Question Greatest Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Mr.Tiemos, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Mr.Tiemos

Mr.Tiemos Clifford’s Big Little Cousin, Loves Hugs

Reading List:
    Link
    Who is the greatest Mary Sue (in a novel, manga, anime, etc)? If possible, include where they’re from.

The greatest Mary Sue I know of is Akane from Jashin wo Kutta Shoujo wa Isekai wo Kyuusaishimasu
    Akane is such a Mary Sue that it’s contagious, with the more recent chapters turning her best friend and the guy who has a crush on her into powerhouses even though she’s not directly helping them atm.

2. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Every low effort isekai manga protagonist ever

TakenAway, yserieh, Liola and 7 others like this.
  3. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it's Cain from DC Comic. Haha he is protected by the presence, who is one of the strongest character in DC.

4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Avoid the Death Route! ‘s MC is pretty adorable. Too bad the novel’s never updated.

Yuusha Yori Saikyouna Kuro Kishi‘s MC is super badass. Too bad the novel’s on hiatus.

And of course, Destruction Flag Otome’s Bakarina is such an impressive black hole. Too bad the translation was never completed.

5. Bias

Bias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you ask me , I will say Mary Poppin.

Blitz, Chronos Bee, Capsize and 3 others like this.
  6. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way or Enoby from My Immortal. It's a fanfiction, but Mary Sue's are about a time a dozen. It takes something special for there to be a list, and enoby iz speshul ok. mCR ROX

FaNgZ by xD

7. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What about Mary Sue from Youjo Senki?
    I mean, she is actually the main antagonist of the series but she definitely is a Mary Sue in how everything just goes her way and she miraculously gains the power to compete with a battle maniac and honed genius like the MC Tanya.

8. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Mary Sues don’t exist.

Wujigege likes this.
  9. Capsize

Capsize Would you like to be isekai’d? ψ(`∇´)ψ

Reading List:
    Link
    Bella Swan(Twilight) and Rey(Star Wars). :blobpeek:

Delirious likes this.
  10. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
  11. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's not Rey from Star Wars, then it's that White Cat that Swore Vengeance. The fact that they even exist in high production media makes me worry for the human race.

12. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree but let me explain why I think that,
    1 a mary sue power is never explained, Being X gave Tanya the power so she would suffer because in that world if you magic is high you become a weapon of the country which forced her to go to war even if she didn't want to.
    2 A mary sue never does anything wrong and if she does it makes what ever situation they are in better. this never happens with tanya remember when she first saw combat and she exploded herself to get a back-line position but got her testing the prototype and how it almost killed her, then every time she showed how smart she was to get promoted to a back-line position it got her into more and more dangerous fights.
    3 everyone just automatically like/falls in love with a mary sue, HAHAHA I don't think I need to say this but this never happens most people distrust her at first and after that either think she's a genus or a monster
    please note the author actually made a mary sue character that got rewrite when it got made into a light novel https://youjo-senki.fandom.com/wiki/Mary_Sue
    please read this for more information on mary sues https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
    Edit* A mary sue has no flaws or one that doesn't matter like being told that they are to nice and then it never comes up again but with tanya her personality is flawed and she's arrogant that's what got her into the world to begin with.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    TamaSaga likes this.
  13. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    ...what?
    I'm not talking about Tanya you idiot. I'm talking about MARY SUE!!
    The MAIN ANTAGONIST of the series. The all around good girl that has been blessed by multiple gods to take down the dangerous Empire that is threatening to take over the world and the only person who can fight toe-to-toe with the Devil of the Rhine.
    Her name is Mary Sue and she definitely fucking is one. Tanya is the anti-hero of this story, you know? She's like Light Yagami from Death Note or Lelouch from Code Geass if you might. And Mary Sue from Youjo Senki is close to Suzaku from Code Geass who is basically a shounen manga protagonist manifest even though he is NOT the protagonist.

Lurker of the dark and joey183 like this.
  14. GrimVeilRule

Reading List:
    Link
    O I'm so sorry I'm reading on my cellphone and it's hard for me sometimes I just assumed it was tanya because most people I see talking about her say she the Antagonist.

15. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    She is the anti-hero...not the antagonist. Protagonist means the main character who the story follows, and antagonist means the person who is the bane of that protagonist, it doesn't talk about their moral values.

Wujigege likes this.
  16. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    The MC in Isekai de Kojiin wo Hiraitakedo, Nazeka Darehitori Sudatou to Shinai Ken (WN) defnitely fits the Mary Sue label. So much so, that I debate whether I should drop the novel whenever he goes monologuing on one of his "enlightening the poor, ignorant fools" spiels. From the way the dialogs are translated, the MC is a selfless OP saint whom is harrassed by all of his egoistic, narcissistic, and greedy former classmates. I will clarify that this impression may be the fault of the translator's phrasing and word choice, as the manga does not give the same impression of the MC at all(although, it could also be that the manga is supposed to be a remake of the WN, which is on hiatus)

Compare the MC's impressions in the WN vs the Manga
    The WN gives the impression of "Oh, pity me! I was bullied by my classmates, but I'm the nicest person alive! Since I'm OP, I must save all the orphans and enlighten all the stupid fools who oppose me to my great strength and humility!

The Manga gives a more stoic impression of the MC, like Hiiro Okamura from Golden Word Master, but with less rude/sarcastic behavior.

17. Mr.Tiemos

Reading List:
    Link
    Mary Sue is female, Gary Stu is male

TamaSaga and xalienxgamerx like this.
  18. Mr.Tiemos

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite honestly I made this thread because I got pissed off at how many half assed Mary Sue and Gary Stu characters there are in Japanese Novels.
    Because all Gary Stu MCs are apparently either beta, pseudo-rapists, or emo-loners (all of which mess up or are overpowered by the antagonist at one point or another which defeats the purpose of being a Gary Stu). Then the Mary Sue MCs are airheads, yandere/obsessively possessive, or tsundere (to the point that I’d do practically anything to get the hell away from them).
    What I’m saying is: I’ve got hit by stereotypes and can’t help but hate them atm

19. GrimVeilRule

Reading List:
    Link
    I know the difference but I've seen quite a few people call her the antagonist I assume you were doing the same thing

moving on from that I don't know if mary sue counts as a mary sue. I did mention it earlier but to elaborate she loses to Tanya which I believe is automatically not a mary sue because a mary sue would never lose and if she does it makes whatever situation she's in better.
    she's obsessed with revenge and that's a bad flaw a mary sue flaw should be superficial
    her power is explained as being x giving her the power to fight tanya so there is a reason not a great reason but far better the most mary sues cough Ray from star wars cough.

TamaSaga likes this.
  20. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the Empire loses so she does technically win. I haven't read that far yet since I'm following the manga only, and it does state that the Empire lost in the chapters about those two reporters from way later after the war. And I've also read some spoilers from tvtropes so I know a bit more too but not everything. Revenge is the driving force for most action novels and whatnot, like every xianxia novel, her reason for doing it still makes it seem like she's the good guy here, revenge for her dead father and saving the world from the Empire. And its exactly Being X giving her powers that makes her a Mary Sue, how everything just landed in front of her doorsteps unlike for Tanya where everything tries to push her down, even her gifts, everything takes her further away from her ideals. And I don't know if she loses or not, but Mary Sues giving their life at the end in an act of heroism (don't know if she dies either) is a common troupe don't you think? As long as they stop the Empire I think her story follows a very generic Mary Sue plot.

Wujigege likes this.