Discussion How do you guys read the thousands of chapters in Xianxia or Wuxia novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Gekkoureader, Jul 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Little Big House

Little Big House Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have absolutely no idea, most of the time it's because the translations are still on-going and you read the chapters quicker than the translating pace.

In the end it feels like there's never enough. But I have to say that the worst thing I did was pause in the middle to stack the chapters, only to see that I have 1000 chapters stacked. That made me drop ISSTH.. still regret it 'til this day..

I think the first big novel I read in one go was Coiling Dragon, translated on WuxiaWorld. It was my first chinese novel, and I quickly got hooked up on the story.

I was disappointed by the ending since I found it rushed. Ugh..

kurisomething likes this.
  2. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In case of CN/JP novels the chapters aren't generally too big and it's easier to quick-read them. But in case of 6k-10k word chapters of original English novels it takes a bit longer, especially when the style and language are good. A good piece of writing sure demands more appreciation.

3. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    As to lengthy stories, well, I've read almost all of David Weber's Honor Harrington series along with it's 4 spin off series. All together, there are around 33 novels, I think. That totals more than a couple of thousand chapters. But I didn't read them all in one sitting. You can do the same with these asian novels. Binge a story arc or two, then take a break. Read something else to "cleanse your palette". It's easier if you're caught up and are just reading 1 or 2 chapters a day and you're following several novels.

4. Sin

Sin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

After awhile there is a point in which I skip based on chapter names. The names can be a "decent" indicator of if it can be skipped. Like in MW I'd skip 10+ chapters until I get one with a title that doesn't sound like a repeat of every previous arc.

5. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    PATIENCE???​
    pa·tience
    /ˈpāSHəns/

noun
    noun: patience
    the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.
    "you can find bargains if you have the patience to sift through the dross"
    synonyms: forbearance, tolerance, restraint, self-restraint, resignation, stoicism, fortitude, sufferance, endurance; More
    1. Are you in a hurry?
    2. Everyone I know read it for relaxing and wasting time
    3. My First novels are LLS, MGA, AST around 2014 ago, only one still ongoing and nowadays if wanna read just read if not then go do others things, no need to thinks thoroughly
    So, I wanna ask why are you reading, for what?
    If it's burden then don't read at all

6. mio

mio just me

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm, i'm a mix of being able to read them and not being able to. i have read plenty of wuxia and xianxia novels, but only a few i have read until the end. The problem with those books it that quality is questionable. The longer the book the more dificult it is to keep up with the events, and the harder it is to keep a steady flow throughout the story.

A lot of novels just keep going on while the interest in them just fades away. it's sad really, because a lot of those stories would've done really well would they have been shorter.

Most also focus on only three things; Women, Cultivation, Fighting.

while a lot can be gotten from those three categories, women are usually just decorations to be collected, while cultivation has a limit to the amount of 'amazing' techniques you can throw at your character, and constant fighting makes for a bad flow in the story, and bores quite quickly.

of course, there are novels that are a lot better at managing this, getting more out of those categories and not falling into cliché's, while others still innovate and come up with different directions, but those are hard to find, and the wuxia/xianxia genre is currently stuck in a repeating loop of endless amounts of endlessly long stories that are basically similar to each other.

Naruin likes this.
  7. Gekkoureader

Gekkoureader Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I'm in a hurry. I am excited, filled with anticipation of the next thrilling event or plot twist. Regardless if it's anticlimatic or a regular mundane thing that happens in the story, I am waiting for it. Reading word for word, not wanting to miss anything that is important. I want to be able to see, and imagine the scenery further with each letter, each word. I want action, adventure, a sense of fantasy to come into my mind. That is why I said patience.

8. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are more bored otherwise, eg. Sitting on train ride that is long enough to bore you, too short to do anything productive.

It helps if the novel is actually good and not one of those "made in china" versions of CN (aka if you read one of IET novels you read them all, or; super doctor spy military woman the genre).

I stopped reading CN myself for most part because currently active ones seem to just be knockoffs of other works I already read/gave up on.

9. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to know too, I also very rarely manage to finish a thousand chapters of xianxia/wuxia novel. I can reach several hundred if i'm invested. but most of the novels on this site is junk food, so i get bored after 50-100 chaps, if its better than that i can reach about 200-300, . but the rare good novels tend to be shorter or have longer upload dates. so even if i want to read 1000 chaps, I just cant find many novels i feel that are good enough for me or fits my tastes to continue reading or have enough chaps for me.

i think the only novel i managed to reach the 1000 mark was The kings avatar. (might be the only one i'll finish) If there were more blue butterfly novels translated i think i could read much more. but many of the novels on this site is mediocre at best or don't fit my tastes.
    i also read 12 volumes of mahouka and manga volumes of Kino no tabi. idk how many chaps those are though.

that said can someone translate Heavens Awakening Path please? I totally feel like i would read 1000 chaps of that if it was only translated.

10. xvxoxnx

xvxoxnx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hahaha...the real question should be how I can read through thousands of chapters of Google Translate raws of CN novels...:D
    too bad I cant find a site for free KR novels...then I would read that MTL translated too...lol

- I try to read the proper translated novels first, then if i like it and the translations are slow, I read the MTL raw directly
    - I usually change genre after every novel i finish, so the plot and setting do not feel repetitive
    - try to find novels which you like...for me it's with some comedy (Er Gen) (currently reading Virtual World: Peerless White Emperor..though its hard to read using MTL as its too complicated)
    - I usually read 50-100 chapters at home after work
    - yeah, skimming some parts is ok..as long as you don't skip important plot lines
    - most endings of CN novel are rushed..don't get surprised anymore
    - also...don't read using a cellphone for too long (few chapters are ok)....best use a PC or tablet..or ur eyes will hurt (also don't read sites with black background and white text..eyes will hurt also)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Naruin likes this.
  11. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    when I'm absolutely bored with no bl to read.
    but I usually opt for kor novels instead of wuxia

12. xvxoxnx

xvxoxnx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    KR novels are good as long as you don't mind dungeons and VRMMORPG ....:D

13. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think of them as chapters, more like a page.

Also, xianxia/wuxia novels are sOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo repetitive. I loose interesting because of that.

14. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapters are short, like 4 pages double spacr on a word document. I read plenty of books that are 400+ dense pages that are part of series. so reading thousands of chapters is nothing if I like the story

15. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    You just get bored easily. Maybe switch to reading short stories.

16. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Consider them as "junk food", like really, Xianxia novels always have repetitive story arcs anyway. So when you are having free time with nothing to do, just pick up random novels and read them. The amount of novels that I actually enjoy and reading them with the intention of reading them can be count on my hands. You just need to read 1 arc, or at most 2, then you can figure out how the rest of the novel will be, might be 3 if the Author try a different approach to the ending, if those Xianxia novels even have ending.

17. Ilisle

Ilisle Lord of the Northern Guards

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause i got no social life

18. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    It's simple: I don't...

19. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe go for unique stories eg One Man Army.
    The novelty simply wore off for you.
    I didn't finish ISSTH but I got pass chapter 500. I only dropped it because just like Naruto the story is a retconned piece of trash. A prince presented as a pauper, I felt cheated. Meng Hao was never truly in any danger the first 500 chapters as his mum would have single handedly destroyed the clan involved

20. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can go through 1000 chapters/week if I like the story enough. It helps that with my work staring at a computer all day, I can just read while working heh. Sometimes I like to slow down and really savour the story, go back to previous chapters and re-read again or let it sit while finding another series to occupy the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.