Discussion When you search a novel to read do you......?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Hegao, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you just focus on a theme or theme based around some genre without caring on plot or its both. I'm the type of person who focus on specific genre or theme on novel without caring if plot is good or bad (sometimes i care about plot). Like im reading invincible conqueror solely for its op theme which is fun.

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Tags+categories+summary(synopsis)+prologue(if exisit)+chapter1
    Based on those, I build a general somewhat vague idea about the novel and the plot then decide whether to continue reading the novel or not

Moy, Fulminata and Djoty like this.
  3. zajrus

zajrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually I have an idea about what I want to read so I search tags that could relate that kind of story and when the tags are fine the last check is the short description with technical details like that is there enough chapters, if it's still ongoing there are new chapters translated in recent days ect... then I go and read something completely different from my bookmark list XD

Moy likes this.
  4. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    that might be a good way
    i personaly gather a group of adult virgins and sacrifice them to OUR GREAT LORD IMMOTHEP and their blood consolidates in the title of the next novel i shall read
    this in my opnion is the superior way

Fulminata likes this.
  5. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    The first thing I make sure of is that I have enough motivation. Not to finish the novel but to finish my other work first.

Seriously speaking, though, I think that my number one goal for a novel is having a sufficient amount of plot development that can feasibly be built on to begin with. The question is: Is this a novel that will wring the life out of a single cliche over and over, or will it still have plot development behind the scenes?

6. TheF00rgotenMel0n

TheF00rgotenMel0n Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sad to say, that I as a normal person don't do any of this witchcraft.I just go to the main page and click on random titles that look interesting.

WAJOW likes this.
  7. Diukes

Diukes The Details will be omitted

Reading List:
    Link
    i just filter out CN novels and look for anything new

8. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    well me its just need to be not yaoi or yuri, isnt in eroge and must have a male mc or an awesome/strong male 2nd mc... regarding with romance focused i just go with it

9. XXXXX

XXXXX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i often look at people looking for novel posts, and see if stuff seems interesting, after all if they wan't to remember it, then it must be worth looking at right?
    i also look at a list of the most popular novels this month or something... (like trending on royalroad or series ranking on scribblehub, also on webnovel but only really looking at genres there as the top 100 are pretty much locked in)

then read synopsis and if it seems interesting... read a couple of chapters and if i like the style then just keep reading...

10. CRY_

CRY_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I look for specific tags since I have a general idea of what kind of novel I want to read. After choosing that specific tag, I sort by Ranking and choose Completed story status.

I read through the summary cause even though some have good rating, it might not be something that would personally interest me.

Then after I find all the completed stories that interest me, I might go back and sort it by on-going status just to see if I want to put a novel into my "To Read" list for the future.

11. Silvarion

Silvarion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't search novels anymore. I only look at the recent release, and if there's anything I don't recognize, I check it's tags, synopsis, and the reviews to see if it's interesting or not. btw, I don't like yaoi, shounen ai, and evil mc. also, yuri is also kinda no. feels like yuri JP novels has bad quality, unlike something like binary soul or lily ex machina. also, I also don't like traumatizing content.
    so, I mainly dislike evil mc. other than that, I'll try it if the story seems interesting.

btw, I don't read CN novels.

Astaroth likes this.
  12. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I generally am more willing to try the novels and I'm also usually more patient if I see tags/genre/setting/etc. that I generally like.

So while in the end I won't read something that doesn't entertain me, I'm still biased and give more leeway for the kinds of novels that fit my preferences.

13. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do look for certain types of novels most of the time. Which kind I’m looking for depends on my mood or whims... often, when I just finish a novel, or catch up on it, I’ll go looking for something similar. Sometimes you just want more of the same.

But I also just keep an eye out for anything that looks interesting, seems popular, gets recommended a lot - or passionately. A fair few novels I’ve read just because someone gave them a glowing recommendation in an I’m Looking For thread.

14. livorino

livorino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just press Random Novel.

15. Izrail

Izrail Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mostly with novel that had 100 or more chapter

16. Skaistise

Skaistise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I would take novel from recommendation, or with specific genre and tags... then I would read the synopsis and review, look at the release frequency and status. If I was intrigued but the novel was dropped by the translator, I would add it to my second list.. hoping some translator would pick it up..

17. xvxoxnx

xvxoxnx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i try to read novels with raws of more than 400+ chapters.., unless its a new novel that looks interesting
    i also try not to read novels that have too much of the same plot as others novels i've read before

18. Maelstrom08

Maelstrom08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In order of importance:
    Release Frequency>Themes/Genres>MC>Plot>Length

19. Naruin

Naruin [Dada's New Employee][ex-NAH owner]

Reading List:
    Link
    I focus on both... they both have to make me interested...:blobpeek:
    and well.. i tab and tab lots of interesting ones then choose the novel that peaks me the most.. :blobsweat_2:

Maelstrom08 likes this.
  20. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time I don't. It's the general concept of the novel that I get from the summary or title that makes me start reading something new. Sometimes I really wanna read a specific genre or a novel with a certain element to it, but most of the time I don't care about how the plot goes...I just read whatever catches my eye on the surface level, but I usually end up wanting some sort of plot as I'm reading it or if it has a good plot, that is usually what I end up liking about the novel the most even though it wasn't what I came here for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.