Resolved NU Theme reset?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Milanin, Aug 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been wondering now for a few days, with the new on main page Theme selector, whenever I log in without changing the Theme first, it always defaults.

It's not a ground-shaking earth-breaking bug, but it's just one of those things I'd like resolved.

What I did to see that happen & test it:

Chrome without history & visiting novelupdates.com - The page Theme is Default

Logging in - The Theme stays Default

Changing the Theme to Dark - It changes it to Dark

Logging out - The Theme stays Dark, even with page refresh, shows me logged out.

After a few refreshes - It shows me logged in. (Did it perhaps pool the NUF to log me back in or did it just not log me out as it should have?)

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    What device are you using? Do you have Javascript turned on? Do you have any add ons?

Just trying to ask a few things that might help Tony find the problem.

3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/nu-nuf-frequently-asked-questions.62709/#account_53

also, the new theme selector settings should persist, even without logging in. so the theme stays dark even after logout, is how it should be. in other words, if you chose dark-crisp theme without logging in, and when you log in afterward, you should still have the dark-crisp theme enabled.
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/5130513/

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  4. Milanin

Reading List:
    Link
    Device: A computer. Using Chrome. Tab with no history retention version.
    Javascript: Does it still exist? Is it used in No history?
    Add ons: There are add ons for when it's in the no history Ctrl+Shift+N mode?

Also, it has changed a bit now that I'm trying it out on my personal laptop, but it was even logging me back in at work and showing the reading list and tick boxes to select. I don't thing that's only theme related.

5. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    It sounds like you are talking about two separate issues. If NU keeps logging you back in automatically, try logging out of the forums and then out of NU. One of the two sites knows when you are logged into the other and tries to be too helpful @Milanin

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the theme is not sticking then you probably have cookies disabled. Please re-enable cookies and try again.

7. Milanin

Reading List:
    Link
    They kind of are? Yet seem to be happening at around the same time period, so I just bunched them together thinking that some changes to one thing lead to the connection of two things.

As for the being helpful thing, I never had NUF pull from NU to log me in.

The problem is that, when I logged into my account on NU, while the page itself was on Default, it would log me in (refresh the page? is it doing that now or did it stop?) and not change the page to Dark as set in the settings on it's own like it used to, but in fact stay as Default.

8. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    So, it’s not recalling your data when you are logged in?

Old method of theme: account based
    New method: cookies

I imagine that it’s currently a mix of the two. We definitely know your cookies are getting deleted and interfering with the new method, which is semi-expected behavior. What would not be expected is the loss of the theme when you set it after logging in.

@Tony is any of what I’m saying holding up? The last time I set my theme was the old method. Does setting dark theme through the menu while logged in create a cookie or also change it more permenantly with account settings?

It sounds to me like melanin might be setting it before logging in which naturally wouldn’t stick, but he’s set it enough times that I imagine at least once was after being logged in lol. Melanin says quite clearly in his first post that he is changing the setting after logging in. It also sounds like he might have been using dark mode before the change.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  9. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    R.I.P Me

< Uses Sandboxie

10. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Does it not work for you?

11. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Previously it does but yeah not anymore.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  12. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    Refresh the page and log you in if you're logged into the forums? That's the normal behavior and it's always been like that.

If your theme isn't saving then you're not allowing cookies to be saved. Are you browsing the site via incognito mode or anything similar? It's two different problems.

13. Milanin

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is:

I never noticed it before, when if it logs you in if you have both open, since whenever I was logged into NU first, it never logged me into NUF on it's own before.

And perhaps it's the cookies, since at work everyone is supposed to use incognito for whatever reason. But that should be a new change right? Because the theme used to automatically be turned to the theme I set in the settings when I logged in previously.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  14. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    So the old account settings got completely replaced with the cookie method?
    (edit: came out confrontational but I’m just sleepy and curious)

15. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    It's happening to me too. It happened with the new updates. I'm logged in the site, but the theme keeps switching to default most of the time. I have to change it constantly.

It's actually so annoying I decided to make a thread until I saw this.

Before, you just needed to log in and your settings were saved.

Now, it does not matter. If you exit out the browser, your settings are cleared.

16. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    If you use incognito then that's the problem. Yes, the old method has been removed in favor for the new method.

New method = everyone can use it. Old method = members only feature.

Sorry about that!

Yes, the old method got completely replaced. Also, the reason why your settings for your theme (dark mode) was saved is because three days before the feature got released, I made it so it would save the user's setting via the new method. This would prevent a lot of random threads like "WHERE IS MY DARK MODE?!?"

Correct. It sounds like you're using incognito mode. You need to allow cookies to be saved to be able to save the new themes.

17. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not a mix of both? I kind of assumed the new method would only really be used when logged out for some reason. :thinking:

Just curious about the thoughts behind it.

Milanin likes this.
  18. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it's not incognito mode. Tony, I'm sure you know I would not make that mistake.