Discussion Books, physical copies and ebooks must be perfect??? Wth???!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Claire Lilly, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Claire Lilly

Claire Lilly ~Fairy of the Moon Blossom~

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently I have a huge problem with my best friend. For quite some time, it begun around the last year, she got the crazy idea, that all her books, especially her light novel and manga raws should be perfect in each aspect... The printing quality must be perfect, the coloration, the covers etc.... It got really terrible with her japanese manga ebooks, because the quality of them is of course not as great as physical copies. Some of her friends suggested to just buy the physical copies to solve this problem and made the problem even bigger than it was. I mean, my friend can‘t read a damn of japanese and bought all her books (wether they were physical copies or ebooks) only for collecting purpose and as a hobby. For physical copies it were only series which were completed and didn‘t have more than ten volumes or more, seldomly more. And they were all bought on the japanese amazon, where the shipping isn‘t that expensive. Unfortunately you can‘t buy used books, if you live outside of Japan. So she bought these quite old series as ebooks, but then there is the quality issue, that these ones are not as 'perfect' as the physical copies. Now she is crying, how she can live normally again and be satisfied with just the ebooks, even though they aren‘t in such hd quality as the physical copies. Buying them is out of the question, since there are more than 70 volumes and the series is still ongoing. Buying them new, if avaible is so incredible expensive your eyes will pop out and used is even more expensive (when I saw the price for the SAL shipping (only SAL shipping, seriously), I didn‘t trust my eyes...
    Anyway, how can I calm her down? Isn‘t it already nice to own these books, even if they are not perfect?
    Anyway, I‘m asking in this forum, because I want to know, if there is anyone who can help... Ebooks doesn‘t need to be perfect, they are much more affordable than normal books and you don‘t need storeroom for them. Isn‘t it great just to own them already?! The books aren‘t inferior just because the picture quality isn‘t that awesome. Some years ago, when my friend bought these books, she was so happy about them and satisfied to finally own them, I want this back...
    Can anyone tell me something to calm her down and be satisfied with what she has again?
    I‘m sorry for this stupid discussion, but I‘m really desperate.

2. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like an addiction. I am not sure how you would battle that, but she should be willing to get help herself first. Maybe show her how much she spent overall on this stuff? I mean, does she work? Is she independent? Is her life suffering because of it? If she just buys stuff and it doesn't affect her life in any major way, it's probably fine.
    I find that just printing the bills out then summarizing and showing totals is quite effective for people to realize just how much money they wasted away. It would be a different story if they are already conscious of it and just don't care tho.
    And well, try asking why she wants them in Japanese and why she cares? Don't be confrontational just yet, just ask deeper questions

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    So, your friend is one of those so called collectors? I al not sure of what to tell you actually :blobsweat_2:
    Since it is her hobby to own them, it is a bit problematic
    Nevertheless, I believe collectors like to trade so try to find another collector and trade copies with them I guess :hmm:

4. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    It costs to be picky. Lmao

5. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    she is already lucky enough to be able to buy those books.....most people here can't afford to waste even 5$ for a vol, let alone a completed serie. If she isn't able to deal whit the fact a book isn't perfect then she shouldn't buy them at all.....
    Dream are most of times more beautyfull than reality...:blob_coffee:

Igneus likes this.
  6. JadeWhiteSkin

JadeWhiteSkin please rescue~

Reading List:
    Link
    pfft what a joke, unhealthy buying habbits cant lowers someones quality of life *profusesly sweats as I look at the 750€ jellyfish to my right that arrived last week*

kenar and Flyingfrogslash like this.
  7. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Try some fanmade ebook of the series, some fans are meticulous about the quality of those

8. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    what a greedy bastard set a volume to be 5$...
    is he insane?

9. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

10. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Formatting is often a ebook reader issue. She can try different readers, and if she is completely @n@l, use calibre to reformat. Then, slap her on the side of her head.:ROFLMAO:

11. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Does sound like some sort of addiction/ substitution disorder... may be she should start buying self help books instead. Or hoarding ones...

12. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link

Honestly, it seems there is something more going on with her and that she has fixated on controlling the quality of her books as a way to deal with it. We don't know her, her story or her situation so any advice that is given must be taken with a grain of salt--that is you need to be wary of it.

That said, the best thing you can do is to sit down and talk with her. Ask her why it matters so much, let her know you are there to listen to her if she needs it and that you won't be judgemental. Important tidbit here: DON'T BE JUDGEMENTAL. Also, try to gradually show her the value of what she already has. If her print books are first prints then tell her she was lucky.

In regards to ebooks, I'm not clear on how it works, but if you can make a backup of them and then do that and delete them off the device she is using. That way they aren't lost, but they aren't there upsetting her either.

Also, depending on how "into" Japanese culture she is, remind her of Wabi-sabi. The aesthetic where imperfections are valued.

13. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    .....sounds like a OCD disorder you shouldnt be feeding. If this continues on it would only infect other aspects of her life. Sit her down and make her watch "Rain Man" and explain if she keeps going like she is, it could develop into "this" life isnt perfect, nor is it black and white. That doesn't mean you have to suffer broken goods, and shitty materials, but by no means will it be perfect either.

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    improve it yourself.....
    I mean seriously for collecting book I feel lucky enuf find some really old books which not printed again on random place despite it on quite bad condition so I need carefully clean it, pach it here and there then hmm protect it with plastic or something like that

sorry to say but your friend behavior really offend me and your friend not read it.... WTF!

so ebook quality not good enuf and she feel bad? interrogate her I mean ask why she make such thing carefully rea..ly.. carefully

15. JadeWhiteSkin

Reading List:
    Link
    ok now youve got my attention! where can i buy that cutie?!

16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    As others pointed out, your friend needs a therapist

17. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think since he was filmed he grew up a little. I think ocean pollution might had an impact...
    [​IMG]

18. JadeWhiteSkin

Reading List:
    Link
    Just need to make a pact and become a warlock then, no probs

19. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    id smash

20. Yamcha

Yamcha Friendnemy

Reading List:
    Link
    If that friend of yours have the means to acquire said books then she should be free to do so, not sure why you would be so troubled about it and even post here. If you are true friends you could have solve the impasse discussing about it just the two of you. Ever thought that friend could see this thread?