Discussion If you became a Dungeon Master?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fire Tiger, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Robots

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. Drake888

Drake888 That one guy. You know, the one over there.

Reading List:
    Link

My suggestion is this: go fast and loose with the theme thing. Let people give you ideas. It is amazing what different viewpoints can bring to the table. But go super OCD on the rules against humans. Modern weaponry can easily pick apart any good dungeon story. My solution to this plot hole is "intent". Dungeons and magical things can only be harmed by weapons with intent. Bullets have no intent because you don't personally handle them. You pour them in a gun and pull the trigger. Your intent is in the gun, not the bullets. Arrows have intent because you hold them in your hand and focus on the one arrow that you are shooting. This neuters modern weaponry but also gives it a chance to make a comeback. For example, if a grenade was assembled by hand by somebody with a grudge against dungeons, it would have intent. Just my suggestion for your story. Unless you actually have the power to make real dungeon masters, in which case I eagerly volunteer and will comply with whatever rules and limitations you have.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In case you've forgotten. [Only mortal can enter this dungeon.] The robots have to either be brought piece by piece or summoned from another power-user or dungeon master inside the dungeon. Plus, the modern robots today are not advanced enough to threaten, much less clear the Divine Dungeon. OP did state it would happen on our Earth. I will assume it will be in this timeline, and thus no apparent robotic threat will harm this Divine Dungeon except for military artillery or other dungeon masters.

Even if you happen to have a robotic dungeon master invade the Divine Dungeon. I still possess my own heart and knowledge to create the monsters to counterattack your robots. It will cost a lot of points, but it will be worth it. Besides, I have the backup resources of thousands of souls sacrificed during the creation of the Divine Dungeon. Each soul having their heart and knowledge powering the Divine Dungeon. Can you imagine the flood of information fortifying the concept of divinity on my dungeon? Can you, a sole intruder, face against the rest of the mankind? I am Legion for we are many!

Should you launch a nuclear missile on my dungeon, I shall respond with my Testament. All that overpowering science of destruction will be rendered null by my legions of [Saints: phantasms materialized by Testament in accordance to the souls (points) used to summon them.]. Each [Saint] will be buffed by their respective legend and the faith powering them will serve as their greatest offense and defense. Unless you know each legendary Saints weakness, desist your futile attempts. I still have another legion of [Angels: phantasm materialized by Testament in accord...]. You cannot conquer me, only I can conquer ye.

Despair! Despair! For I am Legion the modern Ozymandias! This Divine Dungeon is all the world's pantheon! I need no contraption except the overpowering faith of mankind on my side in the form of the divine.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Evil_Ginger and Fire Tiger like this.
  4. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, my thought process was having the Dungeon act like some sort of ever growing Goblin empire. The first few Dungeon runs would result in the immediate death of weak humans at first, but once they began to strategize and learn the rules of the Dungeon, they could infiltrate and do their best. Now, I set the minimum of my Dungeon to 20, but no max. That is because the amount of items the winners can receive would be very little when considering valuables. Having a full army of humans is a waste of resources, especially since the Goblins can just recover the moment everyone leaves.

So a team of humans spreads out and defeats the weak Goblins, eventually working their way to the top and defeating the king. Yay~ they leave.

But the last surviving goblin, whether it be the king or a lowly goblin grunt that was the last to be summoned, will 'return' to the point just before the humans invaded. Using that knowledge, he would help raise the next generations to compete and raise the Goblins even stronger.

But bringing guns...explosives...new magic...hohoho~ what kind of things can the goblins come up with? Goblins wearing military equipment, hefting mortars, shooting rifles, and making machines. Hehehehe~ I also wanted to use the returner system to reincarnate a Goblin Hero out into the real world.

Then goblins from the outside can enter the Dungeon and spread even more chaos in the Dungeon, creating rifts and teams.

Speaking of, perhaps there is a usurpation of the throne or a rivalry between princes aiming for Kinghood. Then the players can affect the outcome. Wouldnt that be awesome.

No. I meant that your so called Braves would be nothing better than robots.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In most modern world set dungeon stories, they usually have it that modern technology doesn't work inside the dungeon or that the magic itself is more powerful than a regular riffle or firearm. Although I could see magical firearms being forge in time. Either way the concept is that the Dungeon Masters are normal humans from modern, at least until they were chosen, so they should have a basic understanding of what type of threads the Dungeon could face. I would imagine that most Dungeon Masters would place their core in the deepest, most hidden, and well protected part of the dungeon. Somewhere akin to a nuclear shelter.

The Dungeon themselves have themes because they are what anchors the magic to the world. So as long as the fire dungeon exists, there would be fire magic in the world. If the Dungeon Master is killed a new one would take their place, if not the magic would cease to exist. Anyway I'm going way too specific on the scenario, it's not like I plan to make a story out of it. I just want to see what types of concepts people can create, what creatures they think would fit into that concept or theme, and where in the real world such a concept would thrive.

6. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    I see no problem. This is a hegemony. Nothing Lives Forever Against Time. Their will to live and willpower to resist the temporal influence in the Divine Dungeon will just wear them down until they're but empty husks of their passionate selves. Do not forget, Testament alters reality through their faith in their respective faith. Imagine just stepping only once in the Divine Dungeon, but you are banished to feel the Biblical Exodus with each step towards me? The stronger the faith, the worse the influence over you. Only ignorance and bravery can withstand against [Traps]. As I stated in my first reply here, the Divine Dungeon is specialized in suppressing humans.

7. Fire Tiger

Reading List:
    Link
    The faith dungeon is mighty, but I'm not sure that it would be too successful if its Dungeon Master were to try to conquer another Dungeon. For example the doll dungeon that was mentioned earlier would be immune to most of the faith theme.

The goblin dungeon does have a lot of room to grow as the Dungeon Master get stronger. As they accumulate points, they could use it to make the interior bigger. Potentially being able to create multiple goblin kingdoms and eventually a goblin empire. Plus goblins units are a good force to test out the strength of the other dungeons.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  8. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link

But you run into another plot constraint quickly here. How much can you get with your starting points and how much effect does modern weaponry have? I feel like any dungeon would get 5 to 10 free human kills, no matter where they are. Curious civilians and all. But if you set up shop in a developed nation then the government will respond quickly. You'll have soldiers soon no matter where you go, and they'll all have assault rifles. Scouts will determine the danger and report back. Then you'll have a full response. Goblins have no chance without plot armor. And a successful dungeon raid means you lose the dungeon, per the OP. So you'll need traps too. So how much can you start with?

9. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, against non-humans, my dungeon is virtually defenseless. Of course, I can still defend my dungeon against the enemy dungeon master's common monsters with the thousands of souls in my vault. It should be enough to repel or downright expel them, since a third of the enemy's total common monsters are evil spirits types. It's quite the relationship, because I cannot defend against their dolls, but they can't defend against my holy defenses. The rest of the enemy's total invasion force would be dealt by the sagas, tales, or legends of phantasms using those souls I've assimilated in my dungeon as points.

Best remember, I still have my unique skill [Testament]. I can materialized [Holy Weapons] with conceptual attacks at a great cost, but it is worth it. Doll Dungeon versus Divine Dungeon. The Dungeon Master war between materialism and spiritualism. Quite the war theme, yes? Still, I rather work with the Doll Master. I believe we can increase our influence on the supernatural if we work together. Doll Master uses darkness to terrorize the humans while I, the Divine Master uses holiness to calm the humans. A classic tactic of the gods.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. Fire Tiger

Reading List:
    Link
    The Dungeon Master would be the Master of the place and by that I mean that they would probably be able to use dungeon points to ban certain items, restrict the number of visitors, or to control the dungeon entrance.

Each Dungeon would probably have a grace period for their master acclimate themselves to the job and to their new abilities. They would start with a good amount of Dungeon Points in beginning to build the Dungeon and the points could also be a potential life saving tool, if they manage them correctly.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  11. Fire Tiger

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be a fun match to watch.

12. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but I rather work with the Doll Master. I believe we can increase our supernatural forces if we work together. Doll Master uses ghastly common monsters to terrorize the humans while I, the Divine Master use my common monsters to protect the humans. A classic tactic of the gods. The devil's greatest lie on mankind. It will surely support our dungeons across time in the future generations.

But, if the Doll Master truly seeks to conquer me, then I shall leave no grudge behind. All evil spirits will be purified to dust. All dolls will be crushed to dust. All costumes will be vaporized to dust. IN HOC SINGO VINCES. Imagine a cross-shaped star of malignant light scraping the Doll Dungeon off the face of this Earth. Truly, it will be remembered as my covenant to mankind. I SEE, I SEER, AND I SNEER! Eventually, all of mankind will place their faith towards my dungeon. Fret not, fellow Dungeon Master, I need not to flail my dominance. I am the inevitable, for I am Legion, the modern Ozymandias, and all mankind's pantheon incarnate in the flesh. My house is holy, my heart is divine, and my WILL BE DONE on EARTH and is in HEAVEN.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  13. Fire Tiger

Reading List:
    Link
    Such an alliance would potentially allow you to conquer some of the strong Dungeon mentioned before like the Void Dungeon and the Dragon Dungeon.

14. Fire Tiger

Reading List:
    Link
    These are the themes that have been mentioned so far:

Fire Dungeon
    Doll Dungeon
    Void Dungeon
    Goblin Dungeon
    Comedy Dungeon
    Dragon Dungeon
    Faith Dungeon (Divine/Unholy)

Not a bad selection of themes. There were some other themes mentioned as well like ero and girl dungeons, but since they weren't fleshed out I didn't include them in the list.

AMissingLinguist and Evil_Ginger like this.
  15. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    Although, if the Doll Master truly seeks to conquer me, then I shall leave no grudge (remains) behind. All evil spirits will be purified to dust. All dolls will be crushed to dust. All costumes will be vaporized to dust. IN HOC SIGNO VINCES. Imagine a cross-shaped star of malignant light scraping the Doll Dungeon off the face of this Earth. Truly, it will be remembered as my covenant to mankind. I SEE, SEER, AND SNEER! Eventually, all of mankind will place their faith towards my dungeon. Fret not, fellow Dungeon Masters, I need not to flail my dominance. I am the inevitable, for I am Legion, the modern Ozymandias, and all mankind's pantheon incarnate through my dungeon. My house is holy, my heart is divine, and my will (Testament) be done on Earth and is in Heaven.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  16. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah. I was never for the Dungeon Core nonsense. I wanted this 'Dungeon' to be more of a realm or seperate world.

But if we go with Dungeon, that would mean the Dungeon Master is constantly changing. I guess then that would be my way to survive. Make people think the main Boss is the Goblin King/Emperor/Whathaveyou and that once the last Goblin is defeated, all players are kicked put of the Dungeon. My location would be hidden and away from everything. I guess in order to not attract attention, the reincarnating Goblin Hero would have to be removed. Otherwise, the troublesome Goblins would bring in stronger heroes.

But yeah. Goblins be mad weak, yo. I just thought that people would underestimate or take advantage of the Dungeon at first before getting their comeuppance. I am the kind of person that would leave neutral Dungeons alone as long as they dont affect the outside world. Thus, my own reasoning for removing the Goblin Hero ability.

A boring (lol) Goblin world dungeon that grows from previous Dungeon runs in more ways than just points. After all, the Goblins aren't spawned by the Dungeon, but bred naturally. The only supernatural thing taking place would be the return once the Dungeon run ends. Ooh, but maybe if the players all lose or leave, the Goblins come back even stronger, as the ones left alive can grow even quicker!

Fire Tiger likes this.
  17. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link
    First, don't sell yourself short. Always make it a story, even if you don't write anything. Might as well have fun while keeping the possibility of future profit.
    Second, saying "technology doesn't work" is stupid. It is lazy writing and you should avoid it. Everything past "tie a sharp rock to a stick" is technology. Even that is arguably technology. Say that magic disrupts electricity and magnetism, making compasses and wiring fail. If my intent idea is no good, you could user an idea that punishes damage based on separation from the weapon's natural state.

18. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, we get back in to a discussion of just how powerful the dungeons start out. If they start out above the level of current humans, to the extent that nobody has a chance with current tech, then why doesn't the creator step in personally?

Fire Tiger and Evil_Ginger like this.
  19. Evil_Ginger

Reading List:
    Link
    And then this would cause humanity to try and devise new tech that is magic resistant or just uses magic. Powered by magic stones or something, they would become a tool used by support types like Porters or Scouts. Of course, this would be expensive, so the desire for these conduits would rise and thus, a surge in Dungeon crawlers wanting to make a quick buck. Boom. Instant popularity.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  20. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link

So an abuse of the dungeon system. The explorer thinks the dungeon is conquered when it really isn't. But there is a time limit. As other dungeons fall the ruse will be revealed. You have to explain how the goblins will present a challenge. The answer is numbers, but how do they get to that point?

Fire Tiger and Evil_Ginger like this.