Spoiler I Swear I Won’t Bother You Again!

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Shizun, Oct 24, 2018.

1. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    We don't know if Vio is really starting to be kind to Maryjun. I think she is just being kind because it's her dad wanted and if she wants to get along with her father (she needs his permission to be a nun), she has to be nice to Maryjun. I think she doesn't really hate Maryjun but she still doesn't feel like she's her sister. (like Maryjun was introduced abruptly when Vio's mom died) Also, she needs Maryjun to be a noble's daughter to take her place when she goes away, so it's better to get along with her and ease the transition.

2. Psytoxin

Psytoxin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought there were 11 pages of spoilers, only to find out that more than 2/3 was a discussion...

Is there no discussion thread for this series?

3. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel isn't finished and so is the manga so the discussion is mixed in with the thread.

arlovebird likes this.
  4. The1Rin

The1Rin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a lot of spoilers but because it's not complete so most people are guessing what's going to happen and about the characters.

Especially who Vio will end up with (I'm rooting for Marin and a little bit for Yulan)

Zyrenalexia, Ang3Blue and Twiggysan like this.
  5. so-chintzy

so-chintzy One of the editors for Yukkuri Translation Service

Reading List:
    Link
    Hard same on the authors trying to whitewash their "villainess" protags and demonize their "pure" heroines. It's one thing if the author is expanding on the blank holes in the heroine's personality/backstory from the original game/manga/anime plot, but it's another if (considering that the canon would have been from the heroine's POV & thus the viewers would be able to see her thoughts) they outright contradict their own canon by making her a scheming backstabbing hoe, the male leads complete idiots who hold contempt for everyone around them & the villainess a pitiful moeblob pawn who did nothing wrong.

Although it would be funny if the protag was a fan of an otome where the heroine is always thinking stuff like "oh X is looking at me...better bat my eyes & stick out my chest more, that'll get him to react!". Kinda like how Nozaki from "Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun" thinks of his own naive tsundere heroine as a manipulative plotter who's all like "ahhh I'm getting bullied by Suzuki-kun's fangirls.....how should I act pitiful this time?".

They could also get around it by having the heroine have a mental illness so everything in canon was just her delusions, but they usually play it straight with "well my protag is better, smarter & more skilled than the heroine so of course the heroine went dark mode final boss crazy", which is exceptionally dumb when you consider that most heroine charas tend to be ex-commoners & most villain charas are nobility. Literally every other character in the canon would be "better" than the heroine.

6. Shimozuki Yue

Shimozuki Yue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think Vio is trying to be nice to maryjun. She's just not antagonising her while she ships her with the prince.

For me, everyone have a flaw. Vio is wrong to vent her anger to her sister when it's her father's fault to begin with. Maryjun is wrong for acting ignorant/oblivious. There is no way she wouldn't know that her mother is a homewrecker after getting back to the duke's home. Regardless of the problem the duke have with his wife, it's not a good reason to be a thirdwheel.

Anyway, the one who I wanted to fall down to the trash is the parents! Damn die fvker!

7. LockedPuppet

LockedPuppet From the void, the circus horns~

Reading List:
    Link
    I've recently started following the manga after someone recommended it to me, and I have to wonder; how different is the manga from the web novel so far? I've only skimmed the translations for the web novel (mainly because the manga is apparently ahead).

But from what I can tell the characters feel really human in the manga. I think the best example for me is the Prince. A typical pitfall of the "villainess noble girl" type genre is that they do everything to paint the original heroine and prince as in the wrong, to varying degrees of success. I like that this story doesn't do that, with Violette outright saying she was wrong for how she acted and that her downfall was her own doing.

It's because of this that makes the Prince an interesting character as a result. The first time around he rejects her and then jails her with the intent of executing her if it were not for the intervention of her sister, but you can't exactly blame his harsh attitude considering she not only became an annoyance to him early on but bullied and nearly murdered her sister who was also his fiance. His first appearance post time-reversal also leaves a sour impression, with him accusing Violette of bullying Maryjun, however well-intentioned he was in defending her. You can get the feeling that he's not a bad person per se, just rather bullheaded with a strong sense of justice. As a result, seeing him hopelessly pursue Violette (who understood her crush on him was shallow and moved on) makes me feel sorry for him and yet I also find it strangely cathartic.

I also like Maryjun who on paper should really be a Purity Sue given her traits, yet the consequences of her actions ground her. She's an absolute sweetheart who genuinely loves her sister, but her being loved by those around her all her life makes her too overtly blunt for high society and committing faux pas after faux pas in her genuine attempts to be nice and helpful. She doesn't know the full consequences of certain actions and how they affect people in the long run (like the stagehands being fired for a tear on the Prince's cape), but wants nothing but the best for people. She also seems incredibly sheltered with her having no idea of her sister's situation, I can't wait to see her grow out of it and call out her Father.

I also like how both Marin and Yuran hate her by proxy of being related to the woman Violette's father favors and indirectly causing her suffering. Yuran outright states in his inner monologue (Note: some of this is based on the translation by Lazynoodles and google translate so take it with a grain of salt) that he absolutely can't stand Maryjun and considers her to be an enemy to be destroyed. I wonder if he has anything planned for them in the future? He's certainly in a position to do so although in this case I'm not sure if Violette would be okay with that since she's starting to patch things up (or to the very least keep her distance).

nielyti, gucchi, Furiae19 and 7 others like this.
  8. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Be careful, there are those people who aren't interested in ML's character development. I included the Prince in that since he is pictured with Vio and Yulan.

Again, I don't mind her with the Prince if I see that he develops his own character and if Vio recognize that. I think his sense of justice was already taken up with the novel when Claudia wants to speak to Yulan privately. Yulan drops hints, Prince is still oblivious. I know he's more of a black and white justice guy but we'll see.

Anyway, newest release confirms that Yulan is from a branch family so probably cousins. Thank God, I can't stand guys who are brothers fighting for the same girl. I think we have enough fill of unstable family dynamics in Vio's case.

Furiae19, cupboardbee and haqpiness like this.
  9. LockedPuppet

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, saying that the Prince is competing with Yulan is generous. She actively avoids being in his presence for one. I'd say he's so far behind in winning her affections that the only thing stopping Yulan and Violette from becoming a thing is a long conversation and a confession. Heck, even Maryjun is a bigger threat to Yulan since she takes up Violette's time and keeps him away.
    But I don't necessarily disagree that it'd be possible for him to win. In fact, I actually want him to start threatening the Yulan x Violette boat. I feel like there's a severe disconnect between him and Violette and that clearing it up could lead to some interesting interactions, like him wanting to know her better, or trying to sympathize with her family situation in a healthier way than Yulan (I'd argue that at least some of his animosity towards Maryjun is unfounded; even Violette agrees she was innocent of wrongdoing looking back to her previous life). And to be fair Yulan's devotion to Violette comes across as a little unhealthy imo and having someone with a cooler head around her actually be a possible romance would be interesting.

I also do agree with you that a lot of the reactions prior in this thread felt really reactionary. I know we're following Violette here so we're more sympathetic to her, but keep in mind that she did do a lot of terrible things the first time around, and the Prince wasn't exactly wrong in telling her off the first loop. TBH I think the reactions could also be attributed to the fact that this type of story is REALLY popular in JP novel circles and most "ex-crush" archetypes are done with considerable less grace in this genre.

10. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing I dont like is how the characters seems to put the blame on the wrong people in this novel. I think everyone should get it stuffed into there large head to not punish the child for the sin of the parent. A kid isnt a clone of there parent and they dont inherit there sins so stop acting like they do.

The parents in this novel suck. We have homewrekers, deadbeats and child molesters. I'm just wondering which category the king falls in

11. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I know that she actively avoids him but I am hoping to see that at least they could have a friendship. I mean, Vio and Yulan are close and if things settled down between them, it might be the thing that fixes Yulan and Claudia's relationship. If Vio went full romance again with the Prince, I can be on board with it as long as Yulan accepts it. So, yeah, basically, trying to fix a former love triangle. Also, I think that Claudia might be the cooler head that Yulan needs. I know their relationship is on the rocks right now but he's the only character I see that can check Yulan's feelings towards Vio. The foreign prince sounds to me as more of a sidekick for Yulan rather than a foil.

Re:Yulan and Maryjun. For now, yes, Maryjun is a pain in Yulan's neck. However, if Vio's plan pushes through or something distracts Maryjun, we can now focus on the triangle (Yulan, Claudia, Vio).

I treat this story the same way I did with the Abandoned Empress' ML - let the story play out, let the character sort the kinks out and let the plot flow. For me, the redemption arc is the point of reincarnation/second chance stories. Yes, the MC is evil but the point of the plot is that journey and the lesson that comes with it.

LockedPuppet and cupboardbee like this.
  12. ardills

ardills Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello ppl.. It's a bit out of topic..

Mtl: Maryjun is in the move to get closer to yuran, Yuran is getting bored and seems to think of her as idiot.. Lol and what's more surprising is, he seems ready to destroy the idiot for Violette or already did the planning to destroy the idiot..?

I might be wrong since this is just mtl, but Yuran seems a bit yandere? This is strange, if he is indeed a yandere, he wouldn't let vio Struggle in prison in the first timeline.. Btw I skip few chapters that's too hard to read though, *teehee..

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  13. Bella94

Bella94 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it’s 0 chance then I will continue reading it and I fall in love with Yuan and rooting for him for our MC ❤️

Avery Very and arlovebird like this.
  14. Clars

Clars Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Heck no!!!!!!! why ???? i mean seriousy...is she really a white lotus ??? why is she sticking to vio's yuran and sabotaging the ship??? Why not choose the prince???? Didn't she fell in love with the prince before????

15. LockedPuppet

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep in mind they only got close because he protected her each time the MC bullied her. Since the MC isn't doing that they're indifferent to each other atm. In all fairness it's pretty reasonable for her to be curious about him at least curious since she sees him around the MC but hasn't interacted with him. If her manga characterization is accyrate she's actually more of a threat to Yuran, ironically, because she loves her sister so much she won't leave her alone.

Also, to add on to this, remember that in the last life, despite the MC mercilessly bullying and trying to kill her, Maryjun was the ONLY person in her family that tried to overturn her death sentence.

nielyti and haqpiness like this.
  16. kiara8

kiara8 Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    So you have confirmed that Maryjun is genuinely oblivious to what she herself is doing?

arlovebird and lazynoodles like this.
  17. LockedPuppet

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like it. A major arc for her it seems is that she's very oblivious to her surroundings and doesn't understand the subtleties of noble society. She can't understand social cues unless it's spelled out for her, though she's still genuinely well-meaning. It actually kind of looks like she loves her sister more than her parents actually: A major reason why Violette tries to push her with the Prince is because even if she gets to the monastary, it's almost guaranteed her sister will follow her.

bochucha, Furiae19, emersy and 3 others like this.
  18. LockedPuppet

Reading List:
    Link
    The Prince is also in a similar boat. He might seem rude at first but him accusing Violette was a genuine mistake mostly made out of his rashness. Even in the previous life he was well within his bounds to tell her off for bullying Maryjun, and trying to have her executed for nearly murdering his fiance (which would be a capital punishment regardless).

After the incident though he warms up considerably. It's implied Violette might still have some sort of feelings for him at first, but at this point she's mainly focused in becoming a nun so she kind of associates spending time with him to reverting to her old ways. I actually kind of find it tragic that the scene where he realizes his affections for her is the same scene where she realizes her crush on him was out of a shallow desire to be loved by people through using him as a beacon. I like the dude and hope he becomes a more serious rival to Yuran.

Keep in mind btw I'm using a combo of Machine translations and the Manga to build up my perception so take it with a little salt, though I'm fairly confident.

bochucha, beazacha, Furiae19 and 8 others like this.
  19. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow that unironically sounds like autism

20. Mariyah

Mariyah Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i like that song and also that beauty and the beast redition

lazynoodles likes this.