Discussion Novels you liked before you grew a taste

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Jojo775, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't necro the same thread on sufficient velocity so I remade it here.

"it occurred to me that there are lots of fics I used to think were amazing that I now don't. Not because they've changed, but because I have. This is the thread for fics you enjoyed once, but now when you go back and look at them find that they aren't good."

For me it'd be pretty much all web novels with the gems of the gems as exceptions. For fics, it would be ones with insta OPness and edginess, bashing of suddenly 2D canon characters, oh and The Spider, gotta hate the spider.

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't like the spider? unbelievable
    [​IMG]
    :blobpeek:

3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything Japanese

JK but mostly not JK

Lonelycity, Kotohood, Yanissa and 6 others like this.
  4. bakugo

bakugo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese cultivation novels

mir, Raneday, Lonelycity and 8 others like this.
  5. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...for fics I guess ones with reverse harem. Years ago, there was a fad where the heroine is being pursued by different guys and every chapter she meets a new guy and that guy likes her. I liked it before, how I couldn't predict who's gonna be the next guy in the next chapter. But now I think that's just a bad writing; the plot doesn't go anywhere and the girl can't make up her mind about who she's gonna pick.

Illisaide, michiesther9 and Yanissa like this.
  6. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, TDG is the first that comes to mind second but not the least would be Immortal Mortal ( god I hate that shit ) . MDG and even I couldn't believe it The Strongest System , basically as it was paywalled and I couldn't read it daily as I went back when I got a source again I just found it NOT worth the effort to catch up

7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I still prefer what I used to enjoy back when I started on WNs. My taste in R-18/Adult novels has gravitated towards more vanilla, tho. :blobpeek:

flannan likes this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    for WN
    none at all~ I mean I feel bored before finish most WN from early translation WN era completed~
    19637.png
    for Novel I used to think City of Thieve is amazing but now imo it just oh~
    similar with novel from my country it title is Supernova~ I thought it was really something but after discard some flowery words I fell it just meh~

mir likes this.
  9. penguinleecher

penguinleecher Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read TDG manga before hitting latest chapter, then read the TDG novel on wuxiaworld before finding actual good books on the same site.

Jojo775 likes this.
  10. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya I really liked the first few Japanese issaki novels I read but looking back they were crap. I just found the concept novel.

11. comradeprozac

comradeprozac Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's just the problem with harems in general to be honest.

Not a fic or a novel but I remember this manga that was called something along the lines of Wolf Man that was urban fantasy with a werewolf mc and his hot female teacher. I remember liking it at the times but I didn't really finished reading it and at some point it goes full NTR.

aceclover95 likes this.
  12. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best example would be CN novels like MGA. I liked them when I just started but now I like to stay very away from them. Also novels/anime/manga with young protagonists.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  13. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I think TDG is a common theme lol

firefox1234 likes this.
  14. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if you JK, I didn't mean that thing, whatever it is.
    Me too son, me too. Well everyone did, same for xianxia and then for infinity.
    I actually still read it, well if you can call the gathering once a month for 2min a reading. I know how bad it is, but it's kinda grown on me and I don't mind. Sure it started generic as fuck but it was one of the first xianxia I read and almost everyone enjoyed it back then, I just stuck around for this one even though I dropped a dozen others.

Deleted member 155674 and Zerak like this.
  15. Zerak

Zerak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya most cultivation novels are crap. The concepts used and powers are amazing but it’s like the interaction between characters was written by a person who never spoke to another human being, and the only thing they know about how people interact is what they read in other cultivation novels.

I find the any novel that uses the cliche of offending the young master (specially over a girl) more than once, 2 times tops is a shit novel.

Also the romance is non existent they chase the girl and fight was for her only to ignore her and chase another’s girl since writing about chasing new girls is easier than developing an existing character and giving them personality.

Also it’s annoying as hell how they describe how haven defying a girls beauty is that it literally becomes an abstract concept. And they appear so often that you would think people would get use to being around pretty girls.

And the way girls are treated doesn’t make sense when you have cultivation being an equaliser.

Also being unable to fight higher level cultivation is the most stupid shit I have ever heard. Sure it will be hard. But it’s no time fucking impossible the whole point of cultivation is defying the impossible.

16. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Definetely death march, a japanese web novel im used to praise and even become sort of crazed fans, but now i find myself cant do that anymore after reading hundred kind of novels. When im trying to re read, i cant hold more than 10 chapter. Kinda crazy when im doing a marathon of 16 volume in the past.

17. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    You nailed it with the first paragraph. Funny thing about heaven defying beatiful girls with jade feet(mmm) that the MC picks up as he progressively grows stronger is that each is described as the most beautiful woman possible but then gets thrumped by the next one coz apparently higher realm of cultivation = more impossible beauty. Yet they are never compared, they are all heavenly beauties of the highest caliber despite the first one practically being a rolling in the mud commoner and the last one a goddess.

mir, Lonelycity and Zerak like this.
  18. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    JPNs and Cultivation CNs really miss those old days....

Lonelycity and Astaroth like this.
  19. auraizen

auraizen aeu •.*°☆「procrastinating 」『always sleepy』

Reading List:
    Link
    The typical assassin/doctor transmigates into an unwanted young miss.
    I had read so much stuff where the MC was weak and flimsy so this was a breath of fresh air until I realized how dumb it all was.

And Isekai. then I got sick of it. Especially the harems asdsjfajlkfdj

mir likes this.
  20. Maelstrom08

Maelstrom08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.