Dealing with the poor

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnGrave, Jul 30, 2019.

?

Do you help the poor?

1. Yes, I give them money or food

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Yes, I help them learn to manage themselves better

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. No, I don't

32 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. It's complicated (please specify)

22 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Si Kucing

Si Kucing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my country, a beggar monthly income is even higher than a fresh college lecturer....... a "proffesional" beggar even turned out to had his own car and driver (it's real! Police and journalist investigation often found out that beggar get money more than we think they are) and child beggar turned out to be childern exploited by their parents or other street gang in order to attract symphaty....... so no, i never give them anymore.....

whitespade and Lonelycity like this.
  2. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Very much like my place.... maybe we are from the same country....

Some random south East Asian country ~~

3. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    mate you live in america
    america is the worst place to be homeless
    the is shit load of competition in this departmend

4. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, for my job at McDonald's a few years ago I was hired in 3 days and got exactly 0 training before being put to work. "your starting? Great throw some meat on the grill and just make whatever the other guy asks you for. You can figure it out, right? We'll just yell at you if you get it wrong." I didn't get it wrong though.

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. Lonelycity

Reading List:
    Link
    Pats.... being a beggar pays in my place.

6. Si Kucing

Si Kucing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From my name alone.... u should be able to guess.... well..... there's 50% chance that it wrong tho......

7. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never give child beggars money since they are part of syndicates. It will embolden the syndicate to abduct more children for this begging thing.
    In my country, they use religion. They will force children in tahfiz school - school to learn religion etc- to beg for donation to make mosque or whatever. Children should learn, not beg, and children should learn secular knowledge (in addition to) religious knowledge.

Anyway, I don't give money to poor people unless they sell stuff (like crackers), or show a performance.

Lonelycity likes this.
  8. Shtirliz

Shtirliz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I don't. Where I live most poor people at streets work for criminal organisation in beggar business.

9. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a lot of scam where a person will pretend they got hit by a car and forced people to pay.

10. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why we pay taxes.
    Also sometimes give them food when I see beggers sleeping on the street.

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *laughs* Feels about right~

Putting you to deal with customers might take a few more days, but getting you to work starts immediately! xD

12. Mr_Magika

Mr_Magika Big oof

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually give money to buskers playing music, but I'm a little skeptical about the people just holding up signs on the sidewalk. I don't doubt some of them will use that money as productively as they can but there's a lot out there who are irresponsible about it.

Lurking likes this.
  13. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I gave my spare change to a musician today...
    I dont give to the ppl with signs and dogs tho.

14. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've know a few former homeless people. Yeah it's not easy to get a job when you don't have a home. They had trouble with people judging them for being homeless. A lot of them would say they were in the process of moving and then had trouble getting paid cause they couldn't get a bank account. It's not always because of addiction/drugs. One girl was running from an abusive ex, another guy had to many bills from his parents final expenses, and a lot of other reasons. Also shelters/programs have limited space and to apply for most government programs you need an address.

Anra7777 and CookieMonster like this.
  15. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    My stance is:
    1. "Just get a jaaab" is a pretty stupid thing to say, considering a lot of them might not be in a good spot. Like, what's easy for you isn't necessarily easy for them.
    2. They've got to get shelter, food and help from the government from a humanitarian standpoint. Society contains the word stem soc- for a reason.
    3. It's better for everyone to help the poorer class in general. Better economically, fair chances to children from all descents, and it improves everyone's happiness.
    Also a final hint: if they can get welfare but are still being miserable out on the streets, that should be a hint that maybe there's other factors in play.

Anra7777 likes this.
  16. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who told you to do that? I said to vote for a person that understand the poor and able to help them.

I have never look into it. But I do know USA vets have a lot of homeless people. Do you think their problem is getting a job?

17. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    When my empathy gauge rises to average lvl (like once a blue moon) I help but most of the time nope

18. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally, I don't.
    In the city I live in, there are three different kind of beggars (sorted by how many of them are there):
    1. Foreigners, carried here by some kind of beggar-mafia, to collect money (thanks to the otherwise helpful free-travel laws in the EU).

2. "normal" beggars, sometimes hard to distinguish from the first group, these people leave me with mixed feelings. Mainly because they are mostly either too lazy or too proud to do menial work or are addicts or (and I kid you not) because they noticed how much money you can earn begging. Seriously, some (few) beggar earn more than your run of the mill construction worker.
    There are some who just have a rough streak, but I just don't know who of them are.

3. A group of punks hanging around close to the train station. While they are the most likable of the bunch, they are also the ones who have the least excuse to beg. Honestly, I'm not sure if they are begging to buy some beer, or because they can hang out were they are without having some concerned citizen call the cops on them all the time that way.

19. Lonelycity

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that their problem is that nobody is willing to hire them...
    Back in my stay in the US, I saw a lot of advertisements in the stores looking for salesperson and what not. But I guess these ppl won’t get hired even if they show up...

I mean, you just made me prove my point. They will only be hired for shady jobs and not the clean kind....

20. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    If you feel like they'd wasted them on something else then give food instead. Some of those beggars would be really counting on those kind gifts just to get through the days.

I agree there's some truth in that they're unnecessary part of our society built to grind out human resources for capitalism but they're perhaps a good reminder of what's the system had forgotten along their way. Humanity.
    You know back in my hometown we're all poor of cash but nobody really felt that way since all families back then managed small farms each complimenting each other. Everything shared among each other for free.