Recommendations What are some well-researched novel that you have read?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by youseiki, Jul 24, 2019.

1. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know how to phrase it properly, so my title sucks.
    Basically I'm looking for a novel with a bit of research or information on it, doesn't matter if it's outside NU.
    Explaining what I'm looking for is a hassle, so I'm just gonna give an example from various manga/anime I know for you to easily understand what I'm looking for.
    Space Brothers - story about becoming an astronaut
    Koe no Kitachi - struggle of a deaf person
    Golden Kamui - a snapshot of ainus
    Cells at Work - anthropomorphized cells
    Shimanami Tasogare - LGBT done right
    Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? - fitness

Otoyomegatari - story about central asia
    Sounan Desu ka? - survival
    Saijou no Meii - pediatric heart surgeon
    Maria the Virgin Witch(anime) - Realistic Medieval Combat

now if you get the gist

just don't recommend for something like these:
    Release that Witch - not bad, but too serious and too long for me
    Dr.Stone - much more absurd than above, but at least it's fun
    Saving 80,000 Gold in an Another World for Retirement - the manga barely bearable to read, but not its novel

2. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    FFF-Class Trashero is written by someone who most likely has a biology degree, and is pretty well researched in how the human body works, and how science can prevail in a fantasy world. And though it is still a fantasy novel, it gives a lot of explanations on how he does things.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Paps and youseiki like this.
  3. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    My Cousin Vinny. A comedy movie about law which is surprisingly accurate.

Paps, youseiki and otaku31 like this.
  4. Si Kucing

Si Kucing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spice and Wolf - economy, specialy that church-merchant relationship and the effect of a decision on various level, place and people are god awesome

There's also a novel with high in depth about mid medieval feudal nobility their relation with other class, their kings and intrigue..... but i forgot the name (n)

youseiki likes this.
  5. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Globin Slayer, the weapons explanation and use, shows author did research about them

6. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    Mahouka Kouko no Rettousei - scientific magic (ln)

Toaru Majutsu no Index - esper vs magic (ln)

Warhammer 40K - combination of magic, space, god, and tech. (Novel)

Getbackers - they use complicated concept of Logic as a means to fight. (manga)

Etc.

7. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you know that ecchi authors research underwear? Commitment is inspiring.

youseiki likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Bakuman - manga industry
    Temperature of Love - Screenwriting
    god of money - money
    War of Money - money
    [​IMG]

Paps and youseiki like this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Romance of The Three Kingdoms....................... lul

that aside

The King's Avatar, put e-sport aside and game mumbo jumbo~ Big Guild competition toward various thing is good one~ I love how it explain guild structure, reason to choice it member, management and use of spy~ been there done that~ some of it lel~

I wanna put The Princess Wei Yang for how dark china harem intrigue on history~ which make me never dream to have one(actually cuz I learn harem history) but since it have plagiarism issue let put To Be Virtuous Wife~

Governing on old time I suggest Sevens but since you have read it then......... nothing come atm oh wait there Genjitsu blablabla that was translate by yukkuri if I remember it correctly

Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan, https://www.novelupdates.com/series/da-tang-shuang-long-zhuan/#comment-15622 I agree you will need map to really understand how it will happen later, oh also how 2 faction bad and good mingle over country ruler~ hmm I see it from tactical PoV

Wu Jizun, Wujigege and youseiki like this.
  10. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    David Gerrold's War Against the Chtorr series:
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=war+against+the+chtorr&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
    It's the best of the "invasion of Earth" genre novels I've read. Instead of the ol' "space armada coming in and dropping down loads of shock troops", the Chtorr ...
    is Chtorr-aforming the Earth first. It starts with Chtorr-ian bacteria to prep the environment, this allows the lower Chtorr-ian life forms to germinate and seed the Chtorr-an food chain, etc. Of course, it took a while for people to realize what was going on, but by then most of the population was dead. As of book 4, the actual intelligent invaders haven't been revealed yet.
    The invasion is the theme of the series, but Gerrold fills the novels with lots of other side topics. It's pretty heavy on all sorts of psychology, ponderings regarding sexuality, etc.

An personal anecdote: in book-3, the MC encounters and stays for a while with a group who were taking care of orphans. The group was trying to heal the mental condition of the kids (you know, because about the whole world has gone to hell and everybody they knew had died). The cult-like group leader explained some techniques to the MC during this arc. Well, a few months later in real life, my coworkers and I were sent to a company training seminar. And I immediately recognized 7 team-building techniques that were described in the novel !!! There were probably a few more, though. Much later, I read that Gerrold was an avid follower of self-improvement/empowerment training. In fact, he taught them too.

NOTE: the series stalled out at book-4 (released in 1992). In an old interview, Gerrold said that he expected the series to be around 7 books. The reason book-5 is delayed was due to the original publisher who bought the rights to it went out of business, so it's been in quasi-limbo since. There's been a few attempt to get it going again, but again, issues with publishers. By the way, Gerrold is still alive. I was mighty worried for a while.

Edit:
    Some other David Gerrold novels you may be interested in:

When Harlie was One (1972) - regarded as one of the quintessential novels about artificial intelligence.
    The Man Who Folded Himself (1973) - regarded as one of the quintessential novels about time travel.

youseiki likes this.
  11. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    it's 2am in my timeline so... just put your recommendation guys on this thread while i sleep :blobsleeping:

12. Tsukkin

Tsukkin [is currently lurking]

Reading List:
    Link
    1.Literally every single novel by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles, etc) - his novel is all about myths, legend, and history (greek, egypt, nordic)

2. Lord of the Mysteries - about victorian steampunk era, tarot, and myth.

3. The King's Avatar - about e-sport game

4. Pet King - ok i was really surprised when i found that this novel has many information regarding pet and animal in general. Not only that, some parts of the story also explains about social issues, history, illness, and many interesting facts that i never knew until i read the story. Fyi, i even checked if those facts were true or not, so i guess this novel is quite educational.

5. Investment Life (the title is quite odd, oh it's BL btw) - it's about reborn man who build his wealth from zero. The author narrates the economic events of 1990s really well. And guess what, the setting is not only in China but also in US. You can find many things such as, China and US stock market, Wall Street, Goldman Sacs, Silicone Valley, and many giant industries at that time. At earlier chapter, the author even provides the real historical chart of Shenzen Stock Exchange in 1991.

youseiki likes this.
  13. starvingsloth

starvingsloth Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki -
    How a Realist Hero Rebuild The Kingdom (light novel, jp) about kingdom building but much more interesting than release the witch imo

Dr. Koto Shinryoujo (manga)
    or
    Jin Munakata (manga)
    both are about doctors, it has to be accurate at explaining surgeries, right?

Suicide island (manga) (gore, sex)
    A bunch of suicide survivors are kidnapped and thrown into an island by the government. The protagonist have to learn some hunting skills to survive

youseiki likes this.
  14. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    sengoku komachi kurou tan

youseiki likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Genjitsu bla bla blah
    Hahaha that was priceless, translators think leaving novels name in romaji is cool
    It is just annoying and even stupid

16. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My Yandere Succubus Daughter is Mommy Warrior's Natural Enemy (Being re-titled to Click For The Transmigration Survival Guide)
    - It's set during a medieval era where banking and stocks have just been introduced (the equivalent of them during their infancy). Other financial stuff such as insurance and business becomes involved
    - Includes managing foreign relations
    - Includes court politics and conspiracies

Martial King's Retired Life
    - Includes plenty of Wushu knowledge (prepare to explore various styles, weapons no longer taught as part of the official wushu syllabus - legitimate wushu)
    - Plenty of food knowledge, which includes exploring local delicacies, staples etc.
    - Takes in place in a partially real China (some added sects and locations not part of history)

And what Asriu said, Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan
    - Takes place over an expansive real China

17. Eduarda

Eduarda Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Love The World is very sci-fi-y. The MC is a scientist and finds himself in a medieval world which has magic. His approach to this is to figure out how this magic works in a particle sense. Lots of chemistry and general particle physics.