Discussion The Yuri Garden

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Moonpearl, Feb 13, 2017.

?

What should the next anthology title be? (Format is "__________: A Yuri Garden Anthology")

Poll closed Sep 7, 2022.
  1. Festival of Blooming Flowers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Festival of Blooming Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lily-White Wishes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Lily-White Wishes and Violet Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Autumn Lillies

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Planted Seeds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Everlasting Evergreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Branches on the Tree of Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Perennial Blooms

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. The Sight by Yuri Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The Good Luck Coin

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Yearning Under Rapturous Ideals

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a little late, but welcome to the Garden~!

:blobrofl: Which manga is this from?

Of course~! :blobsmilehappy:

Hm... Do you mean novels here on NU, or manga and other things too?

crimson_carnation, Sabruness and Ubik like this.
  2. Melina Red

Melina Red Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Watch 3 minute first episode of bl untame drama cause my little sister force me. I didn't like it at all, I didn't find actors good looking.

I wish chinese make GL drama too, imagine if they make drama of female general and elder princess, mistress, i was wrong, my is heart is excited, heroic female general x noble princess

Yandere Devil, Moonpearl and Ubik like this.
  3. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone: and with those who don't pass starting selection pretty please :aww: :cookie: Also I suggest putting it in different blog if it possible there are rather non-existent in western webnovel.
    Anime is more consolidated than novels. There will be no universal list. If I mention for example to read 5 my favourite novels people will be dropping yuri altogether.
    Some are like drama, some horror, some more in Chinese ones. And we didn't even have Korean GL ones. And if we add in equation GB ones..... so only some more specified ones lists. GB yuri, Chinese yuri, yandere FL, heartwarming and so on.
    I mentioned it here before.
    You know :hmm: there was..... in that novels. In "Mistress, I was Wrong" they film drama with plot of main story. And in one arks of "Quick Transmigration – Villain Walkthrough" they film yuri story that finally hooks villain boss to FMC.

P.S. and in Hana ni Arashi comes drama :notlikeblob: That was anticipated when reating ToC of 4 volume.

4. Yandere Devil

Yandere Devil QUEEN OF YURI- Love GL

Reading List:
    Link
  5. crimson_carnation

crimson_carnation Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay! :aww: Thank you!

Then is there a list that includes the entries that weren't chosen too? :hmm: Or something that lists and links to entries of all years?

Ubik and Moonpearl like this.
  6. AerynW

AerynW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are some Chinese GL dramas and movies! There's one that's literally called Girls Love lol.
    But ones that are adapted from novel tho......
    Haven't seen an ancient setting one yet also......

7. OtakuIsMe

OtakuIsMe Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  8. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    There isn't. They'll technically all turn up under the "Novel Updates Forum" section of the "Western Webnovels" part of the directory: https://forum.novelupdates.com/blogs/yuri-garden-western-webnovels.2025/
    But there's more than just entries there, and I'm behind on updating the directory again.

I'm hesitant to create such a list, though, since it might take away from the value of being featured in the OP as a prize. It might also mean having to give exposure to someone who deliberately broke all the rules and never really intended to enter, if such a thing was ever to happen in the future.

Ubik and crimson_carnation like this.
  9. crimson_carnation

Reading List:
    Link
    I never thought of that, but yes, you're absolutely right :sweating_profusely: People can get really creative when they want to unfairly take advantage of the rules. Then I'll stick to linking only the post with the entries, or would it be more preferable if I only linked the OP? :blobsnow:

10. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    It's fine to link to the post with the entries~! It's not the same as me linking to it in the OP.

crimson_carnation likes this.
  11. crimson_carnation

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true :cookie: I will link to the post then~ And once again, thank you! :blobbunny:

Moonpearl likes this.
  12. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Got a question because i'm lazy and curious about what others think.
    In case i missed anything, the manga "Qualia the Purple" got a crappy ending where : "MC successfully became fate or some kind of invisible entity, FL is unhappy and don't care about herself dying and just want MC to turn back into normal form and they go back into high school girls" RIGHT ? Isn't it a crappy ending if FL still dies ? (despite not shown)

I read it a long while ago when it appeared but is it only me that dislike the ending ?

13. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    The ending was a let-down, but the novel as a whole was good enough that I still consider it worth reading. I suppose there aren't many good ways to end something that trippy.

FL said she'd keep trying to evade death on her own, but it did hint that there was next to no chance of that happening. Her death is completely unstoppable, no matter what the MC does.
    I think the takeaway was that MC couldn't change anything because it's impossible to become anyone but yourself, because we're all bound in a little world made up of our own perception. She can never perceive anything the way other people do, so she can never become them.
    FL was begging her to stop torturing herself and everyone by continuing to try. Only FL's intervention could help her return to her body and to reality, though.
    I still don't get why her death was so unstoppable, though. Maybe it's time I reread it and see if I can understand it a little better...

Ubik likes this.
  14. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like i thought, a stupid ending.
    For her being always killed, MC said (unless i am inventing things) : "It's like the world wants "FL's name" Yukari dead".

15. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    It says that at one point, but it never really expands on why or how. I just realised you said you read the manga and not the novel. I'm not sure how good the manga is, but I suspect the novel does a better job of telling the story, given the amount of theory it had to explain to make it work.

Also, after a lot of thinking, I wonder if the point isn't about fate but about the MC's inability to change what happened?
    The theme of "Qualia the Purple" is human perception and human experience. When she learns the ultimate equation to the universe, the MC claims that she's able to transcend her own limitations and she leaves her body, becoming able to jump around all of time and into any body or item. She thinks she's become all-powerful and godlike.
    But the ending is about how she hasn't succeeded even after all of that, because she can't escape the true limitation of human experience: that we can only ever experience our own perception of the world.
    Maybe the idea is that we, as humans, can't wind back time or undo the death of our loved ones no matter how hard we try. We would have to become something inhuman to do so, and it's impossible for us. The most the MC can do is buy the FL a little time.

I don't think the ending was well-written, though. It was too quick, too tidy, and it tried too hard to be positive and happy. Even I'm struggling to think of a way to pull it off, however...

16. Tsuru55

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow in manga, MC could become different person even FL's mom because logic = everyone come from the same ancestor. She can't turn into Yukari though. Later she guesses she can't because she can't imagine how Yukari view the world.
    At the end it's kinda similar with becoming some kind of super invisible entity, I THINK she can saves Yukari in this form but somehow Yukari stops her BLABLABLA (i forgot) and they are back into high schoolers together.
    Try the manga it's not bad. Just ultra depressing when you see Yukari having dead fish eyes like in one koma/image of manga where MC explore possible futures, there she revealed the powers of Yukari and they are together on TV but Yukari got dead fish eyes. Also when MC becomes her mom and decides to not make her a little sister. Something something and because of how MC/mom brought her, she had dead fish eyes while walking on cross road and there is a car incoming = incident.
    I think there is also her brain in some kind of solution or something for preservation once.
    But yeah, try it when you got time because looks like there are some changes.

Moonpearl likes this.
  17. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, all that happened in the novel too. That was the result of her using the equation/knowledge that she had her little lover uncover for her. But Yukari points out at the end that she wasn't able to truly become her mother or anyone else; she could only become herself in another person's body.

18. OtakuIsMe

OtakuIsMe Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If anyone ever ask why they should read Yuri...
    [​IMG]

19. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    The Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2019) results are here now!

Results for the competition are in~! Thank you to everyone who participated.
    @Lemonfairy @Wandering Cultivator @AliceShiki @binarysoap @crimson_carnation @AsianessPride @Titan0fPower @Ninetailed_Furball @Suou @GDLiZy

The results are:
    1st place: "Perfect Day" by @crimson_carnation
    2nd place: "Spring Dream" by @crimson_carnation
    3rd place: "The Alchemist's Familiar" by @Ninetailed_Furball

@crimson_carnation wins both the $11,278 nuffies for first place and the $9271 nuffies for second place, totalling $20,549. Transferred in bundles of $500, that will be 41 lots of $500 and 1 transfer of $49.
    @Ninetailed_Furball receives the third place prize of $8271 nuffies. That's 16 lots of $500 and 1 payment of $271.

If anyone doesn't want their nuffies sent to them this way, please let me know. I'll wait 24 hours for the winners to get back to me before I go ahead with this format.

The winners can now send me the details of any other yuri stories they've written and any writer profiles or accounts they have. This can be updated in the future too - the advertisement does not expire.

Finally, contestants are now free to repost and edit their stories as much as they please~! I would prefer to have at least one copy of the winners' stories that aren't changed, but I won't make anyone provide that if they don't want to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    And thus ends my role as your impartial and kind of strict referee~! :blobmelt: There were so many great stories this year. I'll go fangirl later when I have a moment...
    Did everyone enjoy this year's competition? Are there any rules you'd like to have added or maybe altered for next year? I already have some I think I'll add.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    AliceShiki, Ubik, OtakuIsMe and 2 others like this.
  20. Keitaro123

Keitaro123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey ho~! i'm finally back after some minor issues~! (really what the heck? i keep getting into trouble left and right~!)
    But now that i am free from my burden~