Great Novels that aren't being translated and probably never will be.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by anon1guy, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anon1guy

anon1guy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Legend of the Cultivation God
    2. Great Dao Commander
    3. Heaven's Shadow
    4. Eternal Life
    5. Legend of the Great Saint
    6. Tempered Immortal
    7. Everlasting Immortal Firmament
    8. Plundering the Heavens

At the very least Swallowing the Heavens is being translated that was a good move though I suspect with the hole new "Liscencing" era that we are in it might be the last for a while.
    I would normally rant about how frustrating it is that the best novels are not being translated but than again bad translations are actually worse than no translations at all. So it could definetly be worse.

GDLiZy, Pell, checkm8 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Pell

Pell Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of the Great Saint is really good. I wonder why qidian is not translating this.

3. Mazino

Mazino The final chapter.

Reading List:
    Link
    I can find a reason for three of these,
    Legend of the great saint: the author has eternal writers block so this story might forever remain unfinished.
    Everlasting immmortal: 17k so no liscense problem there has just never been a good TL for it.
    Legend of the cultivation god: um it kinda sucks.

4. anon1guy

Reading List:
    Link
    They don't translate any of their good novels instead opting for the most mediocre shit I heard that they let an algorythm choose for them.

5. anon1guy

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of the cultivation God might be slow but if you pull through it it becomes really aweseme like a western fantasy novel of depth but with xianxia.

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    These are your choices? I don't read xianxia but they sound like the same kind of story found in tons of other ones.

The ones that properly get neglected are the books in genres that aren't popular enough to garner much readership or which are a pain in the ass to translate. The worst off are the ones that combine both these traits. As a corollary, the better the writer the harder it is for a translation to do justice to his work and that will thereby decrease the chance of someone giving it a shot.

7. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    If theres no translator or even mtl user that will pick up then theres no point.

Only thing possible is to hire one. Or luckily have the novel licensed and printed to english.

8. anon1guy

Reading List:
    Link
    They aren't. These are like real novels.

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But they sound like just any old xianxia novel. And it's not as if nobody has ever tried to translate them. Real novels would be stuff like 康熙大帝.

10. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahahaha, we're back at it again with the, "I like it, so it's great."

Wait a second... If I need the translation to read it, how do I...

Most importantly, don't forget them links in this one's signature, ladies, gents and everyone else I might've missed.

Westeller, firefox1234 and Wujigege like this.
  11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you can always make a novel pick up request and hope for the best?

Never heard of any of those, but they don't seem like stuff I would bother with even looking at the cover to be perfectly honest (mainly because I hate xianxia and they look like xianxia), so I guess I don't care that much for them.

12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, sadly very true.
    If the 100 or so people who make sure threads start a Patreon or kickstarter to raise funds to hire a translator.
    Translating such novels won't be impossible.
    I have read some of the novels mentioned given the length, most novels become crap after 200 chapters since it becomes so repetitive.
    It is no surprise that many mentioned novels are dropped before 20% is translated

13. fanwithlight

fanwithlight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Your choices contain many good novels.
    I think the problem is that they're hard to translate, but picky on readers. The translator (and QI) may feel it's not worth the efforts.
    I only read a bit of others, but I have read Eternal Life to its end. Want some spoilers?

Wujigege likes this.
  14. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Add Trafford's Trading Club, Immortal and A Sorcerer's Journey into that list.

Maybe The Grandmaster Strategist.

15. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grandmaster Strategist translation resumed a few months ago over at WW and was last updated 2 days ago :)

Alone Hades likes this.
  16. pigsticker

pigsticker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grandmaster strategist is good.

17. SweetShireen

SweetShireen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Plundering the Heavens was so good and fun, always made me smile, and fucking Qidian shut it down just bc they didnt like that the translators had a somewhat slow speed. Its not like they got anyone else to translate it after they kicked the TL out!

18. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    PtH was excellent, and the TL Team put out a very good translation. Very few errors, and made corrections whenever an error was reported. Alas, Webnovel had to run them off.

Even better, the novel went premium after Webnovel ran off the TL team. I feel for anyone who starts reading without knowing that the novel translation was dropped and ends up getting screwed over as they pay for chapters to a novel that isn't being translated anymore. Even though after the last chapter it states "New chapter is coming soon"

Alone Hades likes this.
  19. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if its a popular qidian novel, its going to get translated sooner or later unless WN closes down.

all the popular novels on qidian will be appearing in the "what's next" section. even daddy's fantasy world restaurant got there when it's not that popular on the "ranking list" so yea.

oh we also have that trash novel thats called the prodigious son or whatever.

that said, xianxia seems to be the first choice, then it's system novels.

strangely enough, some of the tech/rebirth novels that are stupidly popular on qi such as rebirth in a perfect era doesn't seem to be wanted by WN.

then entertainment/rebirth also aren't picked as "i really didn't want to be famous" is one of the most popular rebirth/entertainment novel on qidian right now and have a very strong following
    if anyone wants a good entertainment star novel, you can try reading this as it's really, really good. theres not much face slapping compared to "i really am a superstar" tho

Wujigege likes this.
  20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I think their analytics for English readers also play a part. Sadly, it's just a self fulfilling prophecy.
    They have poured the most resources into xianxia novels and it was amongst their first too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.