Question Greatest Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Mr.Tiemos, Aug 2, 2019.

1. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    I've not read that far I know she lose in one of the fights that when she learns that tanya killed her father and she gets obsessed with revenge. I remember one of her allies commenting on it.I don't know if this is true but I heard later in the light novel she messes up and gets someone killed. I don't know about later but assumed tanya's side was going to lose so unless she single handedly stops the empire I don't know if I'd call her a mary sue. But Idk it's hard for me to call a antagonist a mary sue because they need to at least for a little while rival the mc. I'm going to reread the novels and see if i missed anything i just got the newest one I think it's volume 6 or 7.
    Ps were you read the light novel or web? Because from what the wiki said she was purposefully a mary sue in the web but the auther changed her in the light novel to give her more character. Check the wiki link above it says that under trivia.

2. booms1

booms1 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's very interesting stuff to know about. Thank you so much for the valuable information.

3. one eye

one eye Aspire to became NEET

Reading List:
    Link
    It is the same with 'white lotus'?:blobthinkingsmirk:

4. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, I just mentally combine the 2 into one category, since the story style for these follows a few common trends:"I was treated poorly, so I'll get revenge by treating everyone worse than I was!", "I was weak and bullied, but now, with this OP cheat power, I'm going to go try to learn how to stop being so beta!", or "I'm a naive living holy mother, watch how I try to fix the world with the power of Love, Kindness, Rainbows, and NAKAMA!"

Anyway, sorry if you are not interested in a male MC, I personally am not really all that picky about the gender of the MC, so I overlooked it.

5. Zaroz

Zaroz Existential Lurker Demonic Calamity

Reading List:
    Link
    Not quite the same thing. Mary Sue has a victim complex, while white lotus is a woman with the outward appearances of a saint, but is secretly a backstabbing bitch.

6. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As I've said, I've decided to follow the manga only. Maybe I'll read the whole novel some other time, but the anime, manga and light novel are doing their own thing with it...and although I find none of them to be bad at all, I like the manga version the best so to only view it as the manga is portraying it, I decided to not follow the other two if those two have any more releases. Also because I don't like re-reading stuff. I don't even watch animes of mangas I've read.

So...I don't know. Mary Sue seems naive and ignorant, but whatever the case she does think of herself as the good guy, the people around her does too, and she does rival the MC. And she probably focuses only on Tanya while Tanya focuses over the whole battlefield, the state of the country and even the whole world while she is fighting, so maybe that's why you don't get the sense of a rival...but what is a rival in a full scale war? Isn't every demon king vs hero novel like that? The hero only thinks of defeating the demon king while the demon king leads an army to wage war against the humans, something like that. Tanya is like the demon king here, while Mary Sue is the dumb hero who miraculously wins because of luck and plot armor and whatnot.

7. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much Mary Sue's from webnovels are all the same, first comes to mind that trash Very Pure Very Amiguous.

Wujigege likes this.