TV Unpopular Opinion

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Singularmine, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Singularmine

Singularmine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been thinking this for awhile now but I really can't stand the 2017 adaptation of Hilarious Pampered Consort: Lord I Will Wait for Your Divorce, Eternal Love.

Not this one

But this

Mostly because of the derailing of the female actor. The original novel portrayed the FL as someone who, although is internally distressed, is able to compose herself outwardly. She knew when to back off and when to advance. This was the endearing quality of her character. The contradicting inner dialogue contrasting from her mask was the hilarious portion of the character. Although, I personally have not read the whole novel considering the translation has been on and off and don't know if her personality is consistent, but just judging from the first few episodes, I really can't stand it.
    The drama adaptation? Childish, thoughtless, i m m a t u r e. I cannot stress how much this disappointed me. Regardless if the drama had a preceding novel or not, I still hate this type of character.
    From what I could tell however, the reviews seem pretty decent with an overall 8/10 according to MyDramalist.
    Anyways, what's your opinion about this drama?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    ludagad likes this.
  2. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Something something Top Management tv adaptation bad something something rant about changing the genders of the characters very bad.
    TV adaptations are 99% surely gonna be shit. If Netflix can fuck up an adaptation why the fuck can others not fuck up theirs

3. Singularmine

Singularmine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That of course I understand. Rather than complain about the writing and this and that, I kind've just wanted a discussion about the difference in opinions(if there is) about this drama. Does that make sense?

4. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, but you should already be aware that they want to earn a high rating as much as possible rather than try to make a faithful adaptation(except when sticking to the actual plot makes it more famous which happens rarely). In my opinion though, I would rather have a faithful adaptation rather than some bullshit to strike the interest of the masses with a hot guy as the MC to attract fangirls(looks at I'm Not Going to Be Bullied By a Girl tv adaptation in disgust)

5. Ariahz

Ariahz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I'm opening this thread again simply because I had stumbled onto this adaption a few hours ago, and made it up to episode 6 before dropping it. I had this major problem with the plot and looked up on other sites to see other people's reviews because I wanted to know if they were as agitated as I was. Sadly, I found nothing that shared my opinion but one review that I think was too rude. First off, please note that I myself simply don't like this drama and this isn't meant to be offensive or anything. With that being said...

I honestly don't like the female lead's persona. She had two sets of differing personalities: the modern impulsive Xiaotan and the reserved original owner of their shared body, Tan'er. While I find fault with both of them, I dislike Xiaotan a bit more. At first I liked her headstrong, independent self and how she compares the older era and the modern era, but now I dislike her the most because of one thing pretty much no one thinks about: Tan'er is the original owner of their body, but it doesn't seem like it anymore. Somehow, Tan'er, who I strongly stress is the original owner of their shared body, slowly fades away and is irrelevant later in the drama despite it being her actual goddamn body/life. Although I don't like the fact that Tan'er willingly sacrifices herself for some dude who won't ever share her love back, I feel rather pitiful because honestly think about it: how would you feel if some stranger from another world literally takes control of your body, has sex with someone you don't even love (!!), ruins your already tarnished reputation and even destroys your relationship with the real person you love (even if he's toxic af) without permission/consent whatsoever? Also, highlight the part where the stranger takes control of your body and loses your virginity to another stranger because?? That was such a low blow and I really dislike it and how Tan'er just straight up disappears like hasta la vista but goodbye forever? On top of that Tan'er tries to kill herself for the second time but she can't die because literally everyone and everything hates her and apparently, and I quote from her herself, she "can't even make decisions in her own body" because at that time she switches to Xiaotan and Xiaotan, despite hearing that her other self literally just attempted suicide, is like, really ignorant and obnoxious, and just shrugs it off? Like lmao she doesn't care that her other self just committed suicide? I don't know what I just said. I read some reviews and everyone's like "I like Xiaotan because she's a don't mess with me female lead, but Tan'er is such a depressed, boring girl! I don't like her also btw the male lead is SUPERB" and I felt kinda disappointed but idek. I only read a few chapters of the og novel, but from what I've seen the split personalities don't happen and the female lead is more tolerant there, so I'll continue to read it (and yes, I know this problem isn't addressed in many other novels but hey, this situation just hella pisses me off).

But enough with me being pissed off and ranting at some drama at 3am and reopening some random thread. I just felt like I had to get that off of my chest. Okay I'm sorry, good day.