chapters ahead

then step 2. you also need to pay the regular spirit stone fee to unlock the chapters

this is per series and not for all of them together - you still get your daily/weekly releases though

4. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    100 spirit stones for 1 chapter in the first setting
    No thanks won't even bother to calculate other options

5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's essentially a Patreon integration - advanced chapters, divided by tier. The chapters are advance, and regular release rate is unaffected by their presence. That means there's essentially nothing to complain about.

Of course, if you absolutely must, then you could complain about pricing, about the split between paying for a tier and still paying for the chapters individually, or even about how evil and twisted it is for them to tempt you in this way. Whatever, y'know? But regardless of your choice, please complain in an informed manner.

6. r00k

r00k Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its for whales. thats all.

Westeller likes this.
  7. HondaFit

HondaFit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's double-dipping is what it is. You're paying twice to read chapters that are already translated but kept unreleased so they can gauge more money out of the small number of people with impulse control problems. The same core group that keeps F2P games going.

I don't mind paying to read. I'm already giving them a decent amount of money. This is just a slap in the face for people who are already paying though.

8. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    You can only wait for the unreleased chapter to get normally released since it is a stockpile of advanced chapters, unless you have money to pay. If you are unlucky though then you will wait a long time. Library of heavens path stopped at chapter 80 in 2017. 1.5k chapters are translated now under a lock.

9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I said, the regular release rate is unaffected. You'll continue to get the same number of chapters as always without being a "privileged reader"; they're not translating any slower or holding out on you. No, what they're doing is putting in more work and expecting you to compensate them for the extra burden if you want to benefit from it. Think of it as overtime pay.

That's the principle, anyway. I won't pretend Patreon-style setups are always that honest.

10. AndyDarren

Reading List:
    Link
    But the chapters are already released and they even have links on NU yet if I try to go to the chapter I just run into the privelege block.

11. AndyDarren

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope still can't read the chapters even though they've been out for 3 days now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.