Discussion Translators, reader pressure?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kiskaiya, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    This is something that only occurred to me recently, as most novels that I start are pretty close to a complete translation. It's only been in the past week or so that I've started checking out my waiting list to see if there are any that tickle my fancy enough to want to start and continue a long journey with a translator as they do their work. Because of that, I'm starting to notice more and more the comments for a lot of translators that don't do daily updates.

I've seen comments ranging from the benign "waiting patiently for updates" to what I consider might be a hard blow for some TL-ers, "is this dropped?". I admit to sometimes wanting a more regular update schedule from some of the translators I read, but I also acknowledge that this is something most are doing for free and life takes priority.

So I was wondering if comments like these put you under unnecessary pressure and if so, what can we the readers do/say to make things easier in that aspect? This is something I'm truly interested in knowing as I see a ton of comments thanking translators for their hard work, only to be followed by ones that I wouldn't really say are negative, per se, but possibly discouraging.

Side note: I wasn't sure if this should go in the translator's forum or not since it isn't for a specific translation

2. jawbrie

jawbrie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a translator, seeing any enthusiasm or passion to read more is a good thing. Just don't be rude.

3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I would say aside from appreciating their work, I think that you shouldn't threaten them or/and attack them but perhaps you should demand the opinion of someone who has been complaining alot lately.
    @Wujigege if you got something to say, here is your chance

Wujigege likes this.
  4. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    Pressure against Creatives.
    Good:
    1. From what I've seen running CrN, asking after a week of no updates is quite reasonable.

2. Asking about a schedule for the novel is also reasonable.

Bad:
    1. But if a TL-er or Author is pumping out consistent updates (3-7x a week), and also reserves a few ahead chapters to support the tremendous work they put into it but are hounded to make them free... that is not acceptable.

2. Not reading a novel with at least 50 chapters to wait till it bulks up enough. I know you're like, 'what? I should be able to wait.' But if you truly like the novel, you'd realize that waiting to chapter 200 can actually cause the novel to be dropped. Can you imagine doing 200 chapters with almost no views? That in itself is a form of reader pressure. It states that no one likes your novel.

And trust me, if a novel is barely getting any views, it's practically getting no donations or other means of support.

Yes, reader pressure exists. And depending on how it is dealt with, it can be quite discouraging. People give their all when they do a work.

Pressure against Readers.
    Bad:
    1. It is also not acceptable on the Creator's side of things to constantly make promises to readers and not fulfill them. And there are plenty of people who do that. I find it infuriating as a reader. And this is why readers tend to wait till it's chapter 200 or so.

2. Another thing is to drop a novel or pause a novel that has lots of views but solely build on the Patreon. Firstly, not many even know you are continuing on Patreon. Secondly, it's a form of hostage. You don't inform readers of anything and secretly are trying to prompt them to join your Patreons.

3. Going MIA after a few chapters is also not good. This is why readers tend to wait.

I had closing arguments, but... my food is ready. *Dinner time*

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    mir, draw2much, dhRPGamer and 3 others like this.
  5. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't consider the point about view count. I may have to start reading some of my wait list. Now, I do also have dropped projects on my wait list, so I may only start to read some of the ones that have been updated in the past month or so. But if that's a way to encourage translators, I can take the a long wait in order to let them know that I support and value their work.

J-Mitch and kenar like this.
  6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I only have one word....
    RASHOMON!!!
    [​IMG]

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  7. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't make the reader decide for u, it's your translation, make your own schedule, but you need to be discipline with that schedule, if you only post one chapter per week, then post one chapter a week, unless something emergency or urgent stop you from doing it. This is called building trust with the reader.

8. yserieh

yserieh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a translator, but an editor/proofreader who works some authors/translators on a professional and hobby levels: The big issue is lack of communication. People understand life happens, but when you go radio silent, people panic because they have deep love and enjoyment from your work. It's hard for them, most of the time, to convey they really treasure and appreciate your work, hence the impatience that can seem rude. But boundaries are important! If you need time, say you need time. Self care is super important, you know! Without self care, you're more likely to burn out on projects and not want to start new ones. Creative/Fun fatigue can be real!

Someone was stating "I Don't Trust My Twin Sister" was dropped, despite the translator saying "I NEED BREAK", which IS rude. But don't be afraid to slap a "Updates will be slow". You don't have to justify it or defend yourself. 99% of your fans will understand. It just tends to be the last 1% are the most vocal.

Translators: Just take care of you and don't be afraid to communicate you need to slow down/take a break. Don't be afraid to block/ignore people who trample on your boundaries cause you're not keeping a schedule they like.

Readers: What readers need to remember is that translators have lives, too. We all get caught up in our own lives and sometimes you need to put a hobby/pass time/not the main job on the back burner so you can be in a better position to address them when you do have time and energy later. When you harass translators for updates it can feed the burnout and further slow updates! If you wanna pop in and ask if everything is okay or if they're on break- that's okay if you're respectful about it. But do not make the translators feel guilty about doing this! How would you like it your boss screams at you for calling in sick when you're sick?! It happens, but it's not okay! This is how turn over and burn out happens.

If you know your translator has a discord and maybe put something there about a breaks, slow updates, etc- don't be afraid to be the messenger to share with others. Show support!

mir, AdCaelum, asriu and 5 others like this.
  9. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes there are days when I re-read some of my releases. And there are times where I wake up and forget, that I actually translated the chapter.

Me: "Oh the story is flowing pretty good, I wonder when the Translators next update is."

Also me "....wait, I'm the Translator....."

------------
    The pressure of translating. Since I do my projects freely (I dont advertise/ask for donations) the only pressure i feel is the one i set for myself. As in reaching my schedule of 2 chapters a month. Sometimes i push myself to do more.

On another note, right now I feel like, if I ask for monetary support (donations/payment). Then it means turning my hobby into a job. And with monetary gains, I'd feel pressured to deliver results. Making myself obligated, because it turned into a give-and-take type of situation.

I've done freelance gigs, some pay good and some pay not so good. With that experience, it's one of the reasons why I'm strictly staying as fan-translator for now. (Later in the future it might change, but it ain't my main focus, moreover I dont have the spare time to manage more duties)

mir, yserieh, Sephi-chama and 2 others like this.
  10. NovelReaderAnonymous

NovelReaderAnonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree on if you ask for money then you need to keep a schedule but what I find most funny is the people that complain the most are people not actually supporting the translator financially.

Like say the schedule is stated to be 14 a week, translator keep up 2x a day to constancy sake but the schedule is 14 a week. So sometime things happen when there be some delay, release get shifted but in the end still 14 a week like the schedule promised. But you read the comments on the chapters and you think the translator is like really behind on release or something with how people over react at times.

Moonpearl, kenar and Kiskaiya like this.
  11. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    As an author, I think it's a good idea to set a limit and deadline for yourself, and let your readers know about it so they can pressure you in your stead. The pressure worked wonder at keeping you finishing your work and not letting other distractions sway you.

However, you have to realize that you can't have both quantity and quality at the same time, and overworking would result in a downgrade in your story.

Kiskaiya likes this.
  12. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Ungrateful people. They should be glad to have readers. Now that i have your attention, its just a joke. Relax.

Kiskaiya likes this.
  13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly? When I'm taking an unannounced break, it's because I'm going through something and can't quite get into translating nor checking my website.

In this case I don't even see the comments about it... I just answer them later with a "Sorry" once I do get back to the site with a new chapter up.

So... This kind of comment doesn't really bother me, mainly because I don't see them.

Kuro_0ni and Kiskaiya like this.
  14. Dovey

Dovey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm guilty of this... I'm trying to translate the next one now but i feel so unmotivated... maybe I'll just go back and edit the past ones... again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.