Discussion If you became a Dungeon Master?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fire Tiger, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    True. See, I think the concept of magical beings bouncing bullets off their skin should be reserved for the higher level monsters. Which require a lot of those Dungeon Points everyone likes using.

Perhaps only after going through a Goku style training, would your Units be able to repel bullets.

Grenades are similar to alchemical vials and powders, so those should be fine at first for doing some basic damage. I would think civilian style guns would be at the level of basic magic spells. Military grade firearms would be at the level of high level magic. Heavy weaponry would be Grand magic. And stuff like warheads and such would be Mythic/Legendary grade magic.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. Drake888

Drake888 That one guy. You know, the one over there.

Reading List:
    Link
    One hundred percent humanity would use the new system. It would be discovered, rules would be revealed, and then humanity rules exploit for benefit. It is unavoidable. Only question is timeline and starting point.

Fire Tiger and Evil_Ginger like this.
  3. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I get you. But in the end, isnt that how most Dungeon Exploring novels in modern worlds end up? Humans exploit the Dungeons, but dont necessarily destroy them unless they pose a threat. Dungeons would be a renewable source of treasure. That's a dangerous thing to have in the first place.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link

This is why I like the "intent" idea from my original post. You have an explanation that takes in human achievement but also limits them. You can't just say "here's the rules, because I say so" because that is stupid and lazy. You have to make it make sense. Like "magic is linked to the mind" or something similar. If you can't explain your own rules, everything will fall apart. But don't be afraid to get silly with it. Just make sure your explanation holds up against poking and prodding.

Evil_Ginger and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link
    NO
    There is a difference between intelligent prediction and stupidity. There is a reason I keep saying that lazy writing is stupid. If you just say "here's the rule" and move on, you will be forever limited by that rule. As the story progresses, that rule will be there. As you notice flaws you will have to work AROUND that dumb rule. Instead, take a minute to think about the rules of your universe. It's worth it.

6. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, we're currently struggling with global warming because of human greed. Do you really think the first response would be "let's preserve this new resource?" No way. The first thought would be "let's take all of this before someone else can". The second thought would be how can we get more. Only after that would people start talking conservation or sustainability.

7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's go back to the beginning of the scenario.

A mysterious being appears on Earth and they bring magic with them completely changing life as we know it. This magic comes in many shapes and forms such as the power over the elements, in the shape of monsters from myth and legend, or even metaphysical forms. Whatever style or type of magic it is, it will flow from a special facility. These facilities are the Dungeons.

The Dungeons were created by the mysterious being to bring magic into the world. The Dungeon absorbs energy from living beings and transforms it into magic that later spreads into the world. These Dungeons are spread throughout the world and the mysterious being picked select humans to run and maintain these Dungeons. If the human accepted the offer they would pick from the variety of magic and the place of its location. After accepting, those humans won't be human anymore, they would Dungeon Masters a new species onto themselves that are tightly connected to their source of magic granting them abilities like no other.

Although these Dungeon Masters would be the most adept at their specific magic, the magic itself would still spread through humanity at certain rate. Random individuals would start to develop their own ways to use magic and it would lead to a new technological revolution.

Many of these new magic users would seek rewards in the birthplaces of the magic, the Dungeons. But those novices would just end up feeding the source of magic with their lives. Dungeon Masters would be experts in their field of magic, they would have God like powers, and pretty much a world of their own to mess with as they please. But outside world would continue to develop and if the Dungeon Masters don't improve as well, then eventually they would fall only to be replaced by someone better.

Lazriser likes this.
  8. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like this scenario. If we, Dungeon Masters desire to exist in the New Earth. We must carefully plan and assimilate much resources as possible, to become a part of the New Earth and Mankind.

Give it a century or two, Mankind will be similar to us except without the advantages of a Dungeon Master, and should the Dungeon Masters lose their tactical advantage against these new spawns of Mankind. We will lose our rights to exist on New Earth as the original plan was the flourishing of magic on Earth. Whatever the obstacle, we as Dungeons Master will strive to maintain our existence not only as magical resources for Mankind, but individual rulers of otherworldly dimensions inside the dungeons.

It need not be to said, but in time, new Mankind will develop new terms for us. Somewhat akin to cliche heroes vs demon lords, and obviously, we know who we are. The only difference is, Mankind will grow to be united for sometime until they can learn to manage our dungeons, and we too should establish a rule of sorts to avoid our extinction as individuals. All said and done, you want to keep your throne as Dungeon Masters, then strengthen your dungeons and keep hold of Mankind's interest!

My dungeon will likely be the last to conquered, because no matter the age or era, Mankind lives on faith. The faith is dynamic yet remains stagnant altogether with civilization's progress in New Earth. I, the Divine Master, will always exist alongside Mankind, be it before or after magic revolution. No matter they're level of craft or knowledge, my dungeon will accumulate it all the moment someone enters it. Remember, all Mankind's heart and knowledge, their faith is mine to grasp, understand, and keep hold for me to strengthen this dungeon. I would be feared and worshiped as Mankind's History with all my treasures being knowledge, power, and fame across time. Scholars would seek me, and many others for their faith. I am Legion, the modern Ozymandias, and All Mankind's Truth! Nothing escapes me as nobody escapes faith, be it there of lack thereof!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Reading List:
    Link
    The Dungeon Points would basically be a numerical representation of the magical potential that the Dungeon Master has at their disposal to control the Dungeon and their own abilities. The Dungeon uses life force as the basic energy form. Therefore the amount of life present in the Dungeon would represent how much magical potential they have available. The Dungeon Master can create creatures to live and habitate in the Dungeon and these creatures would generate Dungeon Points. But there only so much energy that a closed system can generate. Therefore life force that comes from the outside would generate a greater amount of Dungeon Points than just using the Dungeons natural fauna. Also when one of those outsiders dies all of their potential life force would turn into energy thus generating more in their deaths. Another point would be that stronger more powerful beings would have more life force and therefore would bring in more Dungeon Points.

The Dungeon Master would be able to invest these Dungeon Points back into the Dungeon to shape it as they will or they could use them to strengthen themselves. Either way it would be vital for them to gain a inflow of life force. Therefore they should offer incentives for outsiders to visit the Dungeon. But at the same time they would have to balance that with their own safety.

10. Drake888

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok. Assume the dungeon is a portal to another dimension then, rather than a huge cave. That works. So instead of the intent idea, the dungeon master controls his/her tiny universe and intruders need sufficient power to overcome these limits. That works.

11. Fire Tiger

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much. They would need to always connected to the world at large since they are magic engines, generators, and filters for the world, but they would still be worlds of their own where a specific type of magic thrives. And the Dungeon Master would be the curator, manager, and overseer of such a place.

12. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be nice if someone wrote a fiction about this. Japanese dungeon masters tend to be slice of life (or dark route), harem, and usually only one dungeon master in their story. So I haven't seen a similar concept to this, maybe, except that novel on demon lord and town (dungeon).

Fire Tiger and Evil_Ginger like this.
  13. Wireath

Wireath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In that case, I'd not want to be found, so probably places people won't like exploring, Eg. Sewers or trash depots), underwater (if it'd allow be to survive), or some mountain range, to allow me to hide through making 'fake' dungeons.

Though, I'd probably go with some mountain ranges, make a labyrinth, with birds and bats as my mobs, than send them to collect people, and trap them in my dungeon for the points.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  14. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    You will not kill them? Not even enslave these humans? Do you sympathize with these humans?

Your mercy is cruel, fellow dungeon master. You will gain enormous amount of points by killing them, rather than prolonging their isolated suffering in the dungeon. I advise you to harden your resolve, because in a century or two, we will be the ones close to extinction. Mankind are no longer are kin, we are our only kin. It will be a great shame should you be conquered, and thus resulting in your death as a dungeon master. The dungeon lives but the master dies. This is our fate when we accepted our roles in this death game.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  15. Wireath

Reading List:
    Link
    They'll die eventually, and it's better to squeeze as much points out of them as possible, imo. Especially so if they can never find the entrance or core.

Think about it, forever being chased in a dark cave, that might as well be a labyrinth, not knowing if or how to get out, and being hunt endlessly, not knowing if or when you get to rest; would drive them insane.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  16. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    The points you gain when they live are smaller compared to when they are killed. Check previous replies here from OP.
    Either you did not know, or you are aware but just plain sadistic, or merciful as a former human. Regardless, I hope you live on, fellow dungeon master. Also, what is your dungeon? Mine is the Divine Dungeon (or faith dungeon, OP calls it).

Fire Tiger likes this.
  17. Wireath

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, so the points gained would only be a one time thing? Instead of a continuous trickle? Then yeah, I'd kill them by dropping them into my dungeon instead.

Ps. Working on it.
    Theme: Endurance/Stamina Dungeon
    Dungeon Master: Vampire of some sort
    Dungeon Master Unique Skill: Null/Mundane Aura/Domain -- To give an idea of it: enemies, within a designated area, can only use their physical prowess against me; Eg. No magic+skills, buffs, doping, equip bonuses/enchantments, etc.
    Ambient: Ores, ice, mushroom&moss, and villages?
    Major Boss: Ice/Snow Pheonix and/or Humming Bird of some kind
    Minor Bosses: Bat Choir, Vampire, Rocs, etc
    Common Monsters: Flightless birds(Ostriches, chickens, so on), bats, birds of prey, rats, humming birds, parrots, insects, walking mushroom, etc
    Traps: One way doors, pit falls, monster house, safe houses, etc
    -- Basically, the idea is Atrophy (Aka, progressive decline); where I capture and throw people into the dungeon, and have them fight common mobs while they find their way out, thus strengthening and exhausting them (Aka vigilance), then assassinate them. And due to location, it'd be much harder for people to find my dungeon.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  18. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Points gained from foreign entities is larger than native entities born in the dungeon.
    2. Points gained are larger when foreign entities are killed.
    It's like how I established my dungeon on Vatican City with most of Rome sacrificed as its points. Converting human souls to points to strengthen my dungeon.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  19. Wireath

Reading List:
    Link
    Forgot the "Creatures give less points, people give more, if the person dies it gives more still. The more powerful the person, the more points it gives." from my first post. Would probably trap them in there, and let them kill some small mobs like low level chickens and bats for food and such, then kill them with some surprise after they level some.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  20. Lazriser

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on your [Ambient], [Common Monsters], and [Traps]. If your [Theme] does not allow [Common Monsters] like chickens or bats to exist or survive in here, then it's likely you will just torture your invaders. Good plan, though. My dungeon is all reflected to mankind's consciousness. It matters what age or era it is, as long mankind exists and posses faith, be it scientific or supernatural, my dungeon shall remain enduring forever.

Fire Tiger likes this.