Discussion Feeling extremely betrayed! (The Second Coming of Gluttony)

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Fiftyshadesofsucku, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Fiftyshadesofsucku

Fiftyshadesofsucku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was extremely bored and went on novels ranking(to check once in a while), and found a new novel "The Second Coming of Gluttony" I read the reviews most(if not all) were 5 stars with barely any negatives! Too good to be true? Was I right? Probably...
    I enjoyed reading it till chapter 31 and like all things wrong that could go wrong happened in that chapter! Supposedly the MC most closely is described Chaotic character, kind of, but as what he considers himself as and likes to convince himself he is "not a saint nor a demon" yea right. Right, sure. Of course. After a long time of reading novels, I thought I would already be not so naive to believe that, but no. I full heartedly believed it, and for a good reason, most of his thoughts reflect that as is most of his actions, that is until he gets to "neutral zone" and starts on attracting garbage baggages leeching immortal puppet harems, THAT ARE USELESS. My god. There was this "Yun Seora" (girl of course, yea what did you expect?) had her arm broken cause why not, poor person can't earn any points.. here comes our "nor saint nor demon" of his own effort to help, literally slaving points and piggybacking her, it's even mentioned that she leeches off of him-.-. He doesn't even have romantic feelings for her, no. Just like that. Apparently, how he wants to heal her arm is even more ridiculous!! He requested(beg?) a maid(all the staff at the neutral zone are girls, soo neutral wow!) to heal her arm, she was the only one capable and her condition to heal is for him to pay ridiculous sum of points(points are like your lifeline here, very very important), and he agrees. Even though he needs those points to buy many things(even if he didn't, he still shouldn't). And the consequence for the maid to do that is,

-she leaves the neutral zone(bad),
    -losing all achievements(very bad),
    -becoming heavily injured.
    -going beyond zone, is she meeting MC there?
    And she still does it LOOOOL.

I don't even want to talk about the annoying "very angelic, holy Yi Seol-Ah". There is even a "Revival item" IN TUTORIAL, just so she could live on and leech off of him by thanking him(alot). It's all my mistake, all because I didn't pay attention to the harem tag. Harem now means, carrying immortal leeches. It was all ruined. Ruined....
    Our nor demon nor saint is................ A betrayal. The author cornered and forced MC into harem! All lead characters(90%)are females:

1.The very important no one knows about Yun seora. What even. Is she the female lead or what?
    2.The pure angelic seolha(her brother is only important because she exists).
    3.His trainer, the maid.
    4.Yun seora's healer, his area's maid, also another maid.
    5.His inviter, big manager.
    6.The european odelette delphine lol. 2nd top competitor.
    Who else?
    Everytime he turns his head, he meets them. And helps them obviously because yea, yea. Okay.

2. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    omg, what a stream of consciousness...
    did you, like, not notice the harem tag? If you don't like harems, avoid the tag? And the author gives proper justification for his actions. At least it's not "just because" or by coincidence.

3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yandere ghost waifu
    Pink haired hooligan princess
    Paladin of Slaughter
    Daughter of luxuria
    Golden piglet(yun seora)
    Loli mad priestess
    The great Con artist(manager)
    Demonic Maid Trainer

I think somebody said that he will have 21? Brides?

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the problem is the harem tag (even thought I don't like romance nor harems in novels) but instead is that you followed the opinions of people who liked the novel, just because lots of people liked something doesn't mean that you will as well :blobsweat_2:

5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    He will at least get the 7 mad women of paradise

And why are focusing on the female companions? They are but a subplot like in sevens the harem is just there for alliances and comedy, focus more on the story as a whole.

firefox1234, Cryarc and Edy3 like this.
  6. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    If I didn't read the novel, then I would have considered your opinion. BUT, as someone that has read to the latest free chapter, and also someone that read Overgeared to the latest chapter, as in passing the 100+ chapters mark, I can say that you have absolutely no idea what the heck is "progression" or plot progress, and understanding of the plot/characters. Not to mention that you don't even care about the "Harem" tag and complain about the Harem. While the MC is a different Grid but grow up faster, but still has problems and naive.
    And if you only stopped at the Neutral Zone, then that mean you are still missing more than half of the novel,at least current translated chapters and Hasn't even stepped into the Main Story, think of the Neutral Zone as the Prologue of a Game you need to complete before progressing to the Main Story Quest in a RPG

7. Fiftyshadesofsucku

Reading List:
    Link
    lol. I was too preoccupied with the dazzling 4 pages of 5 stars to notice the harem tag.

So it's eventually that...

I think so too. Just that what I read from the reviews not a lot mentioned the girls all around him or harem, so I was optimistic. Although it doesn't exactly go with his personality anyways.. just frustrating but yes you're kinda right

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2019
    Astro3207 likes this.
  8. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Even tho it's a harem, there is much more to the story there. It's honestly quite good and quite rich.

9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    That's only the highly "liked" reviews though. There's plenty other reviews (like mine) that say that it's pretty much just your average generic novel.

But anyway, going by the rest of your post, it seems like you actually liked this novel except for the harem, which is the least of its problems, so I find it quite ironic that you're complaining about the high rating... (Since presumably you would've though the rating was accurate otherwise.)

p.s. with that said I'm actually up to date with the novel's latest releases since despite being generic I still found it entertaining enough to read. (The MC is still just as dumb and hypocritical as in the start though, he just seem to never learn or grow up...)

firefox1234 and Cryarc like this.
  10. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    -It has a plot focus and plot progression.
    -Character development isn't forgotten either.
    -Romance isn't super fast. Harem, well...
    -The fights are nice.
    -And I read it every day.
    -GN.

11. Fiftyshadesofsucku

Reading List:
    Link
    What does you reading till the latest, or even reading overheated relate to you judging my knowledge of "progression" or plot progress?
    All I know is his personality was this and that but then all of a sudden all things happen just so he is forced to help the girls. It's extremely annoying. As for where I am and where you are in the plot, doesn't matter, what I care about is at the moment. He's slaving quests so he can pay points..

It's not that I suddenly like the novel, it's just that there aren't many things to read, and I've read a lot of novels already. Having not read novels in binge for a while(only pursuit of truth and my house of hotels as updates) I decided to see and this came up so I was trying not to be too picky, just a zombie reading and enjoying. Generic can be fun too. And since I don't have anything to read, so... although this contradiction with his personality and all kinda ruined it but whatever lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2019
    Astaroth likes this.
  12. Waske

Waske Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a review which stated the problem you mentioned. Although he did not talk about the mc not helping his friends until his manager brought it up.

Astaroth likes this.
  13. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    You said "forced", but did you even read those chapters? He helped them with a reason, all of them were with reasons, and even understandable. "Give and take" and as repayment for the Yi siblings, while Yun Seora then because it's a "favor" and because of his ability. It isn't "force" like one of those Xianxia novels where the MC can find treasures just by walking in the street. And his "slaving quests" make me laugh, considering he still has points to spare, and only pay for them after knowing he can get it back, it didn't even last more than a chapter.
    You said it and the novel said it, he is "nor a saint nor demon". He did it because they were in his ability to do so and not because of an unbelievable "plot armor" power that come from somewhere. He consider the risks, and have solutions for them so he did it. The chapter explained even his train of thoughts, and even showing his unease and being undecided until his "emotions" come to play, which is a "plot point" from the 1st chapter of the novel.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    CheezyMayo, firefox1234 and Cryarc like this.
  14. Sablecaballero

Sablecaballero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you really read the novel? Because most of what you are saying makes zero sense.

1- He forgot about Yun Seora for two whole months. He didn't care a bit about her. Then his manager tells him a VVIP who is Seora's Patron will owe them a big favour if he helps her. And she would be gratefull too. Only when he is told he'll be getting a reward he makes the effort to help her.

2- Mary considers the pros and cons and decides that the huge amount of points she'll get are worth more than what she will lose. Like any moneygrubber would do.

3- Lot of people dies in the tutorial. It only makes sense that they could get revived there if they pay for that (since they are still in a god-created area and most restrictions from Paradise aren't in effect)

And finally, I can't understand how you are dissapointed that a Harem novel has a harem. WTF dude.

Also, being Chaotic doesn't mean he is an Angel AND a demon. It means he is NEITHER! Most of the time he helps someone is because his Ability is telling him he will get some benefit from doing so. He isn't a knight in shining armor saving everyone, not does he kill people because they annoy him.

15. Cryarc

Cryarc 『Procrascinating Illustrator』

Reading List:
    Link
    You're feeling betrayed just because people rated it highly and you found out that you don't like it that much? (¯―¯٥) People have different taste and obviously enough: reviews are subjective, even the most objetive reviews will bound to have subjectivity in it. People might love the things you hate and vice versa, it's your own fault to be so gullible...

runsing likes this.
  16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read "The Second Coming of Gluttony" so I'm just going to deal with this in general terms. The mistake you made was to take the ratings of a novel on NU seriously. At the best of times user generated review numbers are useless, and the ones on NU end up being even worse. There are a couple of reasons for this. The biggest one is that the users on NU tend to be young which further reduces the reliability.

The problem is that the counterpoints are drowned out by the praise. The book has a 4.7 rating and at that point any criticism amount to little more than noise. It's easy to be tricked if you assume the ratings are meaningful.

17. Loyt

Loyt New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well.... Chaotic trait and MC's self-evaluation as selfish and neutral are sort of scam.
    MC is kind and righteous man obviously. But he didn't change suddenly in neutral zone. He was like that from the start (ok, almost, after the dream). He becomes ashamed of his actions, returns money to his ex - not selfish things at all.
    At the very start of tutorial he was reserved at helping anyone indeed. But that was sudden life-threatening situation in completely unbeknown place. Despite that MC soon get into a fight with "sadistic trio" - only because he can't bear to watch them bullying others. He helps kid to revive his sister, helps to save Seora, give coins for passage to other girl and his "sidekick".
    All of that - even before Neutral zone.

MC is not "altruist of the year" ofcourse, he kinda put his own wellbeing first. But then he thinks he has the ability to help, he helps. Like many people would.

About Maria and healing episode i absolutely agree, there were no benefits of holding ceremony, Maria acted out of character.

Harem thing is a bit cheesy, but author kept it in moderation until now. Hope it won't become silly japanese-style romcom.

18. Loyt

Loyt New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But he felt like helping her even before that. Just out of compassion. And siblings too - no bigwig asked him.
    Nope. It was explained, that points only cover offerings cost. Maria did it pro bono, lost all wage-points and got bad rebound.
    All for director Kim's favor (even better - third party promise of). But Maria is not some political animal - she is greedy loner keepin to herself. Does such promise even worth it for her?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019