Discussion I wanna make a mobile strategy game, how do I start?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HighlyRounded, Jul 17, 2019.

1. HighlyRounded

HighlyRounded Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always wanted to make games, and strategy games is something I'm really passionate about. Also I'ma a NEET with too much time on my hands.

So I want my strategy game to have a map that's more "Game of War"or "Clash of Kings" like, and not "Age of Civilizations" like. I also want to craft an intricate war system.

Problem is I literally don't know jack shit about making games. Like I've been reading around that Android Development uses Java. But apparently, it's better to make android games using game engines? So like if we take into account the map thing I brought up earlier, would it be wise to use the Unity engine?

Also, I've heard that unity doesn't need a programming language, but then some say that it needs c#?

Also, should I just learn Java regardless of whether or not I make the game with unity?

Idk, do you guys have any advice?

Oh and of course I plan on starting my making experimental smaller games to get a grip of game development 1st.

Ps: If I actually manage to make a game, I'd prefer not to add any microtransactions. Do you guys know of other ways to make money as a game developer?

2. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Look up the free unreal engine. It has preset code for amateur use.

HighlyRounded likes this.
  3. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure how u should start.
    Try putting this on reddit as well. Not sure if this suggestion is permitted here(*_*').

But that money part, you could start with ads. For players, earn digital coins or gems in game via watching ad vid.

4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    After you succeed contact me and I will pay you to build for me.
    I will need visual novels too.
    Peace!

5. udonsage

udonsage [Underpaid Software Developer] [Lazy Novelist]

Reading List:
    Link
    You are not wrong about Java being the language that drives android. Though there is also Kotlin as well.

Anyway, it really depends on your level of competency when it comes to using logic and programming. If you have both, you could pick up unreal engine and looked at a few guides on youtube to get your feet wet.

If you don't have any knowledge of programming you might want to try the https://www.udemy.com/unrealcourse/ udemy course. And also look through https://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/ after you have a grasp of how programming works. Ideally your goal should be to have a firm grasp of:
    • Variables
    • Input/Output
    • Conditional statements
    • Functions
    • Classes
    • OOP(Object Oriented Programming)
    • Algorithms
    • Data Structures
    • Programming design patterns
    Finally, a great resource for game development would be https://www.gamasutra.com/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/wiki/faq

HighlyRounded and Naruin like this.
  6. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Two words: Game Salad. You can make good games without needing to know how to code. It's a game engine designed from the ground up to make games for android and iphone.

Yes, you need to use game engines. Even for a programming guru, programming a game from scratch takes a very long time. For a game like Angry Birds, you can finish programming the base game and like 10 levels within a week using engines such as Game Salad, Construct 3 or Stencyl. If you write it from scratch, it can take you a whole year. There was this guy who said he would write a game in assembly, which in theory would've been extremely responsive and uses very low system requirements, but we have not heard from him for 12 years now.

Unity doesn't need you to know programming language, if you're planning on making a game that runs like a grandma on arthritis or stutters like a grandpa having a heart attack or a very simple game that kindergarteners can make using play sand. This is Ai-chan's advice: stay away from Unity if you're a programming noob.

Unity is not for non-programmers, that's a trap. Can you make a game using Unity even without programming knowledge? Yes. Will it be a good game? Definitely not. Will people want to play your game? Maybe, but they will drop it quickly after leaving scathing comment after scathing comment about how your game crashes regularly, uses too much system resources, overheats the phone so much that it it feels like holding a burning coal, and how they want to sue you for bricking their phones. Yes, a lot of common mobile games are made in Unity now, but they have a programmer team that debugs the game, you don't.

If you do not know programming, just stay away from Unity unless you have the money to hire actual programmers to debug your game made from a mismatch of bought assets and plugins. Unity itself has very high base system requirements, which is why programmers who really care about their players will not use unity for mobile games. High base system requirements of Unity, plus the system requirements for the actual games, often make the games unplayable for the majority of mobile systems. Ever played a game and your phone feels hot even when you've only just played it for a few minutes? That's on Unity, and usually is not the programmer's fault. Unity by default overheats your CPU and GPU for no reason, and they have never fixed this problem. They probably don't even know where the problem is.

As for what game engines you can use, Ai-chan suggests the following:
    1) Construct 2
    - It doesn't program natively in Java, it uses HTML5. HTML5 is the current standard for browser and mobile game development. HTML5 is not native to Android or iPhone apps so it will still need to be converted to their standard, a tool which Construct 2 does have. There is a Construct 3, but it's still too new that there aren't many tutorials for it yet. Construct 2 is well-known and well-used by many people. Very easy to use, though it can get messy for very large projects.
    - If you do not know programming, this may be the engine for you as everything is pretty much drag and drop.
    - Games made on Construct 2 include The Next Penelope, Airscape: The Fall of Gravity and Cosmochoria.

2) Game Salad
    - It designed completely for mobile game development from the ground up. If you have the money, take this engine. It does mobile game development very well because that was what it was designed for.
    - Unfortunately, it's pretty dated, with development of the engine somewhat stopped after 2012. It's still being sold and still being used, but there aren't any noteworthy games made on game salad. Ai-chan has used the demo before and it was very easy to use. Unfortunately, it was pretty pricy for Ai-chan's budget at the time.
    - This is a game engine that truly does not require you to know any programming language. It's also being used in schools to teach computer science.

3) Buildbox
    - Never tried this, but it's a game engine that doesn't require any knowledge in game programming.

4) Gamemaker Studio 2
    - Ever heard of RPG Maker? Yeah, it's something like that, except it is more general. Ai-chan used the first one and found it pretty easy to use.
    - This is an engine that doesn't require you to have programming knowledge, though if you do know C++ and Javascript, it helps you customize your games further.
    - Games made using this engine include: Hyper Light Drifter, Undertale and Desert Child.

5) Cocos JS
    - It's not a non-programming engine, but it does come with extensive documentation.
    - One of the games you mentioned in the OP, Clash of Kings, was made using this engine.

p/s: Unreal Engine 4 is great if you want to make an HD 3D game. If you want to make games like Clash of Clans, you don't need real 3D. You can simulate 3D on a 2D game easily. But if you want to make games like Diablo Immortal, Heart at Attack, and Lineage II: Revolution, then definitely go Unreal Engine 4. Skip Unity completely.

p/s2: If you manage to put your game in appstore, you can monetize by showing ads. There's a software for it, which Ai-chan forgot the name of since Ai-chan doesn't make games for mobile. Basically you need to register for it and get their SDK.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    HighlyRounded and udonsage like this.