Request How do I stop my creativity/curse?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not try playing some Choice of Games games? They're novels but you put together your own character and play out what happens. It's a fun way to tell a story without stressing yourself.

You can find them here: https://www.choiceofgames.com/

2. Lirikan

Lirikan [Charming Mollusca] [Cephalopoda Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just write it like a diary maybe it will be of some use but if you want to stop you can do new activity like going to gym,finshing, and anything that could spent your energy without harming yourself physically an mentally.

mir likes this.
  3. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    As for the others I would firstly advise you to start playing pen and paper roleplaying games as a game master (just remember to start as a player first to help you grasp the flow and mecanics of the game).
    But I wouldn't necessarly go for D&D as it's a game with a quite strong emphasis on mecanics and tactics (and players that goes for it are expecting combat and action, not a complex story needing a lot a finesse (players : :blobhero: :blobninja: :blobspearpeek: :blobcat_knife: :blob_thor: blob_crime :blobhero: MD ::blob_catflip: )).
    I think you'll do better with a more abstract kind of game, passing by in some game shop close to your home could help you to find other games with a stronger focus on storytelling, ambiance and creative thinking instead of battle, tactics, loot and levelling as there are usually regular beginner friendly free discovery demo sessions of various games there.

You can also go for more creative and storytelling based board and card games to help you to improve the overall structure of your stories and give you good habits in term of rythm and exposition management (like the card game Once Upon a Time, it's a really good one for people that have a lot of inspiration but doesn't know how to structure their ideas).

And thirdly, you can go seek a big rock, not as big as you can't lift it but big enough that hitting you repeatedly with it on the head could help you to think about something else... :blobdead:

4. Duran

Duran Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a reader, not a writer. So I can only give advice as a reader. I suggest reading "The Great Storyteller"
    There is a lot tips and training ideas about improving your writing.

Bad Storm likes this.
  5. Kotohood

Kotohood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I do is reimagine the scenes in a completely new or different way. Sometimes even the same way to improve upon it.

I can think in a non-chronological way, so the scenes in my minds are usually from different parts of my universe. Like re-watching an anime.

Other times I would just imagine other characters or setting. A totally different world that does not interfere with my current world that I'm writing.

6. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Which is fine, but recording your stories on your phone or computer will at least lessen the need or sorrow of loosing the stories. With it recorded you open yourself to options.
    For me do you know the most heart wrenching destruction in history. It was the destruction of Library of Alexandria. All those stories and knowledge just wipe away. Just having your stories brought out. Even to languish in your computer. It’s still better than to have it never to exist at all.
    At least that’s what I think.

mir likes this.
  7. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Choking your chicken, but within limits of course.I recall a kid dying a while back from doing it over 40 times out of boredom, The brat went way past the point of shooting blanks and was shooting out his lifespan by that point, so make sure to not cross that number and die on me now bud.(y)

8. Silv0

Silv0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People with writing block curse you

9. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in a similar boat, so I don't have a real solution.
    But I find that abstract doodling helps a little.

edit: I googled a little and might have found out why it helps.
    (TL;DR: it reduces daydreaming)
    "In 2009 Jackie Andrade, a psychologist at the School of Psychology, University of Plymouth, UK published an article in the journal Applied Cognitive Psychology titled ‘What Does Doodling do?’ The summary of the article explains…“Doodling is a way of passing the time when bored by a lecture or telephone call. Does it improve or hinder attention to the primary task? To answer this question, 40 participants monitored a monotonous mock telephone message for the names of people coming to a party. Half of the group was randomly assigned to a ‘doodling’ condition where they shaded printed shapes while listening to the telephone call. The doodling group performed better on the monitoring task and recalled 29% more information on a surprise memory test. Unlike many dual task situations, doodling while working can be beneficial. Future research could test whether doodling aids cognitive performance by reducing daydreaming”. (Copyright© 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.)”.

In a February 2009 TIME magazine article John Cloud refers to Andrade’s work as a “delightful new study” (which I understand was the first of its type) and goes on to unpack Andrade’s research very nicely as to why doodling aids memory.

The most persuasive theory is that when you doodle, you don’t daydream. Daydreaming may seem absentminded and pointless, but it demands a lot of the brain’s processing power. You start daydreaming about a vacation, which leads you to think about potential destinations, how you would pay for the trip, whether you could get the flight upgraded, how you might score a bigger hotel room. These cognitions require what psychologists call “executive functioning” — for example, planning and comparing costs and benefits. Doodling, in contrast, requires very few executive resources but just enough cognitive effort to keep you from daydreaming, which — if unchecked — will jump-start activity in cortical networks that will keep you from remembering what’s going on. Doodling forces your brain to expend just enough energy to stop it from daydreaming but not so much that you don’t pay attention. Andrade’s conclusion therefore is that “doodling aids concentration”.
    "
    In other words, doodling should give you a temporary break from your daydreaming about how to write your stories.
    My brain is quietest when I doodle and listen to music at the same time, because my brain just focuses on listening instead of analyzing it, so I recommend trying that.

Edit 2:
    Also, I don't think creativity is the problem. Everyone has some. Coming up with the background, setting and characters already shows that you have alot of it, since (from what I understand of writing) those parts need the greatest raw creativity of the whole process. It might be instead that your creativity being high made the first part easy and now you are facing the regular difficulty and feeling unprepared. The tutorial was too easy so now you feel a jump in difficulty and think you aren't up to it.
    Plus you always make the weirdest forum posts (the way you word them), which certainly requires alot of creativity.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  10. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey! That's an overstatement! My posts by far are actually normal compared to the rest here. I shall not accept false compliments.

mir likes this.
  11. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I meant "weirdest" as a word to describe, not literally the most weird.
    There are so many contenders for that title, that I don't think anyone could decide on just one, so that seat will stay permanently unfilled despite all the great candidates.

(But your posts are definitely not within the range of 'normal by far')

12. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

13. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a similar experience, had ideas but I'm horrid at writting, though they did not obsess me like you.
    Since it's always on your mind, unlike a whim of mine, why don't you learn how to write? There's an authors subforum here, on other forums and books to help authors write.
    I second DnD, with good players you can really get into character and try your best on the details. You should also read modern best selling printed novels(fantasy and sci fi ofc) to pick up some vocabulary and get used to the writting in depth, instead of these shitty 2D generic characters from web novels.

14. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to my life. Sorry, can’t help you. I’ve had an evolving saga in my head for the past 17 years or so. And a couple of others have sprung up in the meantime as well. The one thing that seems to help my break the cycle, is becoming obsessed with writing other stories (currently KH fanfics), which seem to drain my creativity dry for a while...

mir likes this.
  15. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Write them all! Massive edit later!

Well, how about gaining more confidence on your work. You need quite a lot of experience and practice to write well. Having a mentor or an editor might help you too.
    :blob_plusone:
    Tho I'm honestly disappointed with that ending :blobcry: