Merging Yaoi + Shounen Ai and Yuri + Shoujo Ai into BL and GL

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by LaDyViL, Feb 6, 2018.

?

Merge the genre into BL/GL?

1. Agree

192 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. Disagree

141 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I believe this thread will count for an exception to necro rule....
    as for like spree, meh either someone is an idiot or genuinely loves every word spoken in this thread

2. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never said just this thread....
    Many of the old threads are getting necroed by the person who’s on the like spree...

3. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I got likes for 3 different threads from 2017 earlier and all from different people~
    Well its not necro since they technically didn't post anything

AliceShiki and Lonelycity like this.
  4. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh I am following the persons trail as we speak~~
    The one who’s on the spree XD
    It’s fun cuz I never read the said threads~~

Ddraig likes this.
  5. Boon

Boon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people just don't want to read the gay stuff, and they don't know the strange terminology of a foreign language. Those who aren't weebo's and don't read Japanese novels won't understand wtf shounen ai is.

6. agathe

agathe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’d prefer BL & GL , even more as yaoi, yuri, et, are from Japanese culture, and the difference between shounen ai/ yaoi, is based on the « explicit content « or not. Then what about bara, etc. BL /GL is more general and makes more sense

I think the « explicit content » could be indicated separatly . It could also be « rated « like 0 none ,and 1/2/3 basicaly like first base (kiss), second base (intimacy), 3 being explicit displaay of sexuality

This could apply to every title. Maybe some people who are scared of BL would hesitate less if they feel safe about that
    (And well for the R18, that’s pretty hilarious, who is going to wait that long or be honest about is , if really curious :p )

It’s fun that it’s a question that still live after so long, how come it has not been implemented ?

applebeans likes this.
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Tony is the one that implements changes to the site, as long as he isn't convinced, then the changes don't move forward.

This also requires handling some database stuff and what not, and it might be a bit too much of a hassle, so...

We don't know rather he agrees to the change or not, but if does, it's probably in the backburner.

8. agathe

agathe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All right :)
    We will survive, it’s already great anyway :D
    I find this desire to do better very sweet, but i don’t mesure what kind of work load it represents ˆˆ;;

At least, as far as changing or adding tag, can’t it be a collective work ? (Anyone who sees can change it, or add to it isn’t it ?)

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Tags are easily added/removed. You can easily create a new tag or delete an old tag simply by adding it to a new novel or removing all novels with said tag.

The same isn't true for genres though, they're set in the database. While you can add/remove them from a specific novel, the genre doesn't really disappears from the database just because you removed it from the novels~

So... It's more complicated~

10. agathe

agathe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, but would it help if we at least add a generic « bl/gl » when we meet one ? (At least everyone can understand them :))

11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, if you add a BL tag, it will just be removed by the mods or someone stalking the tag edit logs.

The genres still serve their purpose, even if we'd like them to be merged after all~

12. agathe

agathe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, i won’t do it then
    I wondered, because i did edit one tag, to remove a wrong information, if it adds more work, it’s a bit useless :/

13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    No no, do feel free to add/remove tags if they're needed, most tags in NU are user-managed~

Just don't add a BL or GL tag to a novel, because that will be removed.

14. agathe

agathe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes boss ! :D

15. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 agreed.
    If it does contain mature content, maybe a R-18 or Adult tag could be added

17. novelideot

novelideot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For those saying that there's a difference in maturity/intensity between shounen ai and yaio, it would help if there were actually explanations for the tags in general. As a non-consumer of sa/yaio, I vote both pairs get merged.

18. Traveling Chef

Traveling Chef ⁽ʕ•̀ω•́ʔ╯.+:。Professional Unichef~

Reading List:
    Link
    as someone who doesn;t know the difference between any of them really (I've only read a few "gay" and lesbian" novels) I liked Ai-chan's suggestion of instead of BL/GL just go with "gay romance" or "lesbian romance" seems simple enough for a genre and then use tags to further break down if its; explicit, youths, starting straight, or what have you.

Ai chan likes this.
  19. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still on the fence about this, but...

If they do get merged, I vote for using "Girls' Love" and "Boys' Love" and not Gay and Lesbian. There's a big difference in style and content between the stuff we have here on NU and Gay and Lesbian books. There's typically a difference in the target audience, too.

For one, GL is unlike BL in that it covers a broad category of things, including stuff that's never more than subtext. At the very, very bottom of the scale, it can be difficult to decide if something even deserves the "shoujo ai" tag. They most definitely do not deserve to be called "lesbian". (There's nothing wrong with S-Class and its many friends, they're just GL, not lesbian.)

Secondly, I think a lot of places use m/m (male/male) and f/f (female/female) to refer to "gay" and "lesbian" works anyway, just because it avoids overwriting bi or pan characters (and readers) with the gay/lesbian label.

felinoir, applebeans, LiLi041 and 2 others like this.
  20. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's something I wanted to implement for awhile but it's finally here! You can now create recommendation lists that you can share with your friends.

What's a recommendation list? It's a list which will allow you to add and rank novels based on whatever factor you decide. Here's a list I made as an example: https://www.novelupdates.com/viewlist/1/

[​IMG]

You can also comments on yours and the list of others. As the list owner, you are also able to delete comments. The list is yours after all so you should have full control over what goes on there.

Recommendation Lists
    All public lists will be displayed here: https://www.novelupdates.com/recommendation-lists/ (You can access it from the sidebar and/or mobile menu).

Public lists will also be shown under the "Lists" section from the novel page.

Alternatively, you can also mark your list as private and it won't be shown anywhere on NU. The only way to access a private list is with a direct link.

For your list to be shown here, your list has to be public AND it must contain at least two novels.

How Do I Create My Own List?
    Go here: https://www.novelupdates.com/recommendation-lists/ and click on "Create List"

Advanced Search
    You can search lists which contains the novels and/or tags you're looking for.
    [​IMG]

New Profile and Account Settings Redesigned
    I had to separate the two because it was getting a bit cluttered.
    [​IMG]

You can go visit my profile if you want to see it in action: https://www.novelupdates.com/user/3/Tony/

or visit your account settings: https://www.novelupdates.com/account/

You can also access these links by clicking on your user icon located at the top right corner.

Dark Mode
    You no longer need an account to use dark mode. You can change your theme by clicking on your user icon located at the top right:

[​IMG]

...and that's it!!! These features took me a lot longer than I expected but I'm happy I'm finally done blobmelt_thumbs

If you run into any problems with these new features, please report it in this thread and I'll fix it as soon as I can.