Recommendations Stories with good female MC?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by KKristen, May 9, 2017.

?

What should I try next?

Poll closed Jun 27, 2018.
  1. A Mistaken Marriage Match: Record of Washed Grievances

8.0%
  2. Gu Fang Bu Zi Shang

21.8%
  3. The Rebirth of the Malicious Empress of Military Lineage

57.5%
  4. Other (please recommend in the comments)

23.0%
  5. The Princess Wei Yang

13.8%
  6. Honey Stewed Squid

5.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. KKristen

KKristen Crazy Cat Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that's why I always go back and update my review once I finish reading. Weak endings, unfortunately, are very common...

2. oikawamegumi

oikawamegumi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about:

Lucia
    If The Deep Sea Forgets You
    The Beautiful Time With You
    When He Comes, Close Your Eyes
    Memory Lost
    Hear My Heart: My World Falls into the...
    Hey Don't Act Unruly
    My Youth Begins With Loving You
    Rebirth of an Abandoned Woman
    The Heartbeat at the Tip of the Tongue
    Sinister Ex-Girlfriend
    The Rice Pot Next Door
    Zombie Sister Strategy
    Just Blame Me For Being Blind in the Beginning
    Marriage Concerto (Small Thing Called Love)

+1 Return of the Swallow
    +1 Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
    +1 The Beloved Imperial Consort
    +1 The Dreamer in the Spring Boudoir

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    KKristen likes this.
  3. Haruhal

Haruhal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oikawamegumi and KKristen like this.
  4. Mariona

Mariona Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you seen/read Princess Agents?

5. Haruhal

Haruhal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not yet..is it good?
    NU said it is completely translated(status in COO completed in 292 chapters) but chapters shown only till 80(?)

6. Mariona

Mariona Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to unlock it on webnovel but you can google around to find it on other sites as well *cough*
    I really liked it (i binged it in like 2 or 3 days) and I think it's worth trying out some chapters to see if it's your style, although fair warning the story can be a bit dark. But definitely worth the emotional rollercoaster that it is imo

7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought that the book started off great and that it was decent to good up through the first three parts. However, the fourth part was terrible and it served as one of the worst endings I've ever come across. Despite how strongly it started, I would have to recommend against reading it; especially given what this thread is about.

8. Sekai_Saesang

Sekai_Saesang Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi,

I've read those novels you mentioned and enjoy the same genre and so am writing my own novel "Circumventing Fate" on Wattpad, Please do check it out, you will be pleasantly surprised. Please read, comment and vote!! Thank you

Synopsis: Lei Xing never expected anything from anyone and only believed and relied on herself to live well and succeed and aimed to enjoy life freely and untethered to anyone...She finally graduated law school and was on her way to truly accomplish her life of success and freedom...to commemorate this milestone, she decided to take a vacation...

"If I'm going to do it, I have to do in style!"

...and so she decided on a cruise and splurged her hard earned money on a luxury line...and then...Where the hell am I?!

No way! No way! This has to be a dream...I transmigrated?!!

Okay, at least I'm rich...I can still live happily and freely, it's a golden second opportunity at life and I will live it well!...maybe go traveling, start a business or something...but I am definitely not interested in any royal BS or fights, please keep your scheming lives to yourselves and leave me the hell out of it, NOT INTERESTED!!!

"Little chicken, as long as I'm alive you won't die."

"Nonsense, if anyone is going to cause my death, it would be you!!"

"Do you really feel nothing after all this time?" He asked as he looked at her with searching eyes, trying to see into her soul...

"...Who...would..." she mumbled under her breath...
    "That stupid old man, I'm going to end him when I find him...You better hide well!!"

9. Chowderrr

Chowderrr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ghostly Masked Prince Xiao: Pampering and Spoiling the Little Adorable Consort - very slow romance considering that the MC is 10 and the ML is 20. Lots of character development I think

Bewitching Prince Spoils his Wife: Genius Doctor Unscrupulous Consort - I read like 400 chapters in one day (then never found the motivation to read it again but I liked the chapters that I read). MC is mature

Unprecedented Pill Refiner: Entitled Ninth Young Lady - MC is very very OP and the romance is so sweet uwu

The Rebirth Waste Strikes Back - MC is very shameless and has a big ego with all the power and ability to back it up

Remarried Empress - This one hurt my heart a lot and there are about 20 translated chapters out so you might want to wait a bit if you don't wanna suffer as much :')) the MC in this one is very mature and very realistic; she knows what she should, can, and cannot do as an empress of a country

Hope that these fit your criteria :)

10. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    I just finished this book, and it really is pretty good. The characters are fairly interesting, and the author makes an attempt to put in some real history. Romances tend to spoil the endings of these kinds of books, but even it is pretty good in this story. The one missed opportunity I spotted is that people in this book act more like people from later dynasties. Tang society is a lot more open than the later Chinese periods and song and dance were common activities; even among the royalty. Also, women were a lot more active during this period; doing things up to and including playing soccer and polo.

KKristen likes this.
  11. KKristen

KKristen Crazy Cat Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi everyone! I haven't had much time to read lately, but I just found another fun novel to add to the list: Slow Prison Life.

This one is more of a comedy -- where the prince falls for the heroine, falsely accuses his fiance and breaks their engagement, and imprisons her in the dungeon... but the lady is actually a psychopath who has been planning everything necessary to live a luxurious life down there the whole time.

12. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    狐狸的本命年法则 by Yue Guan

On face value, this book has a lot of strikes against it. Let's list them:

1. It's a Romance novel...
    2. ... with a CEO male love interest...
    3. and a Magical Girlfriend protagonist.
    4. And it's written by a man who doesn't write female protagonists

I don't think I've ever seen this combination ever work before and the characters tend to be terrible. But this book is really good; thereby disproving the idea that there are any inherently bad story concepts. It's amazing how it's not all that hard to have good CEO characters - all you have to do is to give them properly human qualities (and not make them into obsessive stalker bullies). So anyways, both the lead characters are fun, and more importantly, being together in the same scene makes that scene more entertaining. It's like the writer had some certain ideas about how this kind of story worked and decided to replace all the bad bits with good bits.

The protagonist may be a ditzy foxgirl with an overinflated impression of her own intelligence, but she has a lot of good qualities as well (including being a lot more intelligent than she appears). Better yet, her being a foxgirl isn't played up for fetishism but instead lends itself to being an important part of her personality. The rest of the cast is also pretty good; with a lot of interesting interactions and just a lot of fun in general.

There's an added bonus where a large chunk of the story is about making a film wherein the writer used his experience in show business to make everything more believable. Yue Guan is a great writer, and this is his most accessible work so it's a good place to start. None of his books are really translated, but this is probably the most likely candidate. Apparently there's also a manhua version of this story, but I don't know how good it is. It does seem to constantly portray the protagonist in her foxgirl form even though she always looks completely human in the book.

colk and KKristen like this.
  13. KKristen

KKristen Crazy Cat Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    Update: I dropped Assassin Farmer from the list. Basically, the FL gets so super spoiled by the ML, to the point that she loses all independence, motivation, or thought. She never makes another semi-tough decision ever again.

Also, eventually, I will work on making this list into one of Novelupdates' new fancy lists... eventually...

14. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the male love interest terrible as well?

15. KKristen

KKristen Crazy Cat Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    He's not bad, just boring. He's 100% devoted, loyal, hardworking, handsome, etc all the time. He's supposed to be a former assassin beginning a new life as a farmer, and everything goes extremely easy for the both of them. No struggle. Instant success in everything they do. Loved by everyone they ever meet.

Even when his past catches up to them and he's supposed to fight the big bad guy and the ML falls off a cliff (presumably to his death), the whole event only lasts around 1 chapter and there are no descriptions or explanations for anything. Just that he says he's gonna go, disappears, and reappears totally unharmed in the next chapter. The FL worries for about a paragraph. Then the author moves on.

ToastedRossi likes this.
  16. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Ick. I had this book on my Future list but off it goes. There are too many good books out there to waste time on characters I'm not going to like.

KKristen likes this.
  17. KKristen

KKristen Crazy Cat Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad I could save you some time. Sigh. I hate dropping novels and I stuck with Assassin Farmer for over a hundred chapters... but it just got worse.

What are some of your favorite novels recently? I've got a bunch on my reading list but am waiting for more chapters to build up. (They're the type that only add a new chapter once every few months. Don't want to have to try and go back to remember the story each time.)

18. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately I mostly read books that aren't translated and lately the ones I've been tackling don't even have female protagonists. However, Heroic Wife Reborn has just started getting translated and it's pretty good. It's written by the same writer who wrote Unruly Phoenix Xiaoyao and there are a fair number of similarities to it (including the dumbass protagonist). The male love interest is a bit of a bust, but his role isn't that big and there's still a lot of action and comedy outside of it.

I'd also always recommend For a Prosperous World. I really like this book and I really like the writer. He manages to put a lot of meaning and strong characterization into relatively few words and this particular book is a fascinating study on immortality.

KKristen likes this.
  19. nevelvir

nevelvir Master Sleepers

Reading List:
    Link
    Have a go for Heroic Wife Reborn it's pwetty good :blobmelt:

Ruyi likes this.
  20. adorkablehiko

adorkablehiko Ryuunosuke Tsunashi’s Hoe

Reading List:
    Link
    I only recently started reading Chinese novels, but sadly, I don't have the time for a lot of them but here are some with some nice MCs that, from what I've seen, haven't been recommended (could be wrong tho lmao):
    Rebirth on the Doors to the Civil Affairs Bureau - Haven't read but I've heard people singing praises about this.
    Tyrannical Wang’s Beloved Wife - MC is pretty level-headed, and chill. Very mature though that changes later on in the novel (somewhat? Like she lets out her emotions more, and is more selfish).
    The CEO’s Villainess Childhood Friend - Not exactly the best seeing as the ML goes from cold to doting immediately, and sometimes forceful (not in a bad way though), but MC is reasonable imo. She prioritizes what she should, and knows when to give up on being stubborn.

I mostly read JP novels (also cause I'm a JP translator) but here's some good ones.
    Hokuou Kizoku to Moukinzuma no Yukiguni Karigurashi - This doesn't really have a main narrator from what I remember, more omniscient so it jumps back and forth between the ML and FL but it's pretty good. Very realistic lmao.
    Hakushaku to Yousei - One of the OG of shoujo/josei LNs. Idk if all is posted on NU. The link is a list of TLs and their links on Wordpress because it's been translated by so many people on and off. It's basically about a woman who can see fairies and getting caught up with this guy (the ML) who sought her out on supernatural problems. Goes from there.
    Saiunkoku Monogatari - Another OG of shoujo/josei LNs. You might like this one seeing as the MC/FL is a very capable woman struggling to get into politics in a time when women weren't allowed. Same as above, it's a link to list of TL links.

Shameless plugs lol:
    I Am Troubled That My Fiance Is a Villain - MC is relatable, and it takes its own spin on Japanese otome game novel cliches. Plot twists come out of nowhere, and they're really good.
    The Civil Officer Can Have Sweet Dreams - MC is reasonable, level-headed, and thinks before she acts/says something. It has some steamy scenes later on though.

Also, this isn't told from the female's POV but it's another side to one of the stories you've read, A Game To Make Him Fall: The Probability I Can Kill My Wife Without Being Found Out

nevelvir and KKristen like this.