Recommendations Here’s my taste: which novel is like this?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Kamuizin, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi ppl, this is my first thread and the reason i make this account on forum. I mostly read novels in wuxiaworld, maybe i’m just being sloth, but the interface there is kinda of friendly.

First of all i need to speak of my basic expectations, i believe. First of all i’m after xianxia or xianhuan recommendations. Wuxia isn’t my focus, but any kingdom like story (i mean the manga not kingdom style stories) with more than 1000 chapters is welcome.

Regarding MC i like either smart quick witted or zealous characters (someone with a goal that don’t deviate from it as the story goes, unless well justified).

About side characters i like things in depth, not that everyone has to get a complete story, i’m not searching a game of thrones in xianxia / xianhuan.

The cultivation system can be either complex or simple, despite find those lvl 1, 2, 3... a bit unrealistic, it isn’t something that bothers me. A more complex cultivation will be a plus.

Harem - i have nothing against or in favor of it, but harem in novels most of the time result in too many one dimensional characters and that’s a negative point for me. If the author can manage the in depth of all these main second characters, bring it on.

I read a good amount of novels (i think) and now it’s hard to find something new (and gold), so lemme display some of what i read and what I through of these novels, and based on that and/or on my resume above of what i expect, i humbly request some recommendations:

Tales of Demons and Gods - first novel i read and even today i still like it. It’s not a notable job but nostalgia speak louder i think, cos this novel is the opposite of what i search, i think. The main negative point there is the 1 chapter per month that made (and everyone else probally) drop it.

Coiling Dragon - this novel i like a LOT, it has a very simple cultivation mechanic, but i found the story very enjoinable. MC kept a very coherent behavior most of the story (apart of killing a maiden in the early chapters for a mistake in her behavior, even when she did that in good will) and coherence for me is the thing that matter mostly.

I shal seal the heavens - it’s a good story, that’s undeniable, but despite being one of the best works around, it didn’t catch my interest as it should.

A Will Eternal - i have to read the final chapters yet, but despite not being my kind of novel, as i normally dislike too much comedy, i have to say that the story is so good and the jokes so well done, that i loved the contend.

Charm of soul pets - i’m up to the actual translated chapters, nothing special about it, xianxia pokemon i think, but enjoiable nonetheless. Negative points to behavior inconsistency of MC and specially too fast pace story that’s not my thing (prision island should be an entire arc to develp MC personality and after 5 chapters... it ended, 3 years gone and it’s contend became plot armor rememberance for MC)

Martial world - probally the best... example of a xianxia novel, not best novel. It’s good, MC extremly focused, but a bit boring, still i enjoyed the novel.

True Martial World - good begin, nice development, but after MC leaves his dimension in the late chapters the story got too much fast paced. Terrible end, the author probally wished to drop the novel for some reason, so kinda of 100 chapters resumed to 10, and more potential content sumply was given up.

Desolate Era - here’s one of the novels that i like the most, despite second characters being too much one dimensional.

Warlock of the magus word - liked a lot this novel, but last arc was a bit messed up. Author knowledge about forgotten realms was pretty good in his copyright infringement (i doubt he got authorization to use FR contend), one or two mistakes on the contend (Grumish and Talos are the same God), bur the story itself got a bit crazy and unrealistic, unlike the previous arcs.

A Record of a Mortal Journey Throug Immortality - This novel! This is the novel! From MC to other characters and the world around, from jianghu to the cultivation world, i can’t point a single instance in this novel that don’t pleases me apart the slow translation (1 chapter a day).

About novels that i hated in overall:

emperor’s domination (whoever wrote that novel either is delusional or have a self esteem problem)

sovereign of three realms (the novel is good, but MC forgiving every ppl that fucks him is a bot annoying, specially when ppl torture his family, he clearly is worried at the begin for them and later is just, ok... whatever.

Against the Gods - an awesome environment and some likeable side characters wasted by the worst MC ever.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Jojo775 likes this.
  2. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Unstable0777

Unstable0777 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend Insanity might be to ur liking. The MC is a lot like WMW MC ( cold hearted and smart and wise ) . No romance , though the MCs character stays consistent and the pace is more on the slow side and it also has a lot in common with A Record of a Mortals Journey to Immortality in case of side characters and the world at large.
    A different take would make me recommend Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich , well defined cultivation great fleshed out characters and consistent MC the only difference btw this and the aforementioned ones is the comedy in the novel
    When A Mage Revolts is also nice though it doesn't have much in cultivation as no set rules exists that r specifically mentioned . But otherwise a great novel if only the last chapter was better done .
    Night Ranger is also a good choice. Won't say much about it , it's good not great good .
    U could try Supervillain but I honestly can't tell how u would feel about it.
    How to Avoid Death on a Daily Basis is one of my favourites . Good comedy and the authors take on some issues that bleed out through the narrative of the MC r quite fascinating.
    FeralHeart MIGHT be to ur liking , I honestly can't say . BUT it's one of the few novels that did harem RIGHT.
    The Godking's Legacy for good comedy and shots on wuxia/xianxia/xuanhuan novels . It's nice u should check it out
    Well that's all I can think of at the moment. Hope u find what u r looking for

5. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thx for the indepth answer dude, Reverend Insanity is in my must read list, and thar lich novel appears to be good to, justo to early to start (few translated chapters).

7. nikomaru

nikomaru 「Will of the Newtype」「NullPointerException」

Reading List:
    Link
    重生晚点没事吧
    reincarnated into a grandfather in a parallel earth (Zhang Ye)
    earth aura recovery
    showbiz

8. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich might have only about 600 chaps but it's already completed in the original language and only has 830 something chaps so the story has progressed a lot . I would start reading it or put in the docket .

9. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Check out Tales of Herding Gods.
    Mysteries are unrivaled after each arc.
    Mc grows throughout the story from kid to adult. He is charismatic, a person that doesnt abandon his morals.

First book is free on Webnovel and rest you can find on pirate site.
    The story is great and I mean it.

There is also humor and hair raising fights.
    First chapter made the trick for me.
    Make sure to read until the end of first volume to make a decision.

This novel is thought out for hundreds of chapters. Consistent quality and many surprises.

10. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    You have good taste young 'un. This is my old list, there is a complication so I can't link it.

Series (40) My Status Latest Release
    A Step into the Past epilogue epilogue
    Absolute Choice c461 part1 (d) (Deleted) c128
    [​IMG]
    Against the Gods c1398 c1458

Arena c67 c181

Black Iron’s Glory c119 c257

Chronicles of Primordial Wars c134 c313

Coiling Dragon rwx's afterword rwx's afterword
    Cultivation Chat Group c121 c158

Dimensional Sovereign c144 c40

Everyone Else is a Returnee c101 afterword

Fantasy Falls c70 c70
    Imperial God Emperor c249 c1096

Infinity Armament v3c10 v5c40

Lord Xue Ying c394 v10c27

Martial World epilogue 2 (end) epilogue 2 (end)
    Master Hunter K c137 c186 & epilogue

Monarch of Evernight v5c60 c700

NEET Receives a Dating Sim Game Leveling System c127 c127
    Otherworldly Evil Monarch c223 c231

Realms In The Firmament c255 c54

Release that Witch c378 c384

Seoul Station’s Necromancer c155 c208 (end)

Shoujo Grand Summoning c34 c381

Shrouding the Heavens c150 c190

Skyfire Avenue c10 c901+ epilogue (end)

Star Rank Hunter c4 c281 part2

Stellar Transformation v18c45 part3 v18c45 part3
    Tales of Demons and Gods c477 c479

Tales of the Reincarnated Lord c590 (end) c590 (end)
    The Desolate Era afterword afterword
    The Godsfall Chronicles v1c43 v5c22

The Grandmaster Strategist v1c1 v6c16

The Human Emperor c158 c1055

The King of the Battlefield c102 c221-222

The Nine Cauldrons c498 c508

Throne of Magical Arcana c252 c83

Tower of Karma c1 c1

Transcending the Nine Heavens c294 c317

True Martial World c1495 c129

World of Cultivation c652 c915 (end)

I'm now reading fanfics and they're mostly better than the best stuff here on NU https://www.fanfiction.net/u/9071421/ my ff list