Update on Martial Arts Master

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by mm38910, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was browsing today and saw this thread. This is coming from Cktalon, apparently the translators have been working on it for the past six months. They are even near finishing, 61 chaps from finishing. So rejoice, maybe.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

LordCorwin likes this.
  2. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it that novel from Cuttlefish? That one with a school setting? I really like Lord of the Mysteries and Throne of Magical Arcana but I can't stand Martial Arts Master. The writing style seems a lot different too.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. I like all three though. I read this first and didn't even realize even after reading half of Lord of the Mysteries, that both are by the same author.

TianKrea and ongoingwhy like this.
  4. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhh! I hope I get to read it.
    Are you gonna update this thread if you learn anything new?

5. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh... thx god i give up continuing reading MTL (only read 2 MTL chapters). Really hope they finish fast.

6. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay, MAM! :blobparty:

Oh, I think MAM is easily the best out of the three. It's much more cohesive, focuses on character interaction and is all the better for it. It's different though, not only to his other novels but also to most novels on this site in general.

7. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    ...you mean it's a romance novel. It's only "better" because you like reading romance novels. Don't forget that Lord of the Mysteries is far more popular than Martial Arts Master.

8. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you just assume you know my thought process? Incorrectly? What a cheap way to dismiss any point I make.

As for popularity, there's a stark difference between how well MAM did in the home market and here. Also, since when is popularity a measure of quality? Go look at the list of most popular novels on NU, there's some real "quality" in there.

Romance is a large aspect in MAM, but not the only one. 40% romance, 40% martial arts sports, 20% other interactions, something like that IIRC.

I'll give you exaggerated opinions on Lord and Throne. Throne is too ambitious and becomes a mess because of it later on. Lord is fun so far: the world, the tarot club, the abilities, the mystery, ... but characterization is not its strong point. It has fun characters for sure, but that's due to the worldbuilding and its possibilities, not due to character development. That limits its depth. In that sense it's a bit like e.g. Reverend Insanity, as opposed to e.g. Joy of Life.

LordCorwin and Wujigege like this.
  9. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Not at all, I'm just stating a fact. You think MAM is better because you like "character interaction". Besides, I like the "character interactions" in Lord of the Mysteries.

You're right but it's pretty useful when we're comparing works from the same author since readers on Qidian tend to prefer following authors that they know. If MAM is truly better, why would Cuttlefish's readers prefer Lord of the Mysteries?

Throne of Magical Arcana has more problems than that. The ending was rather abrupt. The plot was going nowhere after a certain point. Certain chapters were just info dumps. It's been a while since I read it but these points still stuck in my head.

10. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a little confused since I see only about 450 odd chapters available on webnovel.com. Is that not where the novel is translated? Also Throne of Magical Arcana hasn’t had an update for a while too. So how come these novels are close to completion?

Edite: never mind, reread the original post i.e. read he included picture.

11. WinByDying

Reading List:
    Link
    You're not going to weasel your way out of that strawman. You think you know how I think and judge! That's about the most stupid argument to make in literally any discussion.

I don't think MAM is better because of the romance, but because:
    1. It is character-driven and has character development Lord shows no signs off. Lord essentially uses its setting to make the characters and interactions interesting, but is lacking in actual depth just like Throne. If the setting and approach appeal to you then it's all fun and games. If it doesn't, then Lord has nothing to offer. If you think the setting is great just like I do, good for you. But I still think MAM is better written because it doesn't have a crutch.
    2. It is cohesive, has a nicely sized cast of developed characters, has a clear direction, et cetera. This cohesiveness is something almost all novels on NU lack.
    The setting is a crutch in the sense that everything rests on it. The characters? Interesting due to the setting. Interactions? Also lean on the setting. It doesn't come from development over time or meaningful interactions. It's fun, but not deep.
    Why do people not prefer MAM? Well, for one, in China it's a popular novel. Two, people go into MAM with incorrect expectations, its translation was handled poorly by QI. Three, it's just different. Different from Cuttlefish's other novels and different from what you usually get on NU. Lastly, quality is not a popularity contest. It has never been.

It's not better because I "like reading romance" or "only because of romance". It's better in my eyes because I think it has clear edges over Lord, on aspects I think take more effort to write and are more interesting for a novel in the long term.

LordCorwin likes this.
  12. Eers

Eers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just in case no one else realised they’ve started updating martial arts master again as of last week

mm38910 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.