Question What is your ideal web novel chapter word count to read?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by augustwrites, Aug 4, 2019.

?

Assuming the ratio of words/release time stays the same, what is your preferred chapter length?

1. Under 1000 words

2. 1000-2000 words

3. 2000-4000 words

4. 4000-7000 words

5. 7000-10,000 words

6. More than 10,000 words

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. augustwrites

augustwrites Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys, I've recently started writing an original web novel, and I'm curious if people have a preference when it comes to chapter lengths.

I personally prefer chapters around 2000 words. However, I've noticed some publishers (like Tapas) push for shorter chapters because they assume their readers are reading on their phones in short sprints.

Just curious what your reading habits are. Also please note that this is assuming that the numbers of words released over a given time is the same. Think a 2000 word chapter released daily, vs a 10,000-word chapter released every five days.

2. Maelstrom08

Maelstrom08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CN,JP,KR=~2000 words
    ENG= ~4000-7000

Kiskaiya likes this.
  3. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    4 to 10 thousand words is my ideal number. However, you need to understand that the quality of the chapters matters here, I'd rather read a good and well made 3k chapter than an overextended and boring 10k chapter.

Greater thunder and Maelstrom08 like this.
  4. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel most novels with 2k words a day have less thinking and planing in them than 10k words every five days. so I'd say the more the better, it also give you chances to change/improve what you already write before posting the chapter.

Kiskaiya likes this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    2000words per chapter per novel per day sounds good to me

6. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    The more words the better, since I use it to past time when using public transport(1h30m bus + subway ride to work)
    If its full of filler then NO, its not funny nor interesting to read world building and technique explanation every chapter only to know later that it will be forgotten or worst, explained again.(I'm looking at you most CN novels).

Something like Heavy object is a good example(well depending on your taste) it has 10K words plus per chapter but the story progresses throughout the chapter.

7. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Content matters. Don't spend time thinking how many words you should write, spend more time thinking how story should progress. You are not doing school assignment, why set limit to your writing.

8. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    huh!!??
    i remember Death March having 7-20k words. . . .
    and hell what do word count got anything to do with a good novel?

hell just write it,
    learn how to pace,
    and welp content!!!

9. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is very much depending on the authors style. More descriptive styles will have greater chapter lengths. Also the word count will vary depending on the individual content. An intense duel is shorter than a battle (which would most likely be split into multiple chapters anyway). You also do not cut just because you hit a world limit. You cut when it makes sense, and preferably with a mini cliff (the euphemism would be page turner, lul).

10. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on the story and release frequency.

webnovels I would typically like between 1-3000 words. but in general, as I prefer published more, I like seeing wordcounts reach upto 8000.

as long as the chapters gets somewhere reasonable with the words it has, I won't complain. just dont expect me to enjoy 4000words that consists of the character waking up, getting dressed, having a short conversation and then finally thinking of leaving the house. thats 3500 words too many for so little content >.>

Greater thunder likes this.
  11. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Each chapter should be as long as it needs to be to get the point across. If that means it's a short chapter, then so be it. If that means it's an exceptionally long chapter, then that's what needs to happen. While there are presumably good reasons for forcing yourself to stick to arbitrary word counts and even chapter counts in a novel, if you fail to convey the information you need to or convey too much in some cases, then it's not worth it sticking to those numbers.

12. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    I like a general area of 2k, but I feel every chapter needs some kind of goal with content pursuing that chapter's purpose. If there's no resolution by the end of a chapter, then calling it a chapter is meaningless.

13. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My preferences are usually longer chapters since they give me more time to read, and thus more immersion. Shorter chapters usually lead me to drop a novel fairly quickly.

14. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Just end each chapters with a steep cliff so that your reader will rage for more. The Dao of cliffhanger.

Skaistise likes this.
  15. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends. If I wished to have a great time with a thought-provoking mystery, mind-gripping fantasy and deeper-than-abyss plots, then I preferred long chapters to absorb myself into the world. 10K seems like a great size for me.

However, if I'm in for some actions and a good time, not minding the too heavy content, then 2k-5k is a pretty quick read.

16. Nanolyte

Nanolyte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh I prefer the more the better but only if it doesn't affect chap upload schedule

Ofc it needs to drive the plot and not just be a whole lot of description or filler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.