Recommendations Surviving in Poverty, Realism in working to make Ends meet, SLOWLY accumulating wealth

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by SweetShireen, Aug 13, 2019.

1. SweetShireen

SweetShireen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like novels where the focus is protagonists making money and establishing a foothold in the world but most of these novels have MC going from poor peasant to wealthy business owners in the blink of an eye. I want to see the STRUGGLE, the day to day efforts and slow change in lifestyle. The payback seems more authentic that way and the process of surviving is much more satisfactory than instant rewards that dont have much meaning.

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Try 'Godly Stay-Home Dad'

3. Har D Rai

Har D Rai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    World of Cultivation. MC works hard and eventually gets richer. Though his expeditures are bigger too at that time.

6. SolInvictus

SolInvictus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chronicles of Primordial Wars is a good fit. The focus isn't on making money, but survival. The MC is an orphan struggling to survive. Also, the pacing is some of the best I've read in a wuxia. The MC takes time to grow but there isn't much redundancy.

Some find this novel dry, I thoroughly enjoy it because it's doesn't try to do too many genres. It's almost all about survival. Rather than half-assing a romance or harem or tragedy, it stays sharp and executes pretty well.

DragonMage18 likes this.
  7. SweetShireen

Reading List:
    Link
    These two are the perfect examples of what I'm looking for. Sadly, I have read them both already.

WoC does end up dealing with large amounts of money, but I enjoyed his life as a farmer while it lasted. Chronicles of Primordial Wars is AMAZING, and the "survival" aspect is what makes the novel stand out among the rest. I really wish there were more novels focused on SURVIVING and then growing in the world.

Fallion and SolInvictus like this.
  8. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    You might have to switch to actual novels then mate. Or perhaps manga.

9. SweetShireen

Reading List:
    Link
    My goodreads list is infinitely long, but I don't think I've come across many Western novels that focus on surviving and day to day struggles, most of them focus on overall plot and intrigue. If you have any recs for those categories then please let me know :blobwoah:

SolInvictus likes this.
  10. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    As you've said, novels generally have grander themes than the straightforward accumulation of wealth. I'd suggest 'The Richest Man In Babylon.' It's marketed as a self-help book on building wealth, but in execution, it is a collection of (Mesopotamian era?) medium-length stories about people who went from extreme poverty or slavery to riches.

Your next best bet would be to ask for recommendations on specific SubReddits. I've gotten some very good recommendations on very niche interests from there.

Lastly, I'd recommend 'Fantasy Heist' Novels. An interesting twist on the 'heist' genre. As you've mentioned, the story often grows beyond wealth building, but being a heist manga there is often an emphasis on money and how it's made.
    I'd recommend the 'Gentlemen Bastards Sequence' by Scott Lynch because the crew starts out as a bunch of orphans and grow every book.bunch of orphans. Also being fantasy it hits some of the same notes as wuxia. Damn good series. If Vlad Taltos Series is a 9/10 this would be a 7.5.

11. Reak

Reak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. DXHaseoXD

DXHaseoXD [Forever Alone] [Person who tries to translate]

Reading List:
    Link
  13. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont read dropped novels, shame cuz it looks good.