Discussion Lets talk about tags...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Scrimivory, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scrimivory

Scrimivory Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I've been thinking a lot about tags in general, and wanted to hear everyone's thoughts about it.

When I look for novels, tags are the first thing I'd usually take notice of. Doesn't necessarily have to be from novelupdates. Here's what goes on in my head when I look at tags, the "rules" I follow if you will;

I'm fine if there's a Nationalism tag, or a Racism tag, but if there are those two tags together, I wouldn't even bother with giving the novel a chance. My experience with reading I'm Really a Superstar gives me enough of all that crap for a lifetime. This bad experience seems to carry over to other novels that have those two tags together from what I've read. Those two tags by itself are fine, but together is a recipe for disaster.

Harem tags are fine, but only if it comes with Polygamy tag, considering that it would basically ensure that MC does something about it, and everyone's happy. Not to say that I won't read it if there isn't a Polygamy tag, but I'd be reluctant.

Speaking of Harem tag, Reverse Harem tag is a no go for me. While I'm here, Yaoi, Shounen ai, Lolicon, Polyandry, are also tags that will completely kill off any thoughts about reading those novels with said tags. You can praise it to the skies, it can be a masterpiece like no other, but I couldn't care less and will not read it. Usually seeing those tags means it has to do with the MC, and I can't see myself read a novel with that sort of MC. I'd be fine if it was a side character, my main concern is it cannot have anything to do with the MC. I don't think I'm a homophobe or sexist or any other words anyone would want to throw at me, I'm apathetic about all of those things. Actually, I'm not going to bother explaining myself, that's just how I feel about it when it comes to novels I read.

This however brings me to something I've been wondering about. I'm a guy, if it isn't already obvious, and as a guy, I'm fine with Yuri, Harem, and Polygamy tags. I steer clear of lolicon tags since it absolutely disgusts me, but I may reluctantly read it if it's only a loli tag, if only because you can't avoid it, it's everywhere. I can't speak for all guys, but I'm sure some guys have similar "rules" as I do. How is it for those of the opposite sex? I'd think that they they're fine with yaoi, shounen ai, reverse harem and all (or not?), but are they fine with the counterpart? i.e. yuri, shoujo ai, harem? This was something that had been on my mind numerous times, and I want answers.

These are all basically the main "rules" I follow when I look at tags. I'd be interested to see what others look out for in tags, feel free to post them in this thread.

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    fuck the rules
    Rules are meant to be broken
    *Insert others anarchic catchphrases*

follows this template to sow chaos in any discussion

3. Mr.Tiemos

Mr.Tiemos Clifford’s Big Little Cousin, Loves Hugs

Reading List:
    Link
    I notice a distinct lack of any mention for Neto- tags

Skaistise likes this.
  4. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    There's just 1 tag that especially annoy me for Xianxia novels: "Lucky Protagonist"
    Like...what's the "criteria" for the MC to get that tag? I read some Xianxia with that tag, but they weren't that different with any other Xianxia. "Plot Armor" happened so the MC got treasures/skills/etc...same old same old, but some novels have that tag, some novels don't. I still don't understand why most Xianxia novels with a repeatable plot like that didn't have that tag.
    For the rest, just look at what I don't like then I will avoid that novel. Instant drop for me are "Racist", "Nationalism", "Yaoi", "Shounen-ai", "Netorare"

Sabruness and lucjanssens like this.
  5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Basically every novel is trash so I just roll dice and hope for the best

GDLiZy, Fuyuneko, asriu and 4 others like this.
  6. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Skip all CN novels that have Rape since I can guess how it'll turn out.
    Skip all KR novels that have Naive protagonist and misunderstandings(Looking at you The Novels Extra), can't stand that annoying stuff.
    Usually Skip all JP novels.

Astaroth likes this.
  7. Fig pluckers son

Fig pluckers son Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well things like Incest, Fat Bastard, Scat, Vore, and Hypnosis are always good, but that is just my experience on hentai sites. If your novel has that and is not at a cheap smut level it might be interesting.

8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    As for me as long as the novels don't include any of the genres that I don't read then I don't have a problem to check the novel and see if I might like it or not
    I see that you didn't hear or know of those into yuri like the fellow nuffians from yuri garden, or those who are into both :hmm:
    I was about to mention you, because of a somewhat similar previous thread of years and then here you are :blobjoy:

Moonpearl and DocB like this.
  9. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    occasionally the lolicon tag is used instead of loli, and it is used rather easily. Let's say there's a little sister character that gets pampered=>lolicon tag. Despite there being 0 romantic feelings involved
    also, as mr tiemos mentioned. NTR is the devil

10. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    Nationalism or Racism tag: Its true there are many Novels where if there are both tags that often Shit Flies like "they are barbaric People/Race" or "your People are just jealous that we are Smarter and richer.
    Harem tag: That one is interesting, there are Novels that has Harem tag but the Mc doesnt get a Wife/Girlfriend in the Whole Novel or he Chose only 1 to be his Wife. In that case it should have no Harem tag (Harem and Polygamy tag often get mixed) or have another Tag like:"Harem Single Wife tag". And Storys with Harem tag but the MC doesnt take them as Lovers/Wives, does the Novel then even need harem tag? Wouldnt a Tag like "Female companions" be better and not so misleading? Just my thoughts.

11. Lunaleska

Lunaleska Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    I avoide tags i dont like (just like you or anyone else) such as yuri/shojou ai, harem (like the fucking plague (pun)), polygamy, rape, polyandry, miss understandings etc

However, sometimes even if i see a tag i dont like -like rape- i will not instantly dismiss it. I will then look at the synopsis and go to the reviews to see exactly how much that one tag is present in the story.

If its just some evil/side character that is mentioned being raped, fine. But if its a main character, or if the novel goes very in depth about it or it happens often, then its a no from me.
    Same with most other tags. With the exception of harem.
    I used to be fine with harem, but now its an instant and absolute no.

Astaroth and Moonpearl like this.
  12. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    My rules are fairly similar to yours OP but i also avoid netorare and netorase. Netori is fine though.
    polyandry is a big no-no but reverse harem, like in villainess novels, is fine as long as it doesnt get weird, creepy or cross the line into polyandry.

When it comes to rape, my policy is if it's some seriously evil character (or it's something like Road to Kingdom) then i dont care about it. If it's an important character, especially if it's a love interest, then that's a big NOPE.

The only exceptions tend to be like Goblin Slayer's (the character) backstory. i.e backstory or legitimate understandable reasons (like said goblins) is acceptable presence.

Harem without polygamy is subject to individual consideration per novel because i've been burned too many times but harem with good potential but ruined by open ending or limp beta'ing.

13. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I avoid the Seinen/Shounen genres altogether nowadays. Even when I do read it, I stay away from harem (reverse harem is okay). I avoid any rape tag, lolicon, most things tagged "loli", most novels with a "possessive lover" tag where there's a male love interest...

As for yuri and yaoi, I read both. I'm picky about the gender bender I'll read, though.

Helaine likes this.
  14. Scrimivory

Scrimivory Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No I'm unfamiliar with yuri garden. I'm still wondering about this though as I have yet been given a straight answer. I'm pretty sure most guys will avoid yaoi, but are fine with yuri. But will most girls avoid yuri but are fine with yaoi? It has always been a mystery to me.

Yea nationalism and racism tags does not mix well. As for harem, it's why I usually only go for those that have harem tag with polygamy. From what I've read, if there are those two tags, the MC will end up with all harem members. I cannot accept it if its a harem but MC either doesn't choose anyone, or only choose one. Hence the polygamy tag.

I also avoid NTR, but it's such a rare tag unless you go looking for it. Reminds me of one of the novels I read a long time ago; A step into the past. Not sure how I came across that novel, but I love it. But as I read it I begin seeing signs of NTR, so I just NOPED out of there. Doesn't have an NTR tag there for some reason though. This reminds me of another tag that I usually avoid, Tragedy. I don't like reading Tragedy, but the problem with the Tragedy tag is that it might only apply to the beginning of the novel. I'm fine with Tragedy in the beginning, but no more of that for the rest of the novel please, tyvm.

As for rape, it's a tough one. I don't like modern day with rape, but any other setting I'm fine with rape, since it is realistic. Even though modern day rape is also realistic I guess. I dunno, I'm confused now. But seeing rape tag will not stop me from reading the novel. I don't like Evil protagonist though, but again the problem with that tag is that the MC isn't necessarily actually evil. It also depends on the novel itself, so it's hard to judge. I mean Overlord has a MC that is absolutely evil. Perhaps more indifferent then evil, but still, he does some messed up shit. But I still find myself enjoying the novel, and just close one eye whenever he does something fcked up.

And yea, Harem without polygamy raises a flag for me, I'd be ready to drop it as soon as I see signs of what I don't like.

Yes, loli and lolicon are sometimes used interchangeably. I just avoid lolicon all together because it means that MC would actively be looking for lolis and I'm not okay with that. Even if that wasn't the case, I hate lolicon enough that I don't mind missing a few gems cause I dismiss them immediately. As for lolis...I will grudgingly accept a loli figure, even if there are romantic feelings involve, as long as the MC doesn't get together with the said loli only because she is a loli. It's when the MC actively seek out a romantic partner in a loli because they're lolis that it freaks me out.

Speaking of gender bender, I love that tag. It's just such a fascinating tag to me, to see how the MC will handle the situation. I still will avoid the novel completely if it's female to male with yaoi. But I'm fine with male to female, and MC gets together with a guy. Strange isn't it. Reborn as My Love Rival’s Wife is such an example.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  15. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobhighfive: I totally agree with you on pretty much all of that. Tragedy is... tragedy right at the start but things lighten up is fine. Novels that build to tragedy or are just a crapsack procession of tragedy are titanic nopes. Seriously, IMO anyone who willingly seeks out tragedy stuff has to be a closet masochist. Either that or a super-detached sadist who enjoys protags being absolutely shat on by tragedy.

Yeah, rape is more complex than it seems when it comes to fiction. Evil protaganist... yeah, a lot of "evil" protags arent actually evil but usually are just misunderstood which feels like a cop-out. Seriously evil protags are fun partly because they usually just dont give a shot about what other people think or assume. So many "evil" protags have been ruined because the authors feel the need to moralize that 'they're actually just misunderstood' or some other such cop-out. That's not to say that evil protags cant be good to those they care about (Ainz is a decent example), just that they're not really evil if they dont do seriously legit evil things to people they dont care about (or something like that. It's kinda hard to explain exactly). After all, sometimes you just want to watch the world burn. It's like a deep part of human nature.

Probably the only blanket exception to harem without polygamy that i make is when it's a super fluffy, diabeetus inducing yuri harem.

I agree with you completely on the lolicon thing. While i've on occasion felt that a loli character is adorable, that's only in a paternal sense because sometimes kids can just be adorable. The whole being attracted to lolis because they're lolis is just :blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood::blobpoliceangry:.
    As to the topic of romantic feelings for lolis outside of the above... :hmm: I think if they honestly wait til the loli has grown up and is of proper decent age and development, i can accept that.

Gender bender? Ahh, such a complex topic. Like you, i avoid F>M when it's yaoi. I dont think i've yet seen F>M GB where the character ends up with a girl. I could be fine with that though because mental yuri :blob_pompom:

Male to female for yuri is great. If you're fine with that as well, i recommend this series on scribblehub: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/40636/falling-over/ It's quite the unique story so far.

M>F and gets together with a guy... :hmm: I think i started read Love Rival's Wife a long while ago then put it aside as it was early in the TL. Honestly, i dont know how i felt about it. I didnt hate it (despite technical mental yaoi) but i didnt "like" it per se. Perhaps indifference would be the best word.

16. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I just read what I feel like reading.

I don't actively look for the tags when searching for something to read, I rely more on recommendations, summary and reviews.

Astaroth likes this.
  17. Scrimivory

Scrimivory Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that you mention it, I'm fine with yuri harem too without polygamy. Can there even be polygamy with yuri harem? As for the loli thing, we're on the same page. Of course I'd want the MC to wait till the loli character has grown up and is of proper age and development, but lets be realistic here. It will be a loli that is a 1000 year old dragon/vampire/elf that will not develop anymore, so I just don't have a choice but to grudgingly accept it. Key point here is that the MC must not be a lolicon. Damn authors using that trope just to add "legal" lolis. It's when the MC go for these lolis just because they're lolis and starts praising them to the skies that it gets unbearable.

I'm fine with male to female yuri too. As for the recommendation, I'll check it out. This brought up another thing I'd want to talk about, but I'll leave that as another topic for a discussion thread eventually.

And yea male to female and gets together with a guy I'm totally fine with. Even if it's technically mental yaoi, but like, novels such as Love Rival's Wife did such a good job of transitioning the male character mindset to a female character mindset imo that I don't really see the yaoi.

Oh if that works for you I guess. For me tags gives me an idea of what to expect in the novel. Honestly, just with the tags and synopsis (assuming it has a proper synopsis and not some vague nonsense that doesn't really explain anything) you'd be able to have a pretty good idea of what the novel will be like. At least for the most part, there are exceptions of course.

Sabruness likes this.
  18. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I open a novel page, the first thing I see is the cover art - which I just glance at because it’s mostly irrelevant and probably stolen from something else. The second thing I see is the synopsis - which I generally don’t bother to even read these days because they never say anything useful.

The third thing I see is the release list. This is the first truly important part of the page — If the chapter count is below 50, I basically give up right there. There’s just no point in reading only the very beginning of a novel.

The fourth, and final, thing I see is the reviews.

Wait!, you say. What about everything in-between?? The genres, the tags, the ratings!? Well, I kind of just.. don’t even see those things. I can’t even say I glance at them, or skim over them, because I don’t. I don’t see them at all. I don’t care about that noise. A good novel is a good novel, as much as anything around here is good, and the rest is details.

Astaroth likes this.
  19. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only have tags I don't want. This includes

- Harem
    - Nationalism
    - Polygamy
    - Rape
    - Loli
    - Gore

Other than that I'd read pretty much anything. But tags aren't always accurate so sometimes I'll end up reading a novel with some elements in them due to either reader not being up to date with raws or the tag not being added.

20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    I rarely see tags unless if I searching for hentai

on NU the only tag I ever care is "cute story" cuz I create it for specific purpose, my collection of fluffy story or other cat which think some novel is deserve to be called as cute one
    as for other thing I don't care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.