Otome reincarnation novels aren't really based on Otome Games

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by theilikepie, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoy them and all but seriously. There is not one otome I've played that has a villaness. I don't think most players like being homewreckers. And what's with all of them taking place in medieval Europe? The ones that are available have places like modern day Tokyo or steampunk London in the 18th century.

Most of the tropes that are present in those novels are from soap opera or really old shojos.

2. zajrus

zajrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It isn't just otome games... isekai rpg-s are the same...

3. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Ones you've seen may not have. However, what's seen outside of japan in any way is probably a small percentage of what's produced in japan.

Tropes do need a starter after all.

4. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    No I've seen Japan ones too. Im struggling to rememebr ones that have a vileness. At most you can say the tokimeki series. But the girls there are morel ilke rival- friends and usually can get together with the specific guy. Even the last game ditched that though

Poor_Hero likes this.
  5. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still waiting for a game that is anything at all like anything in either the LitRPG genre or the 'dungeon core' trope.

Capsize, theilikepie and Arkus86 like this.
  6. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    you know what they say. If it doesn't exist try making one. The best games were ideas in someones head once

7. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, not otome game, but I've seen quite a few shoujo manga that are similar

Irie likes this.
  8. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I wonder why authors deiced to use otome games instead. The rich ojou same is a staple of old school shojo

9. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Because if it was a shoujo manga instead they'd have to actually come up with an interesting plot, since with otome games they can use the excuse that the plot was bland because of the player interaction/ multiple routes/gameplay is more important

Fuyuneko, kenar and Irie like this.
  10. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Word. I’ve been thinking the exact same thing.

War of Prayers published by Solmare has a villainess, but she’s more a final boss/evil ghost, than anything resembling the villainesses in these novels. Actually, in some routes there is a rival character, maybe, it’s been a while since I played, but her role is minor and she doesn’t have a bad ending. Oh, wait, Destiny Ninja, also by Solmare, has a rival character, but again, she’s rather sympathetic and gets a good ending.

theilikepie likes this.
  11. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of solmare blood in roses also had a rival character but she also gets a Yuri route later on

12. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, now that I think about it, Solmare has a few different games with “rival” characters who are all fairly sympathetic and get good endings. I know in one game, Niflheim, the fans and I were all begging for a GL Route because we loved the character who is a rival in only one route so much.

theilikepie likes this.
  13. Anra7777

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh! I stopped playing before that happened. Maybe I need to start playing again...

14. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Plus, these novels are mostly copying off of each other rather than actual otome games or manga, right?

Anra7777 likes this.
  15. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol of course not.
    There wont be any concept of netori in actual otome game ever.
    Otome game love to emphasizes on moral rightness and about girl with strong principle that is also independent. At least that was how it is nowaday.

theilikepie likes this.
  16. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    So... you're saying any targets in otome games are always single ?

17. Vemmy

Vemmy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean......mystic messenger’s “villain”.....

18. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't seen an otome game with a attack and stats system where they go attack monsters either
    I haven't played many, correct me if I'm wrong

19. theilikepie

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, at most they'll have a dead girlfriend or lover

illl give you that. To be fair I hadn't completed it cause the mc scares me with her face

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2019
  20. draw2much

draw2much Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To my shame, I've played otome games (ones made in Japan and in the west). There may be otome games out there that have female antagonists but that's not usually how they work. Usually, if there's "a bad guy" it's one of the "targets" you can date. I have a distinct memory of an otome game (made in Japan) where I got killed by this one guy (over and over) in the game, only to find out at the end he was a "hidden character/target"! The guy who stalked and murdered me throughout the entire game was a date-able target!!!! :blobcurse:

Of course I played through his route. :blobwhistle:

A true Otome Reincarnation story would be the psychotic murderous hidden character getting taken over by a nice guy from Japan. Then the reformed hidden character would help the FL get together with whoever she liked instead of creepily stalking her with the intention of killing her and/or the guy(s) she's trying to woo. That would be "in genre"!

But instead you've got this weird Villianesse thing going instead. I mean, I happen to love the Otome Villianesse Redemption genre, but it makes no sense at all as far as Otome elements go. It's more like a weird mix of Rose of Versailles and modern shoujo where the FL gets bullied by girls who are jealous of the attention she's getting from the ML. The otome element is only there in the sense that there's multiple male leads... even though you don't need otome backdrop for that. Any shoujo with a reverse-harem will work.

Someone above me said they don't use shoujo as the backdrop because it's requires a plot. I say, not at all! There's some really awful shoujo out there that still somehow has a reader base. It's just filled with misunderstandings and bullying and lots of hot boys and nothing else. That's exactly the backdrop of most Otome Reincarnation stories.

Does anyone know who the first person was to write a really popular Otome Reincarnation story? Because if you can find the source, you can get an idea how/why this weird genre came to be... for me, I just assumed the writer had read shoujo but never played otome games. As is the tradition with many Japanese authors, they did no research at all and just assumed otome games were playable shoujo stories. :blobjoy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.