LCD The Second Coming of Gluttony

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shield Loyalist, Sep 26, 2018.

?

Which is strongest?

1. banana

18 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. ramen

104 vote(s)
    68.0%
  3. lilac

32 vote(s)
    20.9%
  4. naengmyeon

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bastil

Bastil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Darn, you're right (I think), Suyoung won that one, not earthlings as a whole. My B.

And indeed, the game-like environment definitely doesn't help things!

2. eulerman

eulerman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now the game-like system is just the excuse the big baddies use to influence others to take things like a game.

The lastest chapters tells a little about the firsts Earthlings in Paradise. They wanted to help Paradisians at first, but some got power and influence in that world and started to scheme for more power and control on the political sphere. Pushing others to fight at the forefront, severing ties with other races (it seems abandoning the Beastfolks was Earthling agenda), creating inner conflicts for more power (Sinyoung).

We don't know how they did thing before, but how they recruit now is earthling-centric. They take the dregs of society, make they firm slave contracts and use them as the forefront of any dangerous mission. They are the mayority, and their owners say to them to take things like a game. With just that you already have earthlings low on morals or control impulse being the norm in Paradise.

Then you have the invited. The people with influence and connections on Earth that take this as an opportunity. They are part of organizations that use Paradise as a way to get resources, money and more influence on Earth. Paradise as a world is an afterthrough. And like someone say earlier, they can do whatever they want and none on Earth will know. The only ones that know are your buddies and coworkers. They think the same as you, so the is no conflict of interest.

Elkon, Shield Loyalist and Arlos311 like this.
  3. Sablecaballero

Sablecaballero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, I don't know what were the backgrounds of the first Earthlings, but most of the big organizations we know of are criminal groups: Triads, Mexican Cartels and Sicillian Mafia: those aren't the kind of people that think of "the greater good" or "give and take"...

Rainingmoon and Elkon like this.
  4. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hoh. The 'banquet' sounds like a power-up/hunting event. Aaaaand we'll get to see our romantic Triad!

I can see it! Hao Win doing something for Seol and Chohong! :blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool::blobpopcorn_cool:

zenorth and Elkon like this.
  5. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    Seol is smooth :cool: Scoring points with Chohong like candies.

zenorth and Shield Loyalist like this.
  6. zenorth

zenorth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's funny that Chohong consider herself as Seol's Noona when she's actually younger than Seol.

Lonelycity likes this.
  7. chucke

chucke Going towards the glorious future

Reading List:
    Link
    She probably is looking down on him as she was in Paradise longer and has a higher rank.

Lonelycity likes this.
  8. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For starters, Paradise ain't a safe place. Even a ride to crime city reduced their numbers down to half. So you can't blame the Earthlings who doesn't want to risk their lives on dangerous missions. Also not everyone has a high level stamp like Seol, majority of them are under slave contracts, which is more reason for them not to be as enthusiastic as Seol.

Also, people who wanna escape reality will be more adamant to go to Paradise. It's not yet explained, but I think it's safe to assume that recruiters are rewarded based from the quantity of their haul. Anyone with a minor success with life won't be fooled or gullible that such thing as Paradise exist. Even if in the scenario where they believe of it's existence, they'd be more rational and suspicious for such a good deal.

I think there's a chance for the high rankers to solve the Parasite problem, but nobody just want to initiate and become a cannon fodder or a sacrifice. Also once you fall victim from the Parasites, you won't return to Earth anymore and will be converted to one.

Elkon likes this.
  9. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Status: Hungry for Growth』

Reading List:
    Link
    They will witness the birth of the training maniac~

10. Draksil

Draksil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Bachingchung
    But the Earthlings don't actually die for real. Also, the thing with the Parasites and using other species to birth new ones is a very recent development, as in only a few months old, so I don't think they captured live specimens for experiments until now. But what do you mean I can't blame the Earthlings who don't want to risk their lives on dangerous missions? That's what they're there for.

11. viprei

viprei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I'm sure I wouldn't want to lose my little game world where I can have anything I want with no repercussions

Elkon likes this.
  12. Elkon

Elkon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or go through the pain of getting heavily wounded constantly before eventually dying a horrible death.

elengee and viprei like this.
  13. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    isn't the money exchange rate crazy? You only need a few sliver coins and life like a king on earth. So why kill yourself if you only need a few sliver to become rich?

14. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, they are free to do whatever. If they want to be stronger then it's necessary to take missions. The Paradisians don't really have much choice, but to settle with those greedy humans.

Also it's always been like that with the Parasites. It's not a recent development, parasites find host and take over their bodies. Which is worse than death cause they won't be able to return to Earth. The women and men used for mating ain't really turned to Parasites completely, since Parasites would lose their ability to reproduce.

15. Draksil

Reading List:
    Link
    @Bachingchung
    Ah I think you're right in regards to the Parasites, I forgot they normally take over bodies (though I don't know how big a risk that is for humans, since beasts probably have better specs to act as hosts, since much of humans' strength comes from their skills, which I imagine the parasite taking over their body won't be able to use)

16. Draksil

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never seen people comment on other fantasy novels and say: "I can't believe anyone would ever want to be an Adventurer, after all, there's a risk of getting injured and dying" - even though I can agree with the sentiment
    But being Adventurers is exactly what the Earthlings were brought to Paradise to be. And they even have a much bigger safety net than most other adventurers in novels, in that the Earthlings have the possibility to return to Earth after dying (and they'll even forget about their potentially horrible death): A return to Earth and their life there where their debt is paid, or a lot of extra money on their bank account, and most aren't as extreme as Seol in that they only live for Paradise, so they'll still remember the last couple of years of their Earth life and the better standing they have there now.

I think the Author never should've allowed people to go back to their lives on Earth after death in Paradise, that way it would make more sense in my opinion why the Recruiters are mostly going for outcasts of society who have debts and not much of a choice, add more meaning to whenever someone dies in Paradise, and also why the Earthlings in Paradise act the way they do: Both towards Paradisians, since many Earthlings would more justifiably feel to be in a slave contract with their lives on the line, actually risking their lives fighting for another world (and not as it is now with chance to live on), which could easily turn into bitterness towards the natives of the world they're protecting. Right now the Earthlings just seems more like ungrateful people, having their debts paid off, big corporations paid billions of dollars, yet they turned their weapons against the natives (the earlier war) because they felt they weren't treated right and risked their lives? (though not really risked their lives)
    It's not like the plot device with death in Paradise not being a real death is totally meaningless, since for Seol, death in Paradise almost translates to a real death, since he has nothing to live for on Earth, but it cheapens the others' death for me at least.

17. Elkon

Elkon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like people keep on undervaluing how much of an impact on loosing years of memories can happen on people. I can see ex adventurers having extremely high suicide rates due to psychosis and other mental issues that come with loosing large amounts of memories. There is a reason why people who have lost their memories in an accident need a support group of trusted people to be around them for long periods of time, something that may not happen with individuals with slave stamps. And for their friends in paradise it would be like watching your friend go through a horrific accident and loose their memories. I do agree that it would be more serious if they just died though.
    My personal thoughts on the paradise/ earthling interaction is that the majority of the earthlings treat paradisers as NPC's as a coping mechanism. Think, what is scarier: horrific monsters in a single death virtual reality game or horrific monsters in real life? I also agree with the fact that some of it might come from the types of people being gathered up to go to paradise.
    Going to war also seems perfectly natural, even here in the real world you have countries going to war for land and natural recourses, what do you think would happen if a triad or mafia leader got the chance to become a ruler by getting rid of someone that is relying on them? Not every war needs big reasons for it. I could see one short sighted egotistical leader starting something and it rapidly devolving into paradiser vs earthling.

18. waleuska

waleuska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is because i think you are only looking at the good of it and not the bad. I don't think it is just losing your memories of paradise. You lose a huge part of yourself. You speed, strength, and other even people you met along the way.

I bet everyone who dies in paradise have a missing feeling. They aren't as strong as they use to be. They lives use to be exciting and now it is boring. I think dying would be better than just losing your memories. You can either die in a blaze of glory of become avg once again. Most people don't want the avg live.

19. Draksil

Reading List:
    Link
    @waleuska
    We haven't seen anyone try to cope from the memory loss associated with death in Paradise, so I guess it's hard to discuss it. But can they even remember not being average once they die in Paradise? Can they remember their lives being exciting? If they can't, then they won't miss it

20. Elkon

Elkon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But they will miss large chunks of memory which can impair brain functions as they try to find links that aren't there and potentially cause mental issues. Don't forget, they will loose any memories relating to paradise, even if they come from speaking to people on earth. How badly it affects people will be reliant on how well supported ex rankers are supported by their backers.