Dealing with the poor

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnGrave, Jul 30, 2019.

?

Do you help the poor?

1. Yes, I give them money or food

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Yes, I help them learn to manage themselves better

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. No, I don't

32 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. It's complicated (please specify)

22 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on where you live at there is government assisted housing that they can qualify for or jobs assistance if they truly are homeless, but as a caveat they need to take regular piss tests, I don't give to homeless people anymore cause I know they're going to turn around and just buy drugs, or they're making more than most people panhandling.... 100+ for like 4 hours work

2. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to travel by bicycle since I cant function as a good driver of a motorized vehicle.

There arent subways or busses near me either.

I applied to all the hiring places 45min bike away from where I lived, none hired me.

Now I am hitching ride next town over to work next month.

I think around here collecting litter is a punishment instead of an actual job? I don't know if I can get hired for that... might have to look into it.

3. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    I always gave them money whenever I can. Even if they use it for drug, maybe, just maybe the act of kindness will get through them and they will help someone else that day.

4. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Poor people sometimes pass out drunk under my car. It's just a good spot I guess. The only time I've given any money to a homeless guy was when I first started going to the city, and he stopped me right when I was leaving my car asking for money. I panicked and tossed him a quarter. Since then, I've dealt with that crowd a lot more and realized that they actually do just spend all their money on drugs. They're given free food, shelter, and money from the government so they get complacent in their state of constantly finding their fix.

5. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Or they're just using it as a job, there is one on my way to work in my neighborhood that has been panhandling since I graduated high school (I'm in my thirties now)

You figure panhandling is all tax free money, if they get a dollar or two every 5-10 mins they make more than what alot of lower income households make

whitespade and Drake98 like this.
  6. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    I was picturing Jesus driving a [insert your favourite car brand] on a road paved with the bodies of people...

Drake98, EUGA and UnGrave like this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhn... I dunno why you assume I'm from the US... Rather, according to the only serious survey (at least that I know of) that ever happened on NUF, only about 27% of the users are from North America.

And when the state already provides tools for the homeless to find jobs, shelter, education and food, yet the homeless don't use those... Then the fault is of the homeless, not of the state.
    Yeah, I'd never apply to stuff like mining either, I was mainly referring to working at pretty much any shopping store, since those (at least over here) frequently end up needing new people, because like... They pay really poorly and demand lots of work hours, so people quit those jobs all the time as soon as a better opportunity arises.
    Oof... That's a really rough situation... I honestly can't even imagine living in a place without buses nearby. (lived all my life without subways though, only had them when I was in uni because it was in the biggest city in my country)

Over here collecting litter is definitely a job though! >.<

8. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    Ghats because theyre given all that for free not made to work for it. Ifbto earn bennefits like that they made people do manual or desk labour i bet 90% would do a lotttt better. Its funny what a little motivation can get you rather than just here have this for free.

I was raised poor. Was homeless from 17-19 worked the entire time never done drugs myself. But i know not every homeless person is like that its the ones who dgaf you see. But what about all the homeless that are ashamed or scared of people judging them for their bad luck?

Also i was homeless because i got kicked out when my mom got a new GF who didnt like me...was a minor even then it was tough to save enough. While trying to juggle showers and clean clothing, food, medicine and warmth. Its not cheap even being homeless and its not realistic at least in america to live off part time minium wage wich is what all jobs offer after obama care bs

Lurking likes this.
  9. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Part of it is also that "low qualifications" are actually a positive in lower end employment a lot of the times. If you have an actual decent education, they know you probably wouldn't stay in a low end position long before finding a better job elsewhere using the money you save there. Unless they want you in a higher up position they won't bother with you if you have higher qualifications. No point in spending months training someone so you can have to train their replacement in under a year.

whitespade likes this.
  10. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, around here you'd be hard pressed to find a bus, but you can always make a friend who regularly commutes to your target area and if you play your cards right they'll give you a ride in when you need it.

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Begging on roads and signal areas is an organized trade/ market practice(?)

You see packs of kids(some are 4 year old others 12) roaming around the cars begging for some change for food...:

While they beg, the older kids and old men sell miscellaneous stuff /toys.... then there are the mothers who come begging and almost crying with a baby(this baby looks soooo drugged up) I mean begging is an established occupation. All of these ppl have their own workplaces (aka signals) you will never see them on another’s area and it’s said that they have to give their day’s earnings to someone higher up in their chain of commands and so on it goes....

It actually pays well..

While I never give these workers any alms I always give to the hijras(I guess you can call them trannies . Hijras or trannies are a special kind of beggars( they don’t beg
    But rather demand). So while trannies are also to be found in the signals, nobody (especially guys) say no to them.... cuz it’s a belief and saying that a tranny’s blessings willl make your dong healthy. On the flip side, their curses will make it rot. So they don’t beg but give their blessings (?) for a price..:

Well this is how this ecosystem looks from outside...:

I have never been to the shadier side of the city and the system so I don’t know how bad it gets....

whitespade likes this.
  12. EUGA

EUGA The Taco Sovereign

Reading List:
    Link
    ibsi hear that we had a homeless guy in my town found dead right. The took his overcoat off the guy found over 20 land deeds and a million in cash.. So tbh u never know really

Jesus in a corvette driving on the highway to hell?

13. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone has their own circumstances.

Its ignorant to assume otherwise.

Also, I could kind of tell you werent from the usa.

...where do you live?

14. Lonelycity

Reading List:
    Link
    The land of Pepe and favela

15. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    I give the beggars my support by standing in line with them.

16. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is because i am use to USA people saying crap like this. Now, even then there are always reason for why homeless people do just get on those benefits.

17. Yaoikun

Yaoikun The other Red Siblings | Cursed Black Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can't beat em, join them!

18. Lonelycity

Reading List:
    Link
    Reasons such as? In my experience most poor ppl choose to beg cuz it pays more than getting a job. Tbh it IS easy to get a job but very difficult to get a well paying one...

19. trias

trias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's hard to even help myself

20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Those low end positions generally need a week or less of training before you are thrown into the fray, and many with low qualification still quit in under a year tbh... Even if to just move to the store right in front of it that was paying slightly more per hour.

At least it's how things work over here.
    Oooooooof... Well, it's nice having friends that can help you out on those occasions at least, but not having a good public transport system certainly hurts... T.T
    I'm from Brazil~
    Well, I'm sure each person has their reasons, but it doesn't mean I'll give them my hard-earned money~

Lurking and Lonelycity like this.