Discussion Any new kingdom building novels lately?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by HighlyRounded, Jul 31, 2019.

1. HighlyRounded

HighlyRounded Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Release that Witch, tales of a reincarnated lord, how a realist rebuilt the kingdom, slime, sevens, i am the monarch, etc.
    I've pretty much read all of the og kingdom building novels, and I am in dire need of a new one. It's been soo long since the last TRL chapter, and release that witch has gone to shit.
    Anybody know any new novels?

2. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    On NU I don't know of any others of at least decent quality. There's Black Iron's Glory from the same author as TRL but it's not really kingdom building. On RR there were two interesting ones, Rise of the Lord and The Eagle's Flight, the first isn't updated anymore and the second strays more from kingdom building. As for Western fantasy, it's very niche there as well. Haven't read one yet.

There probably won't ever be a TRL chapter again, by the way.

Jojo775 and HighlyRounded like this.
  3. Kurobito

Kurobito 『Roommate Destroyer』『黒の大名』

Reading List:
    Link
    HighlyRounded likes this.
  4. Blankdom

Blankdom Unknown

Reading List:
    Link
    From what the manga has shown me, along with it's review, this novel seems to be just BS pedestal/spotlighting with a hint of wish fulfillment; and the poster would enjoy something like Iron Teeth and/or Chronicle of a Dungeon Core more than it, even with how there is barely any 'kingdom building' involved.

Anyways, there aren't any really good kingdom building novels, imo, out there yet, but some that have some aspects of it, that I'm reading are:
    Shovels in Spades -- Not really kingdom building, cuz it's more using 'city builder' gaming aspects.
    The Other Side of the Bed -- Again, not true kingdom building, but the MC helps solve some problems of the kingdom he finds himself in. (Note: It's only started to 'take off' recently.)
    The Outer Sphere -- The MC tried to build a kingdom, well more of a criminal empire, but stuff happened.

HighlyRounded likes this.
  5. HighlyRounded

HighlyRounded Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, I already knew that was the case. Also, I've already read Rise of the Lord, but I'll check out Eagle's Flight.

6. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Ditto for Black Iron's Glory, I think there will be kingdom building same as in Tales of the Reincarnated Lord, it just takes time.
    Though I haven't read last 100 chaps or so...
    I agree RTW has gone to shit, well it always had boring arcs such as the church or with some of the boring witches.
    There's A Hero's War, it's decent but updates are slow so once I caught up I lost interest.
    A lot of fanfics on my list are kingdom building https://www.fanfiction.net/u/9071421/

7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a few good ones not too long ago. Sadly, they're mostly not translated so you'd have to learn Chinese first.

8. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sengoku Komachi, it is a farm building in Japan's warring period novel. It's a unique perspective in the kingdom building genre as heroine focus greatly on agriculture with some side trips into economics and medicine with the help of her smartphone with a encyclopedia conveniently stored there. As it focuses more on agriculture during a time when famine was a possibility and food production ties into military strength this novel really hammers the point of agricultural power, other novels tend to add one or two innovations but then drifts off to other industries or towards world intrigues.

Safe hold series by David Weber has kingdom building with technology advancement being a constant background reminder for the army and naval battles.

9. Deleted member 152220

Deleted member 152220 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi~
    In those, which one do you prefer ?

10. AcasualPawn__

AcasualPawn__ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name please?
    I will Google translate them.
    Thanks

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, here's a list. These are all historical novels:

大争之世 - Spring and Autumn China
    步步生莲 - Song Dynasty China
    夜天子 - Ming Dynasty Guizhou
    穷鬼的上下两千年 - Warring States China. This book is currently being translated as For a Prosperous World.
    德意志雇佣兵之王 - ~1500 AD Holy Roman Empire.

The first four are a lot better than the last one, but that last book has a unique setting that I've never seen tackled before (in any language). The first three are all written by Yue Guan and he's basically the king of the historical novel. I don't know if I'd recommend Google translate because he uses an awful lot of historical terms and old style Chinese that I can't imagine the experience would be very good.

asriu and Passerby Soysauce-sama like this.
  12. Lacking Motivation

Lacking Motivation Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if you've read it or not, but "City of Sin" in wuxiaworld is a pretty good novel. I don't know if it can be considered kingdom building per say, but it does have that (and more) within it.