Recommendations Novels for New Readers to Start From/Binge

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by azha_, Aug 17, 2019.

1. azha_

azha_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Disclaimer: Some of these are extremely cliche, loved, and hated on. Aka, you DON'T have to like all of them, or even any of them really. These are just some of the more well-know novels that, I believe, are all worth checking out (lol mainly because of the amount of reads and reviews they have ;P). And walp, that's kinda the whole point of this list >.>

This list introduces the various popular/common/cliche tropes and genres of the translated novels community. I just want to point out the fact that this list is supposed to cover a wide range of genres and audiences. It doesn't cover everything, but I think most of them are here. I enjoyed these, and I think it's a good place to start reading from. (I tried to have novels for both male/female preferences). While some of these novels may be long, that doesn't mean you have to finish the entire thing -_- , if you enjoy it, good, keep on reading! If you don't enjoy it, then stop, no one's forcing you to continue.

The list is in no particular order, although I did try to put them into categories ... that kinda worked, ish. Some of these novels are officially licensed, so you may have to get the rest of the chapters from other sources (Google and *cough* aggregate websites *cough*).

Pls don't hate Orz. When I was first introduced to translated novels, everything seemed pretty good to me T^T.

https://www.novelupdates.com/viewlist/697/

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd recommend the Hungry Caterpillar.

Maybe you should also recommend what chapter to stop reading for some of these novels. For Release that Witch it would be around where Roland gets his new dream powers. For Human Emperor it would be chapter 1.

MissZer0q likes this.
  3. Darkwood

Darkwood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Throw ‘em in the deep end, start with crime and punishment.

otaku31 likes this.
  4. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To me most of the novels on there are not suited for new readers like Release that Witch/Strongest Sword God/Novel's Extra and etc.
    To expand on my reason: You put a lot of CN novels that have a lot of talk and no action plus with a mix of different genres that new readers may be put off of.

5. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No point in putting more than one xianxia/derivates in it. After reading one you know them all and tbh even the good ones are barely mediocre.

magecraft_unleashed likes this.
  7. b1w2c3

b1w2c3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Coiling Dragon was one of the first i started with that got me addicted. SAO was also one of them.

otaku31 and Nyanko like this.
  8. Izrail

Izrail Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Not Red Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    Noticed there was BL in there also which is not something someone new should try to read in my own personal opinion since that can be very off putting to some people especially if they just see it on the list and don't pay attention to the genre/tags.

10. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    I can agree on that one kek.

11. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    I am surprised it took seven posts before someone said this...

12. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2019 and we still advocate the "novel starter pack"

:blobpopcorn:

Just give em Invisible Dragon and that's that. :aww:

otaku31 likes this.
  13. Not Red Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    Not to bash or be mean to OP but I feel like this isn't something for new readers but is instead a list of novels OP likes and is trying to share with others.
    I don't think Mars Gravity is a author for new readers given my personal experience with his novels.

14. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the Holy Bible is great if you're starting to read xianxia. Jesus is such an underrated MC...

Devil of Boredom likes this.
  15. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    The newly enlightened are not ready to Grace their minds with the OG novel that is Invisible Dragon. One must read many "N O V E L S" (AKA sh*t aiming for word count or filled with plot armor/holes) before one can understand the profundity that makes Invisible Dragon the work of art that it is.

otaku31 likes this.
  16. Feng Tian

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think any of his novels deserve more than a 1 star rating. That stuff is so bad... like wtf. Its as if he went out of his way to do any possible writing fuckup available in every last one of his dumpstersfires.

Not Red Yet likes this.
  17. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Of the seven on the list I’ve read or are reading, many were those BL you look down upon. I think it’s good to have it there, because there will be people who prefer BL to shounen or seinen, and will not be interested in the rest of the list if they don’t see anything that appeals to them. It’s better to have a broader list.

Japorea likes this.
  18. Reyrey

Reyrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reverend Insanity babyyyyyyyyyy people need to wake the f out of their perspection on what's a protagonist and villain.

19. azha_

azha_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ty for all of the suggestions~
    And to respond to some of the comments: this is supposed to be a list with a wide range of genres to maybe hook readers into trying something new and reading something different. Basically, it's supposed to be a mush of novels that are very different from one another and have completely different audiences.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  20. pastlover

pastlover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think most of the novels should be coming from light novels and mangas since most (I think) of the audiences came after getting excited from reading mangas or watching anime