Question Help, explain cultivation!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kiskaiya, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a friend who has actually become interested in the idea of Chinese translated novels recently. She hasn't read any, but after explaining a few different genres/tropes to her, she wants to give it a try. Problem is, she wants to know about cultivation novels and I honestly can't figure out a good way to explain it to someone who grew up in the states, has never read/seen Asian literature or movies beyond me getting her to sit down and watch Ip Man, and so doesn't really have any type of foundation to work off of.

So my question is this: Does anyone have a simple, concise way to explain a cultivation story to a Westerner? And is there an easy novel to start her on that kind of eases you into the genre?

(the novels I read all assume you know wth cultivation is and how it works. I know how it works, but I can't figure out how to explain it without it becoming a garbled mess)

Jeanette and Cutter Masterson like this.
  2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I’ve tried explaining it to my husband without luck. I have the feeling that My Disciple Died Yet Again had a pretty good explanation and that I didn’t understand cultivation myself until I started reading that... I could be wrong, though.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Just send her to me, i'll explain cultivation cauldrons. :blobpeek:

4. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon ball Z. You train, you gain powers, and you surpass the human limit. It's just that cultivation novels go in depth with a proper order, theory, and system, whereas Dragon ball Z is like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

5. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    You know...I never actually thought about DBZ like that. Huh

6. mjmking

mjmking Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cultivation is typically the practice of absorbing the lifeforce, or qi, of the world, refining it to a state where it can be used, then using it to improve the body for the purposes of strengthening the body and extending one's lifespan.

7. Deleted member 89812

Deleted member 89812 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    First get her addicted to anime (this is stage 1) , then after her addiction is past stage one, she'll naturally look for new sources of entertainment which leads us to stage 2 manga, when she finally consumes every single manga in the genres she likes she will move on to stage 3 asian novels. What's past this stage I suspect not even god knows...

8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just tell her that in China there's a lot of folklore about cultivating "inner energy", "life force" or "qi" through practice of martial arts or meditation, and that qi allows you to be super strong or live forever. Obviously that doesn't happen, but a lot of fiction has developed in which people gain all kinds of powers through cultivation. ---- Don't make it too complicated, she doesn't actually need the details.

9. Shaiyamine

Shaiyamine Reader of Novels, Slave to the Screen

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh cultivation is like training the body to its utmost limit. You "cultivate" to reach immortality, you use the world's energy to refine your body and you seek to understand the very nature of the world (this is dao). By refining the body, refining the spirit, and seeking enlightenment about the dao you tread more into the path of immortals. Then depending on the series you either end up as god or a high deity of some sort.

10. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    All based on the same origin. We improve the body by taking in energy and refining it. After that we learn to utilize that strength to perform internal energy. Next step is emission of energy. Mastery is control of external energy.

Just explain it as a spiritual road from a mortal that needs to eat, to a cultivator that controls his own energy influencing the world, to a god that controls the heavens.

11. Naruin

Naruin [Dada's New Employee][ex-NAH owner]

Reading List:
    Link
    try letting her read coilling dragon? a bit similar to western magic with a touch of cultivation.. @.@
    maybe that will help her slowly adapt to cn novels..
    thats my first one too btw.. :sushi_peak::sushi_hide:

Kiskaiya and otaku31 like this.
  12. azarias30007616

azarias30007616 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Coiling Dragon teached me all I needed to know about cultivation so I would recommended it as the first novel she should read. She could also try some manhuas or dramas to get a visual representation.

Naruin and otaku31 like this.
  13. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Start her off with Desolate Era on wuxiaworld. The protagonist is originally an ordinary human from earth, it goes into great detail explaining the structure of a cultivation world, and the various types of cultivation and their stages. It has important xianxia concepts like tribulations and daos. Plus it is one of the very few xianxia stories where the protagonist doesn't go around murdering anyone that looks at him the wrong way.

I think picking a non psychotic protagonist will be essential if you want to make a good first impression. Although if you want to be funny you could recommend something like Chaotic Sword God, or Peerless Martial God.

Maelstrom08, Naruin and otaku31 like this.
  14. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually a general martial arts setting where characters meditate or train over long periods of time in order to permanently increase the strength of their body.
    The nature of this means that older people, who have trained for longer, tend to be way stronger than younger people.
    As you cultivate your strength to higher levels you will gain the ability to use fantastical techniques, and in some cases become a literal god.

16. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It's about taking drugs and getting high, once you are high enough you transcend the heavens into an immortal.

On a side note, isn't dbz probably the cultivation most westerners would be familiar with? Only difference is instead of power level, its more like breaking through SSJ stages.

Kiskaiya likes this.
  17. Negiomi

Negiomi Idiot | Grandurr's

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Astral3

Astral3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think of it as absorbing energy distributed throughout the world, and using it to sort of 'purify' your body. Over time, as this energy becomes more concentrated in the body, you can use it to break through 'stages' by cleansing the meridians. Over time, the more of these meridians you open up, the more of this energy you can circulate and thus use. etc etc..

Coiling Dragon is probably a good starter?

otaku31 likes this.
  19. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    These both sound like really good choices, thank you!

Naruin and otaku31 like this.
  20. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Easy,

It's a story about neets that go berserk and start killing people when they're out of their caves.

Lurking and Raidou99 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.